Why do GNR command such a loyal online fan presence when they're so unproductive?

I wouldn't say it's loyalty for me. It's more like pure 100% jaw-dropping admiration for their music and imagery back when the magic was happening. 1985-1991. It was irresistible, unstoppable.

In just a couple of years this band was able to capture the hearts and minds of so many people that it spawned books, comic books, all sorts of gadgets and even school equipment (diaries/backpacks/sketchbooks etc). GNR was EVERYWHERE. Not bad for a bunch of junkies and boozers.. LOL

Such cultural penetration is hard to dismiss from people who lived it first hand. Call it nostalgia, whatever, but back then it was fucking awesome. It wasn't just a musical statement, but also cultural. 

I still believe in those 5 guys, that they can get together and get something decent out of themselves, artistically speaking. But they gotta do it right, just like it was back then. Here's to perennial HOPE: :headbang:

• Like 1

It's not that strange in my opinion. With bands like RHCP, you know that they're releasing new music on a pretty steady basis. But with GNR you don't know what's gonna happen, so that's why for example I come to this forum, cause I want to know if there's some news. I don't need to check out what's going on with RHCP, because I know that they're gonna release a new album and tour and all the usual stuff. With GNR we don't know anything. 

Of course if GNR was a band that never does anything interesting, none of us would be here. But we just got a reunion. Something that nobody thought would ever happen. So it's not like nothing would ever happen in GNR circles. It's just that everything happens in slow motion.

But at least from my point of view the wait is usually worth it. I loved Chinese Democracy and I loved the reunion. So I'm most likely gonna love the new album too, whenever it comes out.

I love the band because of the music, of course, but also the unique personalities and chemistry of the Appetite 5 plus their connection with the 1980's and Los Angeles. Although they made pretty classic rock n' roll, I feel like they couldn't have come out of any other time and place and i love that. I'm still interested in the stories of people who were around during that time period, in that place, whether they are band members or fans, or management or whoever. You still hear juicy tidbits ever so often and that keeps me coming around. 

I separate the current band from that band almost completely, I don't find this version to be very interesting, but I still like to hear the gossip and what they are up to.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AncientEvil80 said:

I wouldn't say it's loyalty for me. It's more like pure 100% jaw-dropping admiration for their music and imagery back when the magic was happening. 1985-1991. It was irresistible, unstoppable.

In just a couple of years this band was able to capture the hearts and minds of so many people that it spawned books, comic books, all sorts of gadgets and even school equipment (diaries/backpacks/sketchbooks etc). GNR was EVERYWHERE. Not bad for a bunch of junkies and boozers.. LOL

Such cultural penetration is hard to dismiss from people who lived it first hand. Call it nostalgia, whatever, but back then it was fucking awesome. It wasn't just a musical statement, but also cultural. 

I still believe in those 5 guys, that they can get together and get something decent out of themselves, artistically speaking. But they gotta do it right, just like it was back then. Here's to perennial HOPE: :headbang:

Great post, sorry out of likes👍

There're several reasons. 

First one, they were fucking huge.

Second one, they have a lot of drama going on.

Third one, it's mainly older people who still use forums. Younger people use reddit/facebook/twitter more to interact with other fans of their favorite bands. And GnR fans are usually older people :D (not old but like 28+)

They packed in more drama, excitement and of course great music in 6 years than most bands could dream of doing in a career 5 times as long so there's always something to talk about. There's still that slight glimmer of hope that they could record material again, even the people on here who claim they don't care for the band would be all over that. Apart the band itself there's alot of good people on here, alot of different tastes in music,views on politics and religion and all that shit but one common factor that GNR touched them deeply at some point in their lives.

• Like 3
  • GNFNR 1

When bands plop out an album like clockwork, good bad or ugly, there isn't much to talk about.

The only reason I found this forum was because I was starved for news and new music from the band.  If they had been putting out albums every 3 years or so I never would have been looking for this place.

The uncertainty also has a lot to do with it, there is that potential that anything could happen at any moment.  In contrast, I am a really big fan of Anthrax with John Bush doing lead vocals.  When he left the band, I was curious until it was made ultra clear that he was 100% out and then it was settled and I didn't have to lurk forums.  There is no 100% ANYTHING for GnR. 

When you think of a band you like that is due for a new album, you look them up it, find articles that say "New Avenged Sevenfold album due in early 2019" and you say "oh cool." Or it says "On tour for their 2016 album, The Stage." and you say "Bummer, no new album, I wonder when they are in my area? Maybe I'll go see them."

You google "New GnR" you get "GnR album in the works? Maybe!"  "GnR Reunion in the works? Maybe!"  "Are their 40 unheard songs in the vault? Maybe!"  oh and links to 30 leaks, 28 of them fake.  

We bitch about how reclusive Axl is, yet that is exactly what drives up the demand for more information.

