sidman69

Our Interview with Doug Goldstein (Former GNR Manager)

8 hours ago, Blackstar said:

No. Well, Izzy was an idea, but there’s a guitar player I worked with who was in Alice Cooper’s band. He’s really good.”

Just to point out that the mysterious guitarrist was probably Ryan Roxy, who'd latter be in Snakepit.

As far as I remember there is a interview where Slash says he wanted to work with him for quite a while at the time.

Edited by default_
  • Like 2

On 4/4/2018 at 3:22 PM, RONIN said:

Is Axl saying random things in a public forum that much of a stretch? ;) 

Doug is playing fast and loose with the facts since he alleged (and then slightly walked back) that Axl and Slash fractured their relationship in part because Slash played with an alleged child molester despite knowing Axl's past. Regardless of the dates not corroborating that theory - you also have Slash coming out and calling this theory BS along with Axl listing MJ as one of his favorite singers. Only other thing I can think of here would be that post-93 allegations, this becomes a sticking point for Axl which I suppose may be possible. But if the rumors about Axl's reaction to Kurt Cobain's death have any basis in reality, it's not a stretch to imagine he may have seen MJ as a kindred spirit. They were both high profile tortured artists who were getting hounded and torn apart by the press all throughout the early-mid 90's. Doug's theory just seems hard to believe.

If Axl had an issue with MJ, I'd guess he may have felt that associating GnR with the gloved one would have undermined their street cred. But playing with Elton John on a 10 minute ballad with background singers in the midst of grunge probably did way more damage on that front. Or it could have been that he resented Slash for giving away a riff to MJ - this seems a bit more plausible. Axl was not enthusiastic about Slash playing with artists outside of their little rock bubble - and he didn't like Slash doing solo projects since he felt that material belonged to GnR.

Good points. I also want to add the recent story about Axl not liking David Lee Roth's reaction to "tragic death".

I don't think it was what tore the band apart but I think it's plausible Axl like many Jackson fans went back and forth on rather he was innocent or not. I also think it's plausible that he was upset at Slash for playing with him at the time. 

I honestly know many people who love MJ's music but think he was guilty. 

As far as Slash saying it's not true I don't think he can say rather Axl has ever expressed displeasure to others at his playing with MJ. I doubt it's why they split up though. I think that Doug may be exaggerating it a bit much there.

Either way I stopped taking Slash completely at face value when he claimed he never went to Axl's and later said he did. 

As far as Doug goes he's no different from Alan Niven. Both of which tell some truth and much exaggeration to make them look better.

I want to add that if the whole Cobain story recently is true it goes to show. Axl once had issues with him but his death still affected him. I'm sure Axl had negative feelings towards him before much like he may have Jackson if the story is true on that end too.

Edited by BOSSY78
Added
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

I love reading the above^^^^ 

Im so hoping sidman and gambit can get sorum on their show. Sorum mightnt have been involved in the axl slash doug conversations but poor slash must have been bitching to sorum because there was no-one else in the band slash could talk to about how he was feeling.

Im sure slash would have felt so unhappy if axl couldnt articulate how the next record would sound. If axl couldnt articulate how the next record was going to be in his mind then whats the point of having a third guirar player. Slash just needed another guitar player to help with certain ideas from vibing off their playing. The only guitar player that had an izzy style of playing was gilby. I also think slash trying to get izzy back may have been a last ditch effort to bring some musical direction for the band and from one indiana friend to another help axl communicate with everyone in the band again like the early days which by 94-95 is where it all went wrong....they couldnt communicate anymore.

If slash couldnt find a player like izzy or gilby where can he go to from there?. Axl should have left the second guitar player to slash to find. Slashs found gilby and sorum a good fit and axl should have trusted slashs instincts on a second guitar player for the band.

From Slashs own comments in his book it seems Axl wanted his input on finding a second guitar player. 

I think it's just as important that Axl be in the decision as Slash.

Axl wrote music and he also sings it. While Slash needs someone who conpliments him and who he feels fits Axl also needs to be able to feed off them both and feel a fit. 

Singers generally add feeling and emotion and to get that the music is very important. I like to think of it at times as a muse.

It reminds me of how they would come up with the music and Axl would start singing. If he was writing the lyrics he would be looking for music that fits the mood and or emotion he is trying to convey. They would be like a muse.

Before amyone goes on a tangent I'm aware Axl didn't write every lyric for the band. He was however, a major contributor lyrically and even more so once Izzy left.

