Did Slash try to suggest songs during the UYI tour?

It's something curious, but it's like if during the Use Your Illusion tour when they played without a setlist sometimes Slash tried to suggest Axl songs by playing the first notes of it, for example, just before Perfect Crime on Indiana 91 he plays what sounds like Nightrain

I think I've seen him do it in other shows, for Chicago 92, right after Don't cry he plays something similar to Yesterdays and then Axl tells him that he's going to have to switch guitars for the next song (wich was Bad Obsession)

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, fanfzero said:

It's something curious, but it's like if during the Use Your Illusion tour when they played without a setlist sometimes Slash tried to suggest Axl songs by playing the first notes of it, for example, just before Perfect Crime on Indiana 91 he plays what sounds like Nightrain

I think I've seen him do it in other shows, for Chicago 92, right after Don't cry he plays something similar to Yesterdays and then Axl tells him that he's going to have to switch guitars for the next song (wich was Bad Obsession)

in Rio 1991 2nd night somebody (can't tell you who but very likely Slash) seems to suggest to play Bad Apples and Axl apparently doesn't show that much enthusiasm and makes sure to let everyone know that he doesnt know/remember the lyrics too well. They play the song anyway and Izzy does a fantastic job singing alongside Axl. The song sounds brilliant live -- the very opposite of the boring studio version. The short dialogue netween Axl and Slash before the song seems to be a clear indication that Axl doesn't like the song and likely explains why the song was basically ignored for the entire tour with the exception of one or two other dates in the US.

very similar scene in Toronto 1991 (if i am not mistaken). Slash suggests to play Back off Bitch and Axl doesn't show that much enthusiasm and makes sure to let everyone know that he doesn't really wanna play the song. They play the song anyway. That short Axl-Slash dialogue before the song seems to be a clear indication that Axl doesn't feel like playing the song and likely explains why the song was basically never played again. Ever.

Thanks Axl!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

The song sounds brilliant live -- the very opposite of the boring studio version.

Bad Apples is one of the best on UYI I, though I didn't like it much at first. Now it's one of the only ones I play somewhat regularly. Wish they'd played it more before Izzy left.

To be fair tho, the singer dictates the setlist in most bands, and especially with the way Axl sang on the UYI tour it's fair for him to deny a song IMO.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fanfzero said:

Considering that Slash played an A chord, which is in thousands and thousands of songs across time, I would say no

1 hour ago, Jadeder said:

Considering that Slash played an A chord, which is in thousands and thousands of songs across time, I would say no

He played it with the same duration as the Nightrain opening chord and the next note was also similar to the next note of the song

2 hours ago, Nosaj Thing said:

Yeah, Duff too.  I'm not sure if it was in Hartford, 93 or New Haven, 93 where Duff played the first notes to Coma and Axl said "Don't even think about it!  I can't sing it."

A far cry from today, where he sings it at almost every show. That was one of my favorite parts of the 2016 show I went to.

It makes sense that'd they'd structure the set around what he could and couldn't sing on a given night. Axl's style is ridiculously hard to sing in. If I were him and my throat was feeling like shit, I wouldn't want to sing a 10 minute song either 

Axl was pissed off most of UYI tour. He didn’t want to tour, sound systems couldn’t mix the amount of instruments properly so Axl couldn’t hear himself, he was having women issues, psychological problems. He wouldn’t have been fun to deal with. 

I think the skin and bones tour was better for him. Less instruments equaled better sound, which meant less strain on his voice, the Stephanie stuff was over, he was through most of his mental issues. So I think that tour was better all around than the chaos of the 91-92 UYI tour

2 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

How can you not know this? They had no setlist and everybody always suggested songs every time after every song because of that.

That was only in 1991. In 1992-93 they had setlists and there was just a variation of alternates; in rare occasions they would play an "odd song".

18 hours ago, ludurigan said:

very similar scene in Toronto 1991 (if i am not mistaken). Slash suggests to play Back off Bitch and Axl doesn't show that much enthusiasm and makes sure to let everyone know that he doesn't really wanna play the song. They play the song anyway. That short Axl-Slash dialogue before the song seems to be a clear indication that Axl doesn't feel like playing the song and likely explains why the song was basically never played again. Ever.

I think the crowd was asking for Back Off Bitch and that's why Slash thought they should play it; because when he had been asked about it in an interview he didn't seem very fond of it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

How can you not know this? They had no setlist and everybody always suggested songs every time after every song because of that.

Exactly. DUFF and others went on record saying that other than Brownstone always being the 2nd song, they could play any song in any order on any given night. They felt that playing the same setlist and saying the same things between songs was far too much like a 9-5 job and none of them wanted to do that. Of course the same setlist comment seems ironic now, but that was their POV 27 years ago.

Much of what they said was true. They often switched up the show openers and there was lots of dead time between songs as they figured it out on the fly from song to song. While the setlist order did have some patterns from show to show, the patterns were often at different points in the show and they often played tunes they hadn't played at other shows.

The only 2 constants were Brownstone #2 and Paradise City as the closer (with very,very few exceptions).

I've always been bummed that they played Locomotive the night before I saw them at Shoreline in 1991. It would have been amazing to see it, especially since they only played it a handful of times ever.

Edited by thunderram
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

That was only in 1991. In 1992-93 they had setlists and there was just a variation of alternates; in rare occasions they would play an "odd song".

