How thick is your skin?

lame ass security

I was just reading posts on the 2 year anniversary of the Troubador show and someone said they were disappointed because Axl was fat and sounded bad.  I'm not bashing this person for expressing their opinion, I appreciate their right to do so. And I also realize that being in the public eye lends itself to both praise and criticism, it goes with the proverbial territory. But speaking from a pure human prospective, you can't tell me that it doesn't hurt a bit when Axl, or anyone for that matter, reads something like that about themselves. Listen, I realize Axl is a big boy, a badass, and all that stuff. But I would also suspect he's pretty sensitive. I'm a singer so I might be projecting a bit here, I admit to that. A thousand people can tell you that you're good but you always remember the negative comments. And you can use that for motivation, as I'm sure Axl has done many times. Quite honestly if I was Axl I would avoid websites like this. I also wouldn't read reviews(Good or bad). I know that with the permeation of the internet, this is almost impossible.  Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that you have to have really thick skin these days.

Just now, lame ass security said:

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that you have to have really thick skin these days.

Why would you say that!? Do you realize how hurtful you are being to those with thin skin like me?  

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, lame ass security said:

I was just reading posts on the 2 year anniversary of the Troubador show and someone said they were disappointed because Axl was fat and sounded bad.  I'm not bashing this person for expressing their opinion, I appreciate their right to do so. And I also realize that being in the public eye lends itself to both praise and criticism, it goes with the proverbial territory. But speaking from a pure human prospective, you can't tell me that it doesn't hurt a bit when Axl, or anyone for that matter, reads something like that about themselves. Listen, I realize Axl is a big boy, a badass, and all that stuff. But I would also suspect he's pretty sensitive. I'm a singer so I might be projecting a bit here, I admit to that. A thousand people can tell you that you're good but you always remember the negative comments. And you can use that for motivation, as I'm sure Axl has done many times. Quite honestly if I was Axl I would avoid websites like this. I also wouldn't read reviews(Good or bad). I know that with the permeation of the internet, this is almost impossible.  Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that you have to have really thick skin these days.

you are a singer so let me tell you that: most of your friends will always tell you that "you are good", "that's was great" etc

you can only believe this sorta compliment when it comes from a complete stranger

===

thick skin to take criticism?

gimme a break

cut the sensitive crap

we live in a very easy world

think about the young men who lived in the last century (and the centuries before) who basically had to go to WAR even if they didn't wanna have nothing to do with it

THAT was rough

world is pretty easy these days in comparison

• GNFNR 1

26 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

you are a singer so let me tell you that: most of your friends will always tell you that "you are good", "that's was great" etc

you can only believe this sorta compliment when it comes from a complete stranger

===

gimme a break

cut the sensitive crap

think about the young men who lived in the last century (and the centuries before) who basically had to go to WAR even if they didn't wanna have nothing to do with it

THAT was rough

world is pretty easy these days in 

28 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

===

gimme a break

cut the sensitive crap

THAT was rough

world is pretty easy these days in 

Contextually speaking those things are on different planets for sure.  I wasn't referring to the atrocities of the world.  I have nothing at all against constructive criticism. But it seems a large portion of it is somewhat mean spirited. 

People will always talk about you and they always have, it's not an Internet thing. Before social media there were forums, telephones, tv, radio, magazines and your neighbor next door :lol:

Any person who goes public with their activities or jobs are subject to criticism and discussion in general, hence they are a "public figure". They should know it before entering that world and if they don't, someone in the industry will soon give them advice.

I wouldn't be so worried about Axl, who will be hitting 60 years old in a few years :facepalm:. He's had enough time to grow the thick skin and be strong.

This kind of concern should be about the kids and helping them how to develop strong personalities and become healthy adults.

Edited by killuridols

6 minutes ago, killuridols said:

People will always talk about you and they always have, it's not an Internet thing. Before social media there were forums, telephones, tv, radio, magazines and your neighbor next door :lol:

Any person who goes public with their activities or jobs are subject to criticism and discussion in general, hence they are a "public figure". They should know it before entering that world and if they don't, someone in the industry will soon give them advice.

