How do you feel towards Axl Rose these days?

Which of the following best describes how you currently feel about Axl?  

247 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

18 minutes ago, Graeme said:

Ashba maybe, but I disagree with you about the other two. 2006 was kinda the peak of the whole thing in terms of consistency, activity and hype. 

I actually believe on the contrary. I think Ashba had way more to musically and personally do with GNR than the other two. Even with all the bullshit.

The arsehole fell out of nugnr when Bucket left. The freaks era was interesting at least and Rose was discussing trilogies and things, and debuting songs at Rio 3, so a lot of people were gullible enough to believe they'd end up with a trilogy in their lap. 

In the end it collapsed in 2002 and you had to wait six more years for one album, and Bumblefoot had re-recorded Bucket's solos and there was all sorts of overdubs and rubbish. 

8 minutes ago, default_ said:

I actually believe on the contrary. I think Ashba had way more to musically and personally do with GNR than the other two. Even with all the bullshit.

I believed and still believe in Ashba's potential.
What caught him was that he soon realized that he would be eternally participating in an act of nostalgia.

• GNFNR 1

3 hours ago, auad said:

I believed and still believe in Ashba's potential.
What caught him was that he soon realized that he would be eternally participating in an act of nostalgia.

I do too. Pretty lonely position for us to take. Lol. Thought Ashba’s studio version of “Better” showed a fantastic “ear” for what actually could get played on modern rock radio...

It does sort of feel as if the problem isn't necessary a lack of intent or inspiration, but more a case of the emperor having no clothes. I think the notion that Axl has a treasure trove of unreleased music that he's holding back is absurd. Stories of completed albums being handed over and rejected by the label strike me as nothing more than the fantasist delusions of a starved fanbase.

Creatively, I think Axl Rose has been hugely overestimated and overrated by the GNR fanbase. So he played a few impressive piano runs in the early 90s and single handedly wrote November Rain and Estranged. That's all well and good, but that was over 25 years ago. What has he offered musically since then? Take away Buckethead, Robin Finck and multiple other collaboraters from Chinese Democracy and what are we left with that we know with 100% certainty that Axl came up with? This I Love. One corny Andrew Lloyd Webber pastiche and even that dated back to the early 90s.

The endless touring and reunion happened because he had nothing else to offer.

Edited by Towelie
  • Like 2

On 4/12/2018 at 12:34 PM, DieselDaisy said:

In the end it collapsed in 2002 and you had to wait six more years for one album, and Bumblefoot had re-recorded Bucket's solos and there was all sorts of overdubs and rubbish. 

To be fair, most of Bucket’s parts are left intact on the finished album. Thal does the fretless solo on Shacklers, replaced May’s part w/ a new solo on Catcher (a song Bucket never played on) and Riad (you can listen to Bucket’s version of the solo in the Skwerl demo).

There are at least eight Bucket solos on CD.

I took Axls advice " to go and live my life" years ago and that pretty much sums us up! 

I'm not invested anymore in being disappointed about no new music. 

Sure, it sucks, but it's hardly a revelation that it still hasn't happened so over the years the disappointment has subsided into a shrug of the shoulders whenever a topic like this comes up. 

I don't really feel anything towards Axl "today". 

I readily admit to watching 86-93 clips of axl and the band in their heyday and I watch those videos in awe of the energy and vibe and everything guns brought to the table in those shows and we will never see that again. Even if a new album dropped tomorrow it wouldn't recreate 86-93, it can never be like that again, I'd still buy it and probably dissect it like every other hardcore fan but the 80s and 90s are long gone. 

It is what it is. 

And Axl is what he is! 

On 4/13/2018 at 2:25 PM, DieselDaisy said:

Maybe Rose didn't have anything in the tank after Illusion. It is an, if my auntie had bollocks, sort of argument. 

I’ve often wondered if this is true. I believe CD and Contraband bests songs could have been an amazing album. 

Edited by The Holographic Universe

Probably none of the above.  I'm glad he made amends with Slash & Duff and was able to put together an awesome tour with some incredible shows.  At the same time, as a fan, it's sort of bittersweet that it looks as if he's going to put out a new AC/DC album before (if ever) he puts out another Guns album. 

Then again, if you were to tell me that we would be seeing the "big three" in a semi-reunion tour 10 years ago, that would have been more than enough for me to be thrilled with Axl, lol.  I guess now that it's happened, the next natural "want" as a fan is to hear them record some new music together. :shrugs:

Edited by Kasanova King
  • Like 1

On 4/13/2018 at 12:25 PM, DieselDaisy said:

Maybe Rose didn't have anything in the tank after Illusion. It is an, if my auntie had bollocks, sort of argument. 

On 4/14/2018 at 1:19 AM, Towelie said:

It does sort of feel as if the problem isn't necessary a lack of intent or inspiration, but more a case of the emperor having no clothes. I think the notion that Axl has a treasure trove of unreleased music that he's holding back is absurd. Stories of completed albums being handed over and rejected by the label strike me as nothing more than the fantasist delusions of a starved fanbase.

Creatively, I think Axl Rose has been hugely overestimated and overrated by the GNR fanbase. So he played a few impressive piano runs in the early 90s and single handedly wrote November Rain and Estranged. That's all well and good, but that was over 25 years ago. What has he offered musically since then? Take away Buckethead, Robin Finck and multiple other collaboraters from Chinese Democracy and what are we left with that we know with 100% certainty that Axl came up with? This I Love. One corny Andrew Lloyd Webber pastiche and even that dated back to the early 90s.

The endless touring and reunion happened because he had nothing else to offer.

Unpopular opinion here but probably closer to the truth than most would care to admit. Unless through some miracle Axl releases a boxset from that era to prove he wasn't completely tapped out creatively.

