Critically acclaimed bands/artists you hate

Silverburst80

Yeah bands who are loved by the critics but you can't stand or maybe just don't get. Here's a few from me.

The Cure- Fuckin hate em, can't really explain why but everytime see Robert Smith i wanna slap his silly made up face.

Pink Floyd- Can't say i hate them but i just don't get it, i even listened to Dark Side of the Moon when i was high and i still didn't like it.

The Strokes- Overhyped and boring as batshit.....even they don't look interested in playing their own music.

Edited by Silverburst80

I don't have any band or musician, but I have a strong dislike for:

- Pretty much any Canadian band or artist save for The Guess Who, the Tea Party, and The Band (comprised of many Canadians).  Mostly I'm talking about Rush here.  I think they're great musicians, but just can't get past Geddy's voice.  

- Steely Dan

- The Ramones

- Sex Pistols

- Chicago

- Journey

- Maiden (pretty much any thrash metal band, save for early Metallica)

- The Cure

- Jethro Tull

- Incubus

- Sarah McLaughlin

- Jimmy Buffet

- Papa Roach (not sure if they're critically acclaimed, but never liked them).

- Korn

- System of a Down

- Interpol

- Bjork

- Metric

- Phish

- Dave Matthews Band

Probably more but those are just off the top of my head.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, downzy said:

I don't have any band or musician, but I have a strong dislike for:

- Pretty much any Canadian band or artist save for The Guess Who, the Tea Party, and The Band (comprised of many Canadians).  Mostly I'm talking about Rush here.  I think they're great musicians, but just can't get past Geddy's voice.  

- Steely Dan

- The Ramones

- Sex Pistols

- Chicago

- Journey

- Maiden (pretty much any thrash metal band, save for early Metallica)

- The Cure

- Jethro Tull

- Incubus

- Sarah McLaughlin

- Jimmy Buffet

- Papa Roach (not sure if they're critically acclaimed, but never liked them).

- Korn

- System of a Down

- Interpol

- Bjork

- Metric

- Phish

- Dave Matthews Band

Probably more but those are just off the top of my head.  

I can appreciate hating Phish.  But Phish get very little love from critics.  Most critics hate them.  If you haven't already, you might get a laugh outta the podcast series by Comedians Harris Wittles (RIP) and Scott Auckerman, from Comedy Bang Bang, called Analyze Phish.  Witless as a dedicated Phish fan tries to convince Scott to enjoy Phish.  Scott holds that "the only way to like Phish is to decide to try to"

You must hate Sarah Mclaughlin as much as me since you doubled down having already said you hated most Canadian bands, lol.  She's the worst.

Theres plenty of bands I dont like that are popular, many already listed.  But the one artist who is an absolute legend that I just really don't enjoy is Buddy Guy.  Even the Chess recordings.  Especially the bloated 80s pop produced Chicago bar blues era.

I only listen to about a dozen or two bands.  Some are critically acclaimed, some aren't.   When I love an artist I go apeshit and have to have everything, even obscure b-sides.   I've never given two flying shits what anybody else says.  I love the music I love, and if something doesn't grab me by the balls on first listen, I "next" it.  So there's plenty I don't like.  There's also plenty that's just "there" and not neither offensive to me or great.  Just ambivalent.

I will say this though....I'm fairly certain over 90% of the new bands and artists in the last 15 years absolutely suck donkey dick.  What a terrible time to be a teenager when this shit is the defining sounds of your youth.  The only "new" music I like is the occasional really catchy tune you'll hear on a TV show or movie.

As for most of the "all time classics" listed above, they fall into the mostly ambivalent category.  I might be a fan of some of their radio friendly unit shifter singles.

Some already mentioned...

Led Zep. Pink Floyd. Queen. U2. Radiohead. The Strokes.

Some others....

Springsteen

Fleetwood Mac

Van Halen

Green Day (mostly the recent Green Day, I actually like some of the old)

Kanye and Eminem from the hip hop world.

8 minutes ago, J Dog said:

Some already mentioned...