I wouldn't be so worried about Axl, who will be hitting 60 years old in a few years :facepalm:. He's had enough time to grow the thick skin and be strong.

This kind of concern should be about the kids and helping them how to develop strong personalities and become healthy 

8 minutes ago, killuridols said:

This kind of concern should be about the kids and helping them how to develop strong personalities and become healthy 

I should've made my post less "Axl specific". I'm just saying that the internet gives everyone a forum to voice their opinions, which is fine.  But I would just choose to ignore most of it, if possible. And you're certainly right about the kids and instilling confidence in them.

2 minutes ago, lame ass security said:

I should've made my post less "Axl specific". I'm just saying that the internet gives everyone a forum to voice their opinions, which is fine.  But I would just choose to ignore most of it, if possible. And you're certainly right about the kids and instilling confidence in them.

What makes you think Axl spends his days reading this forum?

He doesn't.

If he did, we would have heard of him already :lol:

6 minutes ago, killuridols said:

What makes you think Axl spends his days reading this forum?

He doesn't.

If he did, we would have heard of him already :lol:

I'm not saying that at Axl spends his days poring over this site.  Besides, we all know that Axl devotes all of his free time to vocal exercises and working out, lol.  But seriously, he has been on this site in the past.

2 hours ago, ludurigan said:

Holy shit, this is the gods truth. I fancy myself an ok singer and I've learned the VERY hard way that the only compliments to believe are from complete strangers.

No one gives a fuck, least of people like Axl Rose.  People that give that much of a shit about that kinda thing would never make it to a life on the stage, you think a bloke who wore make up and arseless leather chaps gives a flying fuck what you think about him?  This bloke used to walk the streets dressed up all glam and get rousted by coppers over it, I don't think peoples opinions bother him about his appearance, least of all now when he's living in his fuckin' mansion raking in millions of fuckin' pounds and the bloke criticising is doing it from a two bed flat after a shift at the Carphone Warehouse.

If you wanna do it then do it, if you give a fuck what people think then you're lacking one of the basic qualifications to begin with.

Edited by Len Cnut

Axl cares a lot.  He controlled press access and photographers had a nightmare trying to get shots taken and then cleared during UYI.  He even cared enough about how Izzy presented on stage to dock izzys pay!  He basically wears a cod piece these days, suggesting he's not about flaunting his junk as he did so freely doing UYI.  I think every detail is carefully considered when it comes to Axl.

Also right before NITL Axl sought to have the fat Axl photo removed from the internet.  

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/axl-rose-issues-takedown-notice-over-fat-axl-photo-20160606

51 minutes ago, soon said:

Axl cares a lot.  He controlled press access and photographers had a nightmare trying to get shots taken and then cleared during UYI.  He even cared enough about how Izzy presented on stage to dock izzys pay!  He basically wears a cod piece these days, suggesting he's not about flaunting his junk as he did so freely doing UYI.  I think every detail is carefully considered when it comes to Axl.

Also right before NITL Axl sought to have the fat Axl photo removed from the internet.  

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/axl-rose-issues-takedown-notice-over-fat-axl-photo-20160606

I don't disagree that the staging isn't well considered these days and he doesn't want to be a figure of ridicule but at the same time I don't think thats the same thing as being massively sensitive cuz if you were truly that sensitive you wouldn't make it on stage.

The internets an interesting thing actually in the sense that its kinda internationalized culture in a way and I think its bought about a certain clash.  For example like, I think Americans are a lot more forgiving regarding certain things whereas people in this country are pretty rude.  We love to bring a person down a peg or two, I don't even think its always necessarily meant to be so cruel, people are just straightforward whereas certain cultures might tend to be more polite.  This forum is even an example of it, watch posters from England (and even certain European countries I've noticed) they'll be more likely to call Axl a fat cunt in a very offhandish sort of way whereas Americans aren't like that so much, they'll get a quip in here and there but it doesn't seem to be the prevalent state of being that it does over here. 

7 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I don't disagree that the staging isn't well considered these days and he doesn't want to be a figure of ridicule but at the same time I don't think thats the same thing as being massively sensitive cuz if you were truly that sensitive you wouldn't make it on stage.