Had he not released Chinese Democracy - the "legend", while battered, would still be intact. He sort of outed himself and his creative exhaustion with that album. His big problem is that he has this iconic brand (GnR) that he can no longer evolve because his tastes have become diametrically different from his audience. GnR fans may sit through an Andrew Lloyd Weber ballad but they're not going to be game for an album full of songs like Prostitute's outro. And I think that's where his head has been at since the late 90's. Has this changed since he's potentially doing something with Angus? Maybe. His China Exchange interview makes me think the side project w/ Angus is more about him working with a childhood hero and less about the music. A fun one-off and nothing more.  I personally don't think this guy wants to crank out hard rock songs anymore. Hence, the radio silence re: new music.

• Like 2

Yes, I know Chinese splits opinion but however one views it, there isn't an ''Estranged'' on there, is there, and we'd have to assume the better sort of material made album #1 (from a said ''trilogy'')? Rose's songwriting peaked with the lyrical Illusion epics, and perhaps he simply didn't have much left after that. If he had some masterpieces in the vault you'd have to believe he would want to get them out there!

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 2

Chinese democracy was probably the most bold and rebellious rock release in the past 20 years. Regardless if you care for any of the music or not, that's subjective anyway. 

Respect the fact that this era persisted and did things on thier terms as much as possible. 

When the industry can't bank off of you then there will be a backlash and some direct and indirect punishment. 

Isn't it funny how the press loves the NITL tour? 

Look at things from a pragmatic view once in a while instead of a fan.

10 hours ago, Order of Nine said:

Chinese democracy was probably the most bold and rebellious rock release in the past 20 years. Regardless if you care for any of the music or not, that's subjective anyway. 

Respect the fact that this era persisted and did things on thier terms as much as possible. 

When the industry can't bank off of you then there will be a backlash and some direct and indirect punishment. 

Isn't it funny how the press loves the NITL tour? 

Look at things from a pragmatic view once in a while instead of a fan.

I didn't realize over-produced and underwhelming equated to Bold and Rebellious...interesting.  

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, tsinindy said:

I didn't realize over-produced and underwhelming equated to Bold and Rebellious...interesting.  

Rebellious = they went completely agaisnt the grain, a whole new line up under the guns name, that's very bold and daring. And for over a quarter of the material they ditched the blues based rock, another bold move. Creatively taking chances and exploring different styles was bold considering Axl and everyone else knew the 80s hair nostalgia that the vast majority of the original fans had and didnt care they made what they wanted to make inspite of this.

New producer and more complex arrangements were bold as well considering most fans wanted to hear pentatonic led Zeppelin inspired riffs.

So yeah giving everyone the middle finger was bold and rebellious. And the record label and the rest of the industry turned thier nose up to them for not playing the money game that would get thier big pay day (the old lineup)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Order of Nine said:

Rebellious = they went completely agaisnt the grain, a whole new line up under the guns name, that's very bold and daring. And for over a quarter of the material they ditched the blues based rock, another bold move. Creatively taking chances and exploring different styles was bold considering Axl and everyone else knew the 80s hair nostalgia that the vast majority of the original fans had and didnt care they made what they wanted to make inspite of this.

New producer and more complex arrangements were bold as well considering most fans wanted to hear pentatonic led Zeppelin inspired riffs.

So yeah giving everyone the middle finger was bold and rebellious. And the record label and the rest of the industry turned thier nose up to them for not playing the money game that would get thier big pay day (the old lineup)

wow, you really drink the Kool Aid.  That's cool though, it apparently tastes good to you.  

• Like 1

On 4/13/2018 at 4:22 PM, WhazUp said:

He got back with Slash and Duff, has been showing up on time the past few tours, has not thrown any fits, and has overall done a great job.  Good for him

Kudos for all that for sure but for the most part it was all at least 10 years too late.. The tour was a huge success but Axl doesn't sound very good for the majority of the sets.. Never mind what he looks like.

21 hours ago, RONIN said:

GnR fans may sit through an Andrew Lloyd Weber ballad but they're not going to be game for an album full of songs like Prostitute's outro. And I think that's where his head has been at since the late 90's. Has this changed since he's potentially doing something with Angus? Maybe. His China Exchange interview makes me think the side project w/ Angus is more about him working with a childhood hero and less about the music. A fun one-off and nothing more.  I personally don't think this guy wants to crank out hard rock songs anymore. Hence, the radio silence re: new music.

I think that in the past 10 years or so he's been also much into roots-y stuff like traditional blues and country, songs like Wichita Lineman etc.

If he does something with it creatively it's another matter though. Personally I would like this direction.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Order of Nine said:

Rebelling against yourself it is not being rebellious! :rofl-lol: :facepalm:

Especially when all you do is digging your own grave with such "rebellion"... There's absolutely not one iota of rebellion and boldness in what he did. It was just the crazy mind of a hateful man who destroyed his own career and now he had to go back where he started so that he wouldn't sink even more from all the "rebellion" he did to himself.

No one else wasted more time, money, talent and key band members than Axl Rose in the past 2 decades. The results of it were not worth any "rebellion". 

Oh and the money game, LOL, it is called NITL now. Fans giving the middle finger to the 'rebel without a cause' Rose, making it clear that a GN'R sans Slash is plain bullshit, unless he wants to keep playing Vegas hotels.

Edited by killuridols
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom-Ass said:

Kudos for all that for sure but for the most part it was all at least 10 years too late.. The tour was a huge success but Axl doesn't sound very good for the majority of the sets.. Never mind what he looks like.

Not that Axl didn't have some not-as-good moments, and granted I didn't follow 2017 shows as much as 2016, but at least all the 2016 shows I was at or saw via Youtube I thought he sounded great!  2017 was more spotty from what I saw for sure, but I thought there were some great points from what I remember checking out, no?