59 minutes ago, BOSSY78 said:

From Slashs own comments in his book it seems Axl wanted his input on finding a second guitar player. 

I think it's just as important that Axl be in the decision as Slash.

Axl wrote music and he also sings it. While Slash needs someone who conpliments him and who he feels fits Axl also needs to be able to feed off them both and feel a fit. 

Singers generally add feeling and emotion and to get that the music is very important. I like to think of it at times as a muse.

It reminds me of how they would come up with the music and Axl would start singing. If he was writing the lyrics he would be looking for music that fits the mood and or emotion he is trying to convey. They would be like a muse.

Before amyone goes on a tangent I'm aware Axl didn't write every lyric for the band. He was however, a major contributor lyrically and even more so once Izzy left.

I agree with certain parts. Axl may not have cared about gilby as he was practically a touring replacement for izzy. But axl certainly didnt care to much about having an  input into who the replacement for steven should be especially after the whole syeven court drama, again that was left on slashs shoulders and the difference is matt had to record except civil war,  the rest of the songs for the illusion albums so he had to do alot more than gilby. I wonder if the first  time axl  met matt was when they were doing band photos for the album!!. Slash dizzy matt and izzy where the only ones who recorded in the studio together at the same time for the illusion recordings. Correct me if im wrong Axl was never present until the music was recorded and then lay his vocals over.

Edited by Sydney Fan

4 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

I wonder if the first  time axl  met matt was when they were doing band photos for the album!!. Slash dizzy matt and izzy where the only ones who recorded in the studio together at the same time for the illusion recordings. Correct me if im wrong Axl was never present until the music was recorded and then lay his vocals over.

Matt has said that Axl showed him how he wanted him to play the piano epics.

There is also a story of Matt visiting Axl's house with Lars Ulrich ~1990.

7 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

I agree with certain parts. Axl may not have cared about gilby as he was practically a touring replacement for izzy. But axl certainly didnt care to much about having an  input into who the replacement for steven should be especially after the whole syeven court drama, again that was left on slashs shoulders and the difference is matt had to record except civil war,  the rest of the songs for the illusion albums so he had to do alot more than gilby. I wonder if the first  time axl  met matt was when they were doing band photos for the album!!. Slash dizzy matt and izzy where the only ones who recorded in the studio together at the same time for the illusion recordings. Correct me if im wrong Axl was never present until the music was recorded and then lay his vocals over.

I hate to say this but I don't think an artist's muse for lack of a better word is the drummer.

Izzy was much more integral to Axl. It's not to put down either drummer but in my opinion its more important the drummer can fit in with the band than the singer. 

I like to look at it sort of like the singer and guitarists feed off each other musically with the drummer matching their beat.

I can see why he'd be more inclined to want to have a choice in Izzys replacement and allowed the others to choose the drummer. Then again we weren't there and it's all speculation.

Forgive me if it doesn't make sense. I'm tired.

10 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Matt has said that Axl showed him how he wanted him to play the piano epics.

There is also a story of Matt visiting Axl's house with Lars Ulrich ~1990.

Thank you for bringing that up. I forgot about that story.

• Like 1

On 4/10/2018 at 6:54 AM, RONIN said:

This is probably bullshit imho. You know what this sounds like? Ol' Dougie may have been a tad miffed that he was cut out of the deal making process for this. He probably hoped to make a quick payday negotiating Slash's fee for guesting on Dangerous. 

Besides - why would he need to sell Axl on anything having to do with MJ in 1990-early '91 when the Dangerous sessions were going down? Makes zero sense. The band were ostensibly waiting for Axl to finish his work on Illusions around this time period - there was plenty of downtime to do other stuff in the meantime. 

On 4/10/2018 at 8:09 AM, Blackstar said:

My understanding is that Doug is talking about the Give It To Me video in '92, not the Dangerous sessions. I'll have to check it again.

I checked it. Doug says it was after Axl's 1992 interviews, so he isn't talking about the Dangerous sessions. He didn't say what it was about on the podcast, but the first time he brought the story up, on RS Brazil, he said it was about Slash playing at one of MJ's concerts. Slash guested at two shows of the Dangerous tour, one in September '92 and one in December '92.

Also - I had forgotten about that - Marc Canter mentioned the MJ story on the 2016 BBC documentary.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Guns n' Swedes said:

Great interview, thanks for this!

The more I hear of these interviews, it paints Axl as the good guy and Slash as a bit of a hypocrite

Thanks! We've got a few more coming!