• GNFNR 1

I think a large part is just that the albums are as good today as they were years ago. You still hear the venom in that opening to Welcome to the Jungle, and I imagine plenty of younger fans to this day can still really connect with it - which leads them to looking online for more information about the band, and then they become one of us :D

On 28/03/2018 at 4:11 PM, Towelie said:

MyGNR is one of the busiest fan forums I visit (I go on a few for different artists/bands). There are huge bands out there, like the RHCP for example, who regularly release new music, but there fanboards are like graveyards. And yet GNR have put out one relatively unsuccessful album in the last 25 years and this place is always busy.

Why do you think it is that GNR have such a big online fan following? Is it testament to just how great they were 1987-1992?

they wrote, recorded and performed some of the best songs i have ever heard

since i knew GNR i have been actively looking for "new music" from them -- i.e. always waiting for the next release or for the next unsurfaced recording to come to surface

(a lot of cool things have come to the surface or have been released on the last 27 years, highlights to me are aint going down, the Hollywood Rose tapes, Ritz 1987, all the Izzy solo albums, the new 2018 high quality version of the demo tape, alan niven CDs etc)

i believe there is much more to come

i also been waiting for the reunion

will it ever happen?

I think a lot of ''fans'' are lapsed fans, who jumped ship at a certain point, and now just come here because of the non-gnr sections. There are fairly big divisions of where everyone posts, whereby the people who post in so and so never post on the Guns N' Roses board.

1 hour ago, ludurigan said:

i believe there is much more to come

i also been waiting for the reunion

will it ever happen?

Like you, I never give up hope. I also hope for something new and many more years with Guns n Roses, but at the moment I can not see it. I'm very sad about that and always hope for news.

17 hours ago, Propaganda said:

Because after GNR there weren't really great bands coming out, that you could compare to GNR. GNR got immortalized as being the last great Rock N'Roll band, and Axl the last great frontman.

If this were the 80's, and they were this unproductive, they would have never pulled it off, they would have been eaten alive! They would have been another Skid Row or Ugly Kid Joe and would have been forgotten or be known as a one hit wonder (AFD).

I still love Skid Row. the venues are much much smaller but this band is so great. superb chemistry and live gigs - also without Baz they rock the house! 

On ‎3‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 3:39 PM, Towelie said:

But if any other band or artist disappeared up their own ass and released one record in 25 years, I don't think they'd have multiple fan forums with folks dissecting every coming and going. What is it about GNR that commands this level of interest amongst us? Other than the fact that we're all obviously glutton for punishment.

I think you are forgetting that people visited the boards through the years to keep up on what was going on with Chinese Democracy, the various side projects, Velvet Revolver, ect....

The band too just also has a fascinating story

Living on the streets of Hollywood broke and gritty in a day and age where you do not hear about that kind of lifestyle anymore in a music scene, with an amazing debut album followed by a few years of egos, contracts, drugs, riots, controversial band alterations and huge mainstream attention, followed by Axl doing some werid ass shit that we still don't know 100 percent of the full story behind these past 20 years

That just by itself gives us a ton to discuss, let alone discussing how amazing the music is.

It's been a combination of things IMO:

The desolate wait for Chinese Democracy. During that time, the internet was less of an immediate gratifi thing. You couldn't find setlist and YouTube videos online as fast during that time. The entertainment news industry certainly wasn't reporting on GN'R, so you pretty much had to go to these sites to see what was going on. 

Ever since the album was finally released, there's always been this odd sense that something great is just around the corner. Again, the entertainment news doesn't really report on GN'R, so it keeps these sites going. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Hellgirl said:

Like you, I never give up hope. I also hope for something new and many more years with Guns n Roses, but at the moment I can not see it. I'm very sad about that and always hope for news.

Yeah!

I also can not see it and I am afraid this horrendous GNA tour killed all the chances of a reunion

i truly hope that more and more GNR-era material surfaces cause i dont see GNR reuniting ever again after they made zillions of dollars on this nonsense tour

• Like 1

Personally I come here because there is a lot of very knowledgable people here who I know can learn from. 

Where else does a gnr junkie go! 😜

Its a great place to learn more about the bands history and get small piece of very interesting information that is current which wouldn't be reported in the media. 

Also, the rest of the posters have already added that this bands history and the bands members have not exactly been boring so when you throw so many stories into one band it's so unique and captivating. This forum just works for some reason. 

Unlike other forums that try and control the narrative this one allows people to express their opinion without brain washing people. I think that's a positive thing 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

They're one of the most popular rock bands ever and they chose to disappear in their prime. That makes them unique. It's frustrating as hell for the fans, but you can't help but wonder what's going on behind the scenes and if there might ever be new music. We're getting to a point now where it won't matter though. Axl's voice is almost gone. 

10 hours ago, GNRfan2008 said:

They're one of the most popular rock bands ever and they chose to disappear in their prime. That makes them unique. It's frustrating as hell for the fans, but you can't help but wonder what's going on behind the scenes and if there might ever be new music. We're getting to a point now where it won't matter though. Axl's voice is almost gone. 

If it was he wouldn't have been able to pull off what he did with ACDC. They even tune up compared to GNR. Look no further than Jon Bon Jovi to hear what it would sound like if ones voice truly is almost gone.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown