Axl Rose KROQ 2006 Interviews (Request)

13 minutes ago, IrishgunnerII said:

The ones with Eddie trunk ? Those ones  ?yes I have them saved somewhere safe. 

The KROQ interviews happened the day after the last Hammerstein (?) gig, after the Tommy Hillfiger fight (5/19 was the date of the interview?), while the other one happened around the time they played the KROQ show in September of that year. Not the Eddie Trunk interview.

Also, unfortunately, I don't have this anymore, but I remember in the first one he talks about the fight and it's pretty hilarious.

15 minutes ago, Crazyman said:

The KROQ interviews happened the day after the last Hammerstein (?) gig, after the Tommy Hillfiger fight (5/19 was the date of the interview?), while the other one happened around the time they played the KROQ show in September of that year. Not the Eddie Trunk interview.

Also, unfortunately, I don't have this anymore, but I remember in the first one he talks about the fight and it's pretty hilarious.

Please someone come up with this.

All nailed it, people are still holding on Bc we think there’s so much more he’s going to do and achieve and he always seems short of that so it’s just waiting for the day that he achieves whatever it is we feel we need him to achieve. 

I think with Axl many felt he could be the greatest singer songwriter ever, so for him to ever achieve that would have been impossible. 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

All nailed it, people are still holding on Bc we think there’s so much more he’s going to do and achieve and he always seems short of that so it’s just waiting for the day that he achieves whatever it is we feel we need him to achieve. 

I loved the way he answered that question and got it spot on. I was expecting him to just shrug it off with a joke or something. 

• GNFNR 1

39 minutes ago, tremolo said:

I don’t see it so much as being the greatest, but as just putting his talent to good use.

I don’t take offense on how long it took CD to be released, because despite everything, Axl had a vision and kept going towards it, plowing through all kinds of adversity. What I do find a bit painful is the deafening silence after CD.

I guess I thought that the release of CD would be a new beginning for Axl, but it’s clearly not the case.

I’d say I feel fans made Axl out to have potential to be the best performer/singer ever. He showed he could be so often so when he disappeared it felt like so much wasted time and so Axl basically doing CD on his own gave him the opportunity to achieve more of what his fans already felt he could.

the silence after CD hurt really bad. And the way Axl spoke of it was like it was a half assed version of his vision

On 03/04/2018 at 2:29 PM, tremolo said:

He fucked around with it for too long. My guess is that it’s all rooted in his own insecurities and the feel that he needed the prove himself to the world.

Personally, I love CD and how refreshing it sounds. I think that production-wise it will stand the test of time and will not sound dated in 30 years the way some of UYI and most of AFD do today.

I wonder if Axl’s opinion on CD would be the same if the album had had a better reception in the public and critics.

Really? It sounded dated in 2008 - all the trip-hop beats and electronica.

Strangely it sounded very routed in the late 90s/early00s. You know when it was mostly written and recorded.

52 minutes ago, tremolo said:

It clearly has its influences from those times, and even earlier (I’d say 1993-2000), but the cool thing about it is that at the same time it doesn’t sound like it. You can hear elements of different genres, but you can’t hear those styles if that makes any sense.

Trip hop? Beats? Electronica? I don’t know. I can certainly hear elements all over the album (programmed beats, synths, sound design, samples, etc). Songs like If the World have some (a lot!) of those elements, but if you ask me, I wouldn’t fit the song (or any CD song) in any of those specific categories. And that to me is one of the beauties of CD: it’s not this or that, it’s his own thing.

If you listen to AFD, it sounds dated, the lyrics, the style and production... they couldn’t be from any other time than the 2nd half of the 80s. UYI is an inprovement in the sense that it doesn’t sound rooted in a specific time, but the production does sound dated, but it’s mostly the drums with that stupid reverb that “the thing” back then and was never usef again by anyone, ever.

I do not believe that’s how it was planned. I believe the conception and development of CD was so long anc chaotic, it didn’t have the chance to be rooted in any specific cliches of a certain time. The number (and level) of musicians and producers involved in the project prevented that. CD is a beautiful mess of layers with so many influences that it’s impossible to say where it belongs in terms of style. We can have a long list of genres or styles that influenced each song, but at the same time, none of the songs belong to one of those genres in particular. What probably comes into play is that Axl was more a fan of certain bands instead of a fan of styles, and that’s where he got his influences from He was (is?) a fan of NIN and he was clearly influenced by TR in terms of arrangement/production, but I wouldn’t say he was into industrial music as a whole... (I can’t hear one bit of Skinny Puppy or Coil in CD). Same for Nirvana/grunge, or Jane’s addiction/alt rock.

I think that the fact he was influenced by specific bands/artists instead of whole genres kept Axl from falling into the cliches of those genres that would make any of the songs on CD sound dated.

Art is about capturing a moment in time, people’s opinions are secondary. What matters is that it makes you feel something, then if it’s good or bad doesn’t really matter because that’s what we do at places like this. We discuss our opinions.

I think the beauty of many classic albums is that you can really feel the time when they were made.