STEVEN ADLER: "Izzy is just as heartbroken as I am that the three of them decided to leave us out and bring three strangers in–who are those people?"

37 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

As opposed to two alcoholic-drug addicts currently in the band?

They're clean now, and have been for the better part of two decades, haven't they? Also, as mentioned, at their very worst, 25 years ago, they were functioning addicts. I get it, you have to try to pick apart any incident you can from Slash or Duff in the last 25 years to make them seem just as bad as the guy who was thrown out because he couldn't function and spent about 30 years showing everyone why, time and time again. 

21 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I would say he has been functioning since he has been sober which has been his state for four years, that is if we are taking the description of an ''addict'' to indicate permanency of addiction regardless of current sobriety (which is not an opinion I subscribe to but I'm willing to go along with it for sake of argument). McKagan was addicted to prescription drugs during Velvet Revolver, and it wasn't that long ago that Slash had a defibrillator. 

Heck, Slash's boozy car ride to Rose's Malibu gaffe - when was that, 2005ish? That was not that long ago. 

Fact,

- Guns N' Roses's fame was achieved by four addicts (and a nutter).

- Adler was neither the first heroin addict (Izzy was), nor initially the worst.

- That band, consisting of three of those same addicts still indulging in their addictions, sacked that fourth addict for his addiction.

- As with Adler, two of those addicts have had their periods of sobriety followed by relapses, stretching well past the millennium. They have both had their near-death experiences and health repercussions, exploding organs, defibrillators, hollowed out cocaine noses, etc.

The sacking of Adler was nothing less than gross hypocrisy.   

What season of Celebrity Rehab were Duff and Slash on?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Modano09 said:

They're clean now, and have been for the better part of two decades, haven't they? Also, as mentioned, at their very worst, 25 years ago, they were functioning addicts. I get it, you have to try to pick apart any incident you can from Slash or Duff in the last 25 years to make them seem just as bad as the guy who was thrown out because he couldn't function and spent about 30 years showing everyone why, time and time again. 

Slash was certainly boozing until 05ish, and possibly later, and Duff was pill-popping during Velvet Revolver, so I think you need to shorten your arbitrary time period.

10 minutes ago, Modano09 said:

What season of Celebrity Rehab were Duff and Slash on?

I imagine their episode would have been equally as embarrassing as Adler's, exploding pancreases and all. 

11 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

and Duff was pill-popping during Velvet Revolver

Duff example isn't a good one, for two weeks he got high on Xanax during a Velvet Revolver tour and as far as we know, that has been his only slip up since he got clean and sober in 1994, and he hasn't been boozing or doing coke since that year.

Edited by EvanG

26 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I wouldn't take that wager.

Garbage. Stradlin was on the junk as early as Hollywood Rose Days. Ever heard that story of Slash and Izzy frantically trying to find junk in LA before that Johnny Thunders show they played, just making the gig in time - that was '87 ish. Slash sold his first Les Paul for junk - that was '85-6.

Switch Izzy, whose path to sobriety was far swifter, for Slash and Duff and throw that question back at you.

I wouldn't say Slash clinically dying for x minutes in a lift is a symbol of a ''functioning'' addict, nor running around naked from little devils or demons. McKagan openly admits to fluffing his basslines at an Illusion show in his book. 

The band barely limped on regardless. It was over by 1993. 

Again, how much did drug use impede their ability to PLAY though? To make music? It seems not to have effected Slash, Duff & Izzy's ability to produce music from 1987 to 1993. What did Steven do the entirety of the 90s after being sacked? Even Duff was able to compile an album of his own at arguably the height of his addiction in 1993.

That's an acute overdose situation. He wasn't dying everyday, and he went on stage and played the very next day. 

Barely limped on? They had a second renaissance of their career in 1992 when NR took off. It was over because of Axl's desire to musically transform the band into something it was not, and his acting like a dictator to achieve that end, which made it be over. It had very little to do with drugs.

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

Slash was certainly boozing until 05ish, and possibly later, and Duff was pill-popping during Velvet Revolver, so I think you need to shorten your arbitrary time period.

I imagine their episode would have been equally as embarrassing as Adler's, exploding pancreases and all. 

Did they have Celebrity Rehab in 1994? Slash and Duff missed out on things like celebrity rehab because they didn't maintain their trashwreck, addict lifestyle well into the 2000's when celebrity reality shows were trendy. 