I think the crowd was asking for Back Off Bitch and that's why Slash thought they should play it; because when he had been asked about it in an interview he didn't seem very fond of it.

yeah, it was written before he joined axl and izzy so he probably doesnt like it too much

but i also remembering an interview where he mentions that after he joined them they did some "chord changes" on the song and Slash seemed a bit "proud" of how the song "improved" with his chord changes so not sure about that

2 minutes ago, thunderram said:

Exactly. DUFF and others went on record saying that other than Brownstone always being the 2nd song, they could play any song in any order on any given night. They felt that playing the same setlist and saying the same things between songs was far too much like a 9-5 job and none of them wanted to do that. Of course the same setlist comment seems ironic now, but that was their POV 27 years ago.

it sounded ironic in 1992 when they stopped doing that

18 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Bad Apples is one of the best on UYI I, though I didn't like it much at first. Now it's one of the only ones I play somewhat regularly. Wish they'd played it more before Izzy left.

To be fair tho, the singer dictates the setlist in most bands, and especially with the way Axl sang on the UYI tour it's fair for him to deny a song IMO.

i also never liked it at first but after listening to the rio live version it became one of my favorites

yeah its sure fair for the singer to deny any song on any given night but it becomes nonsensical when you play the same fifteen-twenty songs every night

and thus deny 30 or 40 other songs every night

7 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

it sounded ironic in 1992 when they stopped doing that

I dunno, I saw them w/ Metallica in Oakland late '92 and they were still taking lots of time between songs because they didn't always have the right instruments for what they were gonna play next. I'm not saying they didn't have a setlist, but I still believe they were switching things up when they felt like it.

While we'd all like heavy variety in the setlists, I think a huge reason they don't do it much anymore and conformed to what most bands do is because it's quite hard on the road crew and the downtime between songs is a negative for fans. Also, for a band trying hard not to go past curfew these days (they didn't care back then) and get as many songs packed in the set as possible --- they can't afford any wasted time on stage. Hence a consistent and strict setlist.

Edited by thunderram
  • Like 1

Were there any other bands say between 90-93 that were not playing with a setlist or was guns the last band to ever do this?. You do see the teleprompter in the Tokyo 92 video so they must haved started to structure a setlist by or before this time.

1 hour ago, ludurigan said:

i also never liked it at first but after listening to the rio live version it became one of my favorites

yeah its sure fair for the singer to deny any song on any given night but it becomes nonsensical when you play the same fifteen-twenty songs every night

and thus deny 30 or 40 other songs every night

It's not nonsensical at all :lol: He had notorious throat problems in '92 (when the setlists had the least variation), which isn't surprising given how he sang in '91. It's fair to have a specific list of songs to play if you're at risk of fucking up your voice.

I think the biggest flaw was that he didn't go the Skin N Bones route in '92, but went the 'big band' route. Like @IncitingChaos said the big band likely made it harder for Axl to hear himself. So he strained his voice, resulting in longer 'band jams' and a more predictable setlist.

1 minute ago, Gordon Comstock said:

It's not nonsensical at all :lol: He had notorious throat problems in '92 (when the setlists had the least variation), which isn't surprising given how he sang in '91. It's fair to have a specific list of songs to play if you're at risk of fucking up your voice.

I think the biggest flaw was that he didn't go the Skin N Bones route in '92, but went the 'big band' route. Like @IncitingChaos said the big band likely made it harder for Axl to hear himself. So he strained his voice, resulting in longer 'band jams' and a more predictable setlist.

i am pretty sure there were at least a dozen songs axl could have included on the 1992 setlist that would cause less damage or the same damage (if any at all) than the ones he sang on the 1992 setlist

but he chose to sing the same songs in the same order night after night with very little variation and thats nonsensical to me!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thunderram said:

I dunno, I saw them w/ Metallica in Oakland late '92 and they were still taking lots of time between songs because they didn't always have the right instruments for what they were gonna play next. I'm not saying they didn't have a setlist, but I still believe they were switching things up when they felt like it.

While we'd all like heavy variety in the setlists, I think a huge reason they don't do it much anymore and conformed to what most bands do is because it's quite hard on the road crew and the downtime between songs is a negative for fans. Also, for a band trying hard not to go past curfew these days (they didn't care back then) and get as many songs packed in the set as possible --- they can't afford any wasted time on stage. Hence a consistent and strict setlist.

setlists in 1992 were very predictable!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ludurigan said:

i am pretty sure there were at least a dozen songs axl could have included on the 1992 setlist that would cause less damage or the same damage (if any at all) than the ones he sang on the 1992 setlist

but he chose to sing the same songs in the same order night after night with very little variation and thats nonsensical to me!

If you think it's nonsense not to vary from a list of songs you know you can sing properly, I don't know what to tell you.

And they did throw in the odd song sometimes; Coma, My Michelle, Locomotive, and Yesterdays to name a few. But it's understandable why those weren't staples.

12 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

Were there any other bands say between 90-93 that were not playing with a setlist or was guns the last band to ever do this?. You do see the teleprompter in the Tokyo 92 video so they must haved started to structure a setlist by or before this time.

I believe there was an interview with the guy that ran the teleprompter back then where he said something about Axl telling him through a hole what song to bring up.  Since it was the early 90's, he had to put in a different floppy disk for each song.