Led Zep. Pink Floyd. Queen. U2. Radiohead. The Strokes.

Some others....

Springsteen

Fleetwood Mac

Van Halen

Green Day (mostly the recent Green Day, I actually like some of the old)

Kanye and Eminem from the hip hop world.

you hate Em'?

- Metallica

- Marilyn Manson

- Coldplay

- Neo-folk "hipster" bands like Bon Iver and Fleet Foxes. I don't get what's great about them.

- Van Halen

- KISS and AOR bands like Journey, Styx, REO Speedwagon etc. (I don't know if they were ever critically acclaimed though)

• Like 1

Haha, that’s my thread! And my list is endless. Most Important Dislikes

- Motley Crue

- Bon Jovi

- Europe

- Hair bands in general

- Fleetwood Mac

- Dire Straits

- U2!

- Bono especially. Never ever liked his singing. Ugh

- Green Day

- Ed Sheeran and those other babyfaces with an accoustic guitar playing popmusic but thinking they’re  some reborn young Bob Dylan nightingaling away

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Towelie said:

When were Bon Jovi critically acclaimed?

It probably depends on where you live. In some places a band/artist is critically acclaimed while in other parts of the world they are not.

I never got into Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin, but then again I never listened to most of their records.

1 hour ago, Len Cnut said:

you hate Em'?

Musically I haven't liked anything he's done since Relapse. So that means his last three albums were no good to me. MMLP2 had a few nice moments and that was it.

His last album before Relapse was bad. Which equals to 4 out of his last 5 albums being crap. That's not really a good track record for a guy critics claim is one of the greatest of all time.

On top of that, he actually said he was drawing a line in the sand and if you don't agree with his opinions then fuck you he doesn't want you as a fan. Those were pretty much his exact words. So, fuck him back.

9 hours ago, downzy said:

^I agree about Rush/Geddy.

The Tragically Hip are another Canadian band that people seem to love, that I can't stand. Their music just drones on and on like a nauseating Sunday morning hangover.

Metric might honestly be the worst band I've ever heard. Just painfully bad.

And not that they're at the same level as Rush or the Tragically Hip, but fuck July Talk too, they get far more radio play around here than is acceptable. :lol:

And the ones that have been mentioned; U2, Coldplay, Radiohead, The Doors...

This is gonna be a long post lol. I don't like to shit on other artists because music is an art form and you should be free to express yourself however you want. That said, I never understood why everyone fawns over these bands

1. Any of the hair/glam bands (Motley, Poison, Bon Jovi, etc.) I was into them for about 2 weeks after I discovered AFD. Then I discovered the Illusions records and forgot all about the hair bands. Skid Row is the only one I like, but I wouldn't label them a true hair band.

2. Radiohead. I don't hate them but I've tried again and again to understand the hype around OK Computer because my friend called it a modern version of "The Wall." Never could get into it. 

3. Post-Black Album Metallica. The Black album was their creative peak. Amazing fucking album. I have no clue what everyone sees in their late 90s/early 2000s material. It's all pretty bland, tbh. 

4. Def Leppard. They're the only non-hair band that I hate as much as the hair bands. I don't know what it is about them that just irks me whenever I hear one of their songs.

5. Ted Nugent. I hate him for the same reason a lot of people hate Axl- he says some shit that he probably shouldn't say. Isn't he like really conservative too? If so, add that to the list. 

6. Any modern country artists. I actually want to single out the ones you hear on the radio. It's like the same song with the same chord progression and the same lyrics. No individuality whatsoever. And lucky me, I live in Iowa which means I'm surrounded by it!

/rant 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Gibson_Guy87 said:

I've tried again and again to understand the hype around OK Computer because my friend called it a modern version of "The Wall." Never could get into it. 

I didn't get it at first either after a couple of listens, although I immediately liked the first single. Then I read an interview with Thom Yorke and he said that it's not an easy album and that you have to listen to it 7 or 8 times or something, so I gave it another chance and I'm glad I did because most songs grew on me and there are some fantastic songs on it. But each to their own.