The internets an interesting thing actually in the sense that its kinda internationalized culture in a way and I think its bought about a certain clash.  For example like, I think Americans are a lot more forgiving regarding certain things whereas people in this country are pretty rude.  We love to bring a person down a peg or two, I don't even think its always necessarily meant to be so cruel, people are just straightforward whereas certain cultures might tend to be more polite.  This forum is even an example of it, watch posters from England (and even certain European countries I've noticed) they'll be more likely to call Axl a fat cunt in a very offhandish sort of way whereas Americans aren't like that so much, they'll get a quip in here and there but it doesn't seem to be the prevalent state of being that it does over here. 

I wonder if Axl being sensitive is what kept him from the stage for 6 years though?  He was in the press for domestic violence during that mid nineties period.

I agree very much about the various cultures online and all that.  As a Canadian, I often find Americans more crude whereas you correctly use them as an example of being more polite in contrast to others.  Canadians are known for excessive "thank you's" and an insane number of unnecessary "sorry's" but we seem to shed that when online pretty quickly.

Axl Rose is an island unto himself though.  I dont know that American culture has an archetype for this man?

5 minutes ago, soon said:

I wonder if Axl being sensitive is what kept him from the stage for 6 years though?  He was in the press for domestic violence during that mid nineties period.

I agree very much about the various cultures online and all that.  As a Canadian, I often find Americans more crude whereas you correctly use them as an example of being more polite in contrast to others.  Canadians are known for excessive "thank you's" and an insane number of unnecessary "sorry's" but we seem to shed that when online pretty quickly.

Axl Rose is an island unto himself though.  I dont know that American culture has an archetype for this man?

Parrellels have been drawn before now to certain creative geniuses etc, its certainly not unique as a principle, in fact its almost a stereotype isn't it, the reclusive obssessive very private artist type though I think the only place Axl has ever been considered a genius is in the delusions of his hardest of hardcore fans, what he is, or was depending on your perspective, a very talented singer that for one reason or another didn't maintain his initial standing.

6 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Parrellels have been drawn before now to certain creative geniuses etc, its certainly not unique as a principle, in fact its almost a stereotype isn't it, the reclusive obssessive very private artist type though I think the only place Axl has ever been considered a genius is in the delusions of his hardest of hardcore fans, what he is, or was depending on your perspective, a very talented singer that for one reason or another didn't maintain his initial standing.

Thats a good point abut the reclusive aspect of Axl.  And it probably does go a long way in categorizing him.  But do all genius artists also wear underwear and a boa to attack a biker gang in?  Maybe he's an outlier but still related to type rather then being a whole other category.  Theres 'rags to riches' tropes but Axls version of that is a 'naive redneck to po mo high concept art videos'.   Maybe I just dont know as many details about other comparable artists to Axl, but he always seemed to be a singular phenomenon to me.  I think the the naive redneck Axl and the art gallery smoozer Axl both didnt understand that they werent relatable to the mainstream and were sensitive for reasons like feeling 'othered' when they realized they werent relatable.  I dunno.

29 minutes ago, soon said:

Thats a good point abut the reclusive aspect of Axl.  And it probably does go a long way in categorizing him.  But do all genius artists also wear underwear and a boa to attack a biker gang in?  Maybe he's an outlier but still related to type rather then being a whole other category.  Theres 'rags to riches' tropes but Axls version of that is a 'naive redneck to po mo high concept art videos'.   Maybe I just dont know as many details about other comparable artists to Axl, but he always seemed to be a singular phenomenon to me.  I think the the naive redneck Axl and the art gallery smoozer Axl both didnt understand that they werent relatable to the mainstream and were sensitive for reasons like feeling 'othered' when they realized they werent relatable.  I dunno.

Iggy Pop?  Raised in a trailer park in Ypsilanti Michigan, ended up making cutting edge music that was acclaimed decades later as being some of the most important in rock n roll history, a darling of the Andy Warhol scene with Gerard Malanga, Lou Reed, John Cale and Nico all hovering around, not to mention David Bowie.  And you don't get much more unrelatable to the mainstream than Iggy was at the height of flower power and the hippie scene.  Shit, Iggy attached an entire biker gang mid gig dressed in a tutu :lol:  And got knocked the fuck out for his efforts :lol:  Iggys artsy credentials are a lot more substantial than Axls too.

