Why do GNR command such a loyal online fan presence when they're so unproductive?

I visit this board and the HTGTH board because I am a HUGE GNR fan! My family, friends, co-workers/bosses, former college  and high school acquaintances think that I'm nuts for being such a big fan. I kinda made being a GNR fan into my personality/brand. With that being said, I really don't have anyone to talk about the details of the band or debate about the band.  

The moment that I saw the video montage of George Michael, Bon Jovi, Def Lepard and GNR on MTV in October 1987 was when I became an instant fan of GNR. 

Because Rock mystique, while definitely on the endangered list, still fascinates people and draws them like a moth to a flame. 

Keeping your private life private, not vomiting up every miniscule detail regarding your life to splash on social media, and keeping your cards close has it's advantages. :shrugs:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, soon said:

The lack of news and material, no doubt.  Other bands live in magazines and entertainment talk shows.  In video interviews, new albums, contests (of value), photo shoots.

But the quick disappearance in the mid-nineties just left a hole in the fan bases heart, likely?

GNR is really the only reason I ever started using the internet TBH.

I only started using the Internet for GNR too.  Years ago, before I had Internet, I would go to the local library every so often just to tune in to the latest news. 

• GNFNR 1

to answer the original poster..

Because they are the last of a long gone breed of fire in the belly rebellion. No one is the winner anymore within the internal/passion/love of war in GNR. The reunion tour has been absolutely magnificent. Vices more empowered/dismembered/crazed. IMO no new album, retirement, half assed albums from the alumni and really not a lot else. Forever (not bad thing in my eyes). GNR is a legend that should never be tarnished any more. I for one can't blame any of the current band/management. After all the shit for a LONG fucking time.. i don't think any of us would or could do anything different in their cowboy boots.

Be grateful for what we all have. The GNR legacy is intact and it's one hell of a fucking legacy!!

• Like 2

For the same reason people still obsess over the Beatles. Guns N Roses were, at their peak of popularity, almost Beatle-like world wide. They left such a massive foot print on rock at the time that it's impossible for them to be forgotten. Whether they release another album or not, it'll be that way long after we're gone.

Nostalgia to a point, people with this memory in their head of a band that was once this thing, its no different from supporting a lot of on-going bands, even though they put out new stuff, the focus is always on the stuff that kinda made them, whatever their peak was.  Also, in a culture where not a lot of new good big shit is out there people just revert to the past.  Also the audience kinda grows old with the music so like, yeah, its mostly old or getting old fuckers around here, whats the ratio of teenagers etc in here, not that many.  Also certain bands maintain a stronger presence in certain parts of the world cuz they identify more with that kinda music, like South America or whatever, for some reason people over there love hard rock.

people love drama.

between Slash appearing drunk at Axl's house, a drunk appearing at Slash's house, Steven appearing on stage, Axl appearing a little overweight, Izzy appearing nowhere at all, GNR provides drama for every taste, every day.

Edited by action
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

I couldn't care any less what people think when I tell them Guns is my favorite band (even before the reunion).

I'm loyal because of the music. Axl as a singer/song writer/performer trumps everyone else for me, and it's been that way for better than half of my life.

Even though I found 2017 to be a real kick to the balls with extremely high ticket prices, and Axl's ability to sound amazing with a band that is not his own, I'm still a loyal fan because of what we do have. Classic fucking songs!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Fitha_whiskey said:

I think the forum is so active because the crazy insane history of the band has left such an interesting fan base with so many factions. You’ve got the Axelites, the Izzbians, the die hard Slash tribe, Frank sucks, Adler is a waste case, the everything sucked after AFD, the CD was the best thing Axl did, the Bucket lovers, the Fortus haters... I mean fuck, it goes on and on. That’s what keeps it interesting for me. Thinking about the different opinions of the different factions. Because everyone is super passionate about whatever it is they believe. 

And the mystery behind everything the band does. Even when it’s usually nothing. 

And of course the wild and extreme online personalities of the posters on here. :lol: And also everyone I’ve met from here (several) has been really cool in real life...

I agree with you relative of posters the Forum, this too show that Guns not just have loyal fanbase, tGuns too have most  smart fanbase, i love read the posts.😆

• Like 1

I reckon it's the insane amount of heart they all put in from 85-93, primarily Axl. High risk, high reward and all that. They all seem like they are people that wear their heart on their sleeve just as in the day-to-day, give people like that a shit load of money, fans, pressure and talent and you get the amazing one in a million thing called Guns N Roses.

Because after GNR there weren't really great bands coming out, that you could compare to GNR. GNR got immortalized as being the last great Rock N'Roll band, and Axl the last great frontman.

If this were the 80's, and they were this unproductive, they would have never pulled it off, they would have been eaten alive! They would have been another Skid Row or Ugly Kid Joe and would have been forgotten or be known as a one hit wonder (AFD).

• Like 1