36 minutes ago, Modano09 said:

Did they have Celebrity Rehab in 1994? Slash and Duff missed out on things like celebrity rehab because they didn't maintain their trashwreck, addict lifestyle well into the 2000's when celebrity reality shows were trendy. 

Yes they did. 

45 minutes ago, killuridols said:

Am I reading a ridiculous argument like someone is not a drugaddict only because they were not featured in a reality tv show??? :facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm:

No I'm saying they were all drug addicts/abusers but one of them was such a shameless trainwreck he was doing reality shows about it 20 years later. 

13 minutes ago, Modano09 said:

No I'm saying they were all drug addicts/abusers but one of them was such a shameless trainwreck he was doing reality shows about it 20 years later. 

it makes sense what you say.
a good opportunity to close the subject, and who knows the topic.

News outlets like Loudwire are finally picking up on it

Not many are actually showing sympathy toward Adler, more that it makes him publicly look like a crybaby regarding the situation.  I have to agree.  His mind is trapped in the 80's, and he needs to move on.

4 hours ago, Fashionista said:

There's a difference. Slash and Duff were functioning addicts. Steven couldn't even cut one number right or play two songs without Duff's guidance for the beat live on drugs. World of difference.

That was like 1990

49 minutes ago, Modano09 said:

Right. And there's another one who was such a shameless train wreck he replaced every member of his original band until one day they all showed up on MTV looking like freaks and the audience was like WTF WHAT'S THIS CIRCUS? and he had to shelf himself for quite some years, although later he became a Vegas act in a flying piano...... I've heard the Cirque Du Soleil was interested at some point :facepalm:

Not sure what kind of drugs make you act like a clown, but yeah.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Not only boozing but didn't he write about shooting up while in VR?

22 minutes ago, Gackt said:

News outlets like Loudwire are finally picking up on it

Not many are actually showing sympathy toward Adler, more that it makes him publicly look like a crybaby regarding the situation.  I have to agree.  His mind is trapped in the 80's, and he needs to move on.

Screwing Steven and Izzy out of the reunion didn't happen in the 80's.. It was 2016.

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

I should have mentioned the nutter.

Three drug addicts and a nutter booted their drummer out of the band for a drug addiction!

Hypocrisy of the highest order.

No. They didn't kick him because he was a drug addict. This is just you again believing what you prefer to believe.

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

Because that is exactly what they did. What else did they kick him out for, a fondness for Kiss?

Err, because he "was beginning to get erratic. His participation in rehearsals and writing and recording sessions became less frequent, and his ability to perform suffered big-time". Guns N' Roses never worried about addiction as long as it didn't interfere with the music. Izzy's heroin addiction was tolerated from the get-go, they probably thought it was kinda cool. As was Slash and Steven's when they started. Drugs? No problem, just don't let it hurt the band. Only when it resulted in not being able to work, did the other guys react. That's what motivated Axl to do his "dancing with Mr. Brownstone" speech in '89 because Slash, Steven and Izzy was not functioning well anymore. And that's why Steve was fired: He was not a functioning addict anymore, he lost control.

Then we can add additional plausible reasons why they wanted him out, like him being an annoying manchild with a limited repertoire. But the primary reason was likely that he couldn't do his work anymore. It couldn't possible have been simply because he was an addict.

3 minutes ago, Padme said:

Have you read Slash and Duff books?

Have you?

1 minute ago, SoulMonster said:

Err, because he "was beginning to get erratic. His participation in rehearsals and writing and recording sessions became less frequent, and his ability to perform suffered big-time". Guns N' Roses never worried about addiction as long as it didn't interfere with the music. Izzy's heroin addiction was tolerated from the get-go, they probably thought it was kinda cool. As was Slash and Steven's when they started. Drugs? No problem, just don't let it hurt the band. Only when it resulted in not being able to work, did the other guys react. That's what motivated Axl to do his "dancing with Mr. Brownstone" speech in '89 because Slash, Steven and Izzy was not functioning well anymore. And that's why Steve was fired: He was not a functioning addict anymore, he lost control.

Then we can add additional plausible reasons why they wanted him out, like him being an annoying manchild with a limited repertoire. But the primary reason was likely that he couldn't do his work anymore. It couldn't possible have been simply because he was an addict.

Have you?

It was because of drug addiction.