Far Cry 5

downzy

Anyone buying this on release day?

I’ve got a birthday around the corner so likely have my wife give me a copy. 

Havent played anything since Battlefront II. Was hoping RDR2 would be out around this time but I guess FC5 will fill in nicely 

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm not big on buying games on their release date largely because of cost.  Other than GTA and RDR, there aren't too many games I need to play right away.  New games in Canada are generally $80 and can usually be had on sale a few months later for 30-40 percent less.  But the wife is usually awful at coming up with ideas for my birthday so I figured this would help her out.

On 3/22/2018 at 9:43 PM, downzy said:

Yeah, I'm not big on buying games on their release date largely because of cost.  Other than GTA and RDR, there aren't too many games I need to play right away.  New games in Canada are generally $80 and can usually be had on sale a few months later for 30-40 percent less.  But the wife is usually awful at coming up with ideas for my birthday so I figured this would help her out.

I buy new for games I'm anticipating. But I try to avoid paying full retail price. For PC games, there are vendors that will often sell 10-25% below retail value. Bought ME:A for $47, Shadow of War for $35, AC:O for $40, etc. The catch is: all you get is an activation code for Steam/Uplay/Origin. Which is fine because I don't need the cases or booklets anyway.

Video game pricing discussion interests me. Although I've been disappointed in the gradual increase in new game prices over the last 15 years or so, we're also receiving a lot more content (specifically: quality content) in the games we buy. Generally, at least.

On 3/23/2018 at 1:41 PM, Dazey said:

I’m tempted if only to give my graphics card something to do. :lol:

That's part of my reasoning too. Thinking of doing a new build later this year, if the GTX 2000 series comes out.

Edited by OmarBradley

On 2018-04-02 at 5:17 PM, Dazey said:

Just picked it up on Steam today. Will report back when I've had some time to get into it but can say that it looks awesome on ultra settings at 60FPS. :thumbsup: 

I assume the idea of blowing away religious nuts played no incentive to buying this game? :P

• Like 1

This game is pretty amazing.  It has a few flaws, but is a 9/10 game for me.

It follows the Far Cry formula, so if you like past Far Cry games, the set up and style, you'll like this one.  

Some takeaways:

- The BIGGEST complaint is a slight change to the game play formula, and that is that when you make a certain amount of progress, you are forced to play a certain level.  In a non-spoiler way, it's like when you defeat say 7% of the game, you fall in a hole and have to explore your way out. Said hole cannot be avoided, even if you are in a helicopter at the time you reach 7% (I made up that example, because I personally hate spoilers, you never fall in any holes in the game, nor is there a running tally on screen of what % complete you are)  You end up wherever you were when the sequence started, with all of your stuff intact, so it's not a big deal to me, but a lot of people are saying it "ruins their immersion."

- I was disappointed on a personal level with the graphics not taking a big step forward, or any at all.  I want to be clear on this, it still looks great, but it's not improved over their 2014 and 2016 releases.  I had expected some advancement.  I play on PC, so it really doesn't matter as much on the console.  I will say I've looked at some ytube videos and there is a big difference between how it looks on the PS4 pro vs. the PS4 and XBONE and XBONE S.

- A.I. is pretty buggy at parts.

- It is NOT political.  Not sure who has been following it, but it actually got some negative reviews for NOT being more political.  When they teased the artwork, a lot of rumors that it was an anti conservative, anti-Christian game were floating around.  It isn't.  It makes fun of both sides politically, and is actually funny as hell.  Also, the cult is a cult.  There is a clear delineation between the cult and Christians in general.  In other words, if your main draw is not the gameplay, but getting to kill obnoxious "God hates fags" types, you will be disappointed, they aren't in the game.   I'm like 85% through it,  and it would really be hard to make an argument it is pro or anti conservative, or pro or anti liberal.

One of my favorite games from the last few years, it is actually like Far Cry 4 and Just Cause 3 had a baby.

PS.  There are micro transactions, but they are NOT needed to pass the game.  You can make TONS of money in game, and there are a lot of videos on ways to do it if you care.  Anyway, on a personal level, I despise micro transactions and that scared the shit out of me, but they really are not needed in any way.

Edited by DeadSlash

6 hours ago, DeadSlash said:

In other words, if your main draw is not the gameplay, but getting to kill obnoxious "God hates fags" types, you will be disappointed, they aren't in the game.   I'm like 85% through it,  and it would really be hard to make an argument it is pro or anti conservative, or pro or anti liberal.

So we know now that @Dazey will be returning the game.

On ‎4‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 5:36 PM, Dazey said:

Just to clarify, this is Far Cry and there will be blood.  There is a lot of killing for sure.

It's as violent as ever, and things like that video are possible, (even more so than in past games, because the vehicle damage is buggy, so you can go to town.)

I was referring to the plot and who you kill.    Without giving any plot away, your fighting along side Christians against the cult.  That's not really giving anything away, because liberating a preacher is one of your first missions.   The game falls over itself to make sure you know you aren't killing Christians, like the cult removing crosses crucifixes and replacing them with the cult symbols, having their own book that replaces the bible,  etc.  I think they could have come a lot closer to the line than they chose to go. 

Dazey, 

You said you have it on Steam, are you a graphics whore like I am?  I know most people on the forums have consoles, so I'm curious if you noticed what I did about the graphics.  

They are not bad, they are really good, but so was Far Cry 3, what surprises/disappoints me is that they didn't seem to make any progress from 2014 in visuals.

8 hours ago, DeadSlash said:

Dazey, 

You said you have it on Steam, are you a graphics whore like I am?  I know most people on the forums have consoles, so I'm curious if you noticed what I did about the graphics.  

They are not bad, they are really good, but so was Far Cry 3, what surprises/disappoints me is that they didn't seem to make any progress from 2014 in visuals.

I've mostly been a console gamer in the past and most of my game library is on XBox360/XBoxOne but when my laptop went tits up last year I decided to replace it with a something decent. Running a GTX1080 based rig so I guess anything right now looks amazing to me when compared to my XBox. :D Other game I bought recently was Rise of the Tomb Raider and I think that looks fucking amazing on ultra settings.

8 hours ago, Dazey said:

I've mostly been a console gamer in the past and most of my game library is on XBox360/XBoxOne but when my laptop went tits up last year I decided to replace it with a something decent. Running a GTX1080 based rig so I guess anything right now looks amazing to me when compared to my XBox. :D Other game I bought recently was Rise of the Tomb Raider and I think that looks fucking amazing on ultra settings.

Nice, the 1080 was a good purchase, I got mine about a month before the prices spiked up with the whole bit coin thing.

Tomb Raider is one of the best looking games I ever played.  When you get bored of what you are currently playing, look into the Metro 2033 and Metro Last Light "redux" editions.  It's up there with Tomb Raider as the best looking games I have ever played.  It should be going on sale soon, with a 3rd Metro game due out this year.  Make sure you get the "Redux" versions, as they have graphical enhancements.

8 hours ago, Dazey said:

Big FYI, if you use the "GeForce Experience, be careful and do not use it to pick the "optimal settings" for Far Cry 5.  If you already did, go to the last video tab in options and move "resolution scale" from 1.5 to 1.0 and you1'll get a lot more FPS.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

3rd and final DLC dropped on the 28th, it's a zombie based DLC.  Sadly, the open world Far Cry with zombies that I had wanted will never be, it is "scenarios" that director "Guy Marvel" is pitching to different Hollywood people.  It is not good.  The last 2 DLC's were a real letdown.