But aside from that, believe it or not, broadly, a lot of rock n roll was that kind of whole clash between the redneck and mainstream palletability, you could even draw Elvis Presley into that, he wasn't really relatable to mainstream culture...at all, the kids loved him like (and i use the word like loosely here, Elvis was a phenomenon) they loved Axl but mainstream culture certainly didn't, he was more redneck than Axl and it showed, he was sort of dregs of society white trash, so much so that he was emulating the 'animalistic n!gger rock n roll' (thats a direct quote from one of those fuckin' localised ban rock n roll group leaders of the time).  Part of why rock n roll was so controversial and blew up like it did was that clash between the redneck and the accepted societal norms of the time, it was a dangerous form of music, or was considered as such anyway.  And dare I say the best rock n roll came from rednecks. 

I guess that positions Axl in quite an illustrious lineage.

Edited by Len Cnut
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Iggy Pop?  Raised in a trailer park in Ypsilanti Michigan, ended up making cutting edge music that was acclaimed decades later as being some of the most important in rock n roll history, a darling of the Andy Warhol scene with Gerard Malanga, Lou Reed, John Cale and Nico all hovering around, not to mention David Bowie.  And you don't get much more unrelatable to the mainstream than Iggy was at the height of flower power and the hippie scene.  Shit, Iggy attached an entire biker gang mid gig dressed in a tutu :lol:  And got knocked the fuck out for his efforts :lol:  Iggys artsy credentials are a lot more substantial than Axls too.

But aside from that, believe it or not, broadly, a lot of rock n roll was that kind of whole clash between the redneck and mainstream palletability, you could even draw Elvis Presley into that, he wasn't really relatable to mainstream culture...at all, the kids loved him like (and i use the word like loosely here, Elvis was a phenomenon) they loved Axl but mainstream culture certainly didn't, he was more redneck than Axl and it showed, he was sort of dregs of society white trash, so much so that he was emulating the 'animalistic n!gger rock n roll' (thats a direct quote from one of those fuckin' localised ban rock n roll group leaders of the time).  Part of why rock n roll was so controversial and blew up like it did was that clash between the redneck and the accepted societal norms of the time, it was a dangerous form of music, or was considered as such anyway.  And dare I say the best rock n roll came from rednecks. 

I guess that positions Axl in quite an illustrious lineage.

All good points, I still feel Axl has that certain je ne sais quoi. Like When Bowie and Iggy could've been said to be reclusive when they moved to Berlin, they produced the legendary trio of albums in that time.  Axl was beating up airport security to protect the magical powers of a glass orb during his wilderness years.  And after that he still could return to dominate the rock world with NITL whenever he felt like it.  Going from OIAM to the Video Trilogy in about 2 years time stands out to me, too.  But I take your points.

All good points, I still feel Axl has that certain je ne sais quoi. Like When Bowie and Iggy could've been said to be reclusive when they moved to Berlin, they produced the legendary trio of albums in that time.  Axl was beating up airport security to protect the magical powers of a glass orb during his wilderness years.

The Stooges entire initial history is littered with a great deal more violent insanity than that, some of a frightening life threatening variety.

Going from OIAM to the Video Trilogy in about 2 years time stands out to me, too.  But I take your points.

OK, how about Oasis, they went from signing to a independent record label in 1994, debut album becoming the fast selling debut, going multiplatinum, releasing second album which  sold 20 something million records, becoming the biggest band in the world and playing in front of a quarter of a million fans at Knebworth inside of 2 years? 

59 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

OK, how about Oasis, they went from signing to a independent record label in 1994, debut album becoming the fast selling debut, going multiplatinum, releasing second album which  sold 20 something million records, becoming the biggest band in the world and playing in front of a quarter of a million fans at Knebworth inside of 2 years? 

I meant the change from naive redneck seeking attention in assess chaps to high art videos and designer wardrobe, not so much the growth in fanbase and popularity.