Why do GNR command such a loyal online fan presence when they're so unproductive?

MyGNR is one of the busiest fan forums I visit (I go on a few for different artists/bands). There are huge bands out there, like the RHCP for example, who regularly release new music, but there fanboards are like graveyards. And yet GNR have put out one relatively unsuccessful album in the last 25 years and this place is always busy.

Why do you think it is that GNR have such a big online fan following? Is it testament to just how great they were 1987-1992?

Edited by Towelie
  • Like 2

Just now, DieselDaisy said:

Waiting for Godot.

It is a weird thing about GNR though.

Other bands who release new music on a semi-regular basis and sell out arenas/stadiums at a similar rate to Guns don't seem to have the kind of following that GNR command having done fuck all creative for the last 25 years.

The lack of news and material, no doubt.  Other bands live in magazines and entertainment talk shows.  In video interviews, new albums, contests (of value), photo shoots.

But the quick disappearance in the mid-nineties just left a hole in the fan bases heart, likely?

GNR is really the only reason I ever started using the internet TBH.

1 minute ago, soon said:

The lack of news and material, no doubt.

But if any other band or artist disappeared up their own ass and released one record in 25 years, I don't think they'd have multiple fan forums with folks dissecting every coming and going. What is it about GNR that commands this level of interest amongst us? Other than the fact that we're all obviously glutton for punishment.

• Like 2

I am here because GNR has always gotten me through the rough patches in my life and I have been around the GNR forums for over 20 years, except for a few years when I was without computer access 😣

Now that I am starting my life over so to speak, I am back where I feel I need to be, showing my undying support for GNR. 😆

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 2

for me personally it's the story of the band and the personalities of axl and the rest of the classic line up. the music is at it's core but it's been a wild ride following their story. even lately it can still be surprising like the ac/dc thing for example. it seems there's always a curve ball you never know what might happen

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Towelie said:

MyGNR is one of the busiest fan forums I visit (I go on a few for different artists/bands). There are huge bands out there, like the RHCP for example, who regularly release new music, but there fanboards are like graveyards. And yet GNR have put out one relatively unsuccessful album in the last 25 years and this place is always busy.

Why do you think it is that GNR have such a big online fan following? Is it testament to just how great they were 1987-1992?

RHCP fans are on facebook, there're soooo many groups with 10k+ memebers that (shit)post all day long. Had to unfollow pretty much all of them

There isn’t any band with such a mystique as Guns. They made it big, were active for about 6 years, and practically vanished. Yet we still know virtually none of the details and still argue about things that broke up the band to this day.

But during the wilderness years, Axl and the other band members promised new music. Alleged stories of 13 million dollar budgets for CD, band members constantly going in and out, Axl being a complete shut in during the late 90’s, and countless rumors about the CD era we still don’t know. Then the 2002 tour happened and people lost their damn minds, and more questions arose, etc.

No other notable band has such a weird history, and thus the people who stuck with the band during these weird years form both bonds with other members and also constantly need forums such as this to discuss any rumors or scraps of new music, since the actual band offers nothing.

A band like RCHP releases new music, tours all the time, has a pretty simple history, therefore the fans don’t really need to communicate since the band actually gives them the information.

• Like 1