On ‎4‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 5:53 PM, sidman69 said:

i don't want to shed too much light on how we get guests. We sometimes have to tread lightly. 

My $$$ on these interviews actually being sponsored in some way (or endorsed) by #TeamBrazil, in a way to shut out and by pass the conventional press and bullshitters....
Giving it to the genuine fans who won't twist it....There's gotta be a legit reason Guns N Roses Central are getting scoops, while Eddie Trunk is crying into his mic....
I love one day to log in and see 'AXL TALKS!' ;)

Edited by colonizedmind

On 4/14/2018 at 12:26 AM, colonizedmind said:

My $$$ on these interviews actually being sponsored in some way (or endorsed) by #TeamBrazil, in a way to shut out and by pass the conventional press and bullshitters....
Giving it to the genuine fans who won't twist it....There's gotta be a legit reason Guns N Roses Central are getting scoops, while Eddie Trunk is crying into his mic....
I love one day to log in and see 'AXL TALKS!' ;)

haha our interviews are in no way endorsed or coordinated with Team Brazil. I think we've accomplished a lot considering people have generally never heard of us and we don't have a radio banner to hold over our head. I am curious as to why Eddie Trunk isn't getting anything. 

12 minutes ago, sidman69 said:

haha our interviews are in no way endorsed or coordinated with Team Brazil. I think we've accomplished a lot considering people have generally never heard of us and we don't have a radio banner to hold over our head. I am curious as to why Eddie Trunk isn't getting anything. 

Spot on @Sidman89 i look this post very biased 👏

27 minutes ago, Ratam said:

Spot on @Sidman89 i look this post very biased 👏

Thanks it's also important to keep expectations realistic. While we've gotten some amazing interviews and more to come, it's funny how this whole thing works. While we can get some big names, but then people on the bottom of the totem pole (who people barely know) don't want to come on, so it's not like Axl, Slash or Izzy will just reappear on the podcast. At least i don't think that'll ever happen. There's also certain people we could interview I suppose but to be honest some people don't really interest me so we don't pursue them. 

47 minutes ago, sidman69 said:

Thanks it's also important to keep expectations realistic. While we've gotten some amazing interviews and more to come, it's funny how this whole thing works. While we can get some big names, but then people on the bottom of the totem pole (who people barely know) don't want to come on, so it's not like Axl, Slash or Izzy will just reappear on the podcast. At least i don't think that'll ever happen. There's also certain people we could interview I suppose but to be honest some people don't really interest me so we don't pursue them. 

The most the forumer's are very thankful for job you   , i imagine Don't is easy get guest's week after week , that date coincide,for this bother me people put doubt in reputation of a person when made his best to please the fans 👍

On 4/11/2018 at 7:55 PM, Blackstar said:

I checked it. Doug says it was after Axl's 1992 interviews, so he isn't talking about the Dangerous sessions. He didn't say what it was about on the podcast, but the first time he brought the story up, on RS Brazil, he said it was about Slash playing at one of MJ's concerts. Slash guested at two shows of the Dangerous tour, one in September '92 and one in December '92.

Also - I had forgotten about that - Marc Canter mentioned the MJ story on the 2016 BBC documentary.

Slash also played with MJ in 1995, after the 1993 child molestation allegations.

25 minutes ago, Fashionista said:

Slash also played with MJ in 1995, after the 1993 child molestation allegations.

Yes, I think I wrote about it in one of my previous posts.

6 hours ago, sidman69 said:

Haha, I was pretty much joking bro but it was a way to give kudos to the quality work you've been able to accomplished...
Have you guys pursued Adler?!  I'm sure he'd be down for a rant, sorry, I mean a chat ! ;)

7 hours ago, colonizedmind said:

Haha, I was pretty much joking bro but it was a way to give kudos to the quality work you've been able to accomplished...
Have you guys pursued Adler?!  I'm sure he'd be down for a rant, sorry, I mean a chat ! ;)

@colonizedmindglad me know this you said was joking, because i feel sorry for @sidman69he make great job , i be happy you clear this 👍👌

2 hours ago, Ratam said:

@colonizedmindglad me know this you said was joking, because i feel sorry for @sidman69he make great job , i be happy you clear this 👍👌

yeah we've pretty much pursued everyone and anyone you can think of in the world of GNR. There's some people who want to come on the show and would be amazing interviews, but beceause of health issues it probably won't happen. 

• Like 1