STEVEN ADLER: "Izzy is just as heartbroken as I am that the three of them decided to leave us out and bring three strangers in–who are those people?"

almost seems like steven knows that no ones listening to him bitch anymore so hes dropping izzys name to get some attention. hey if it helps him sell more tickets to his next show, great, i like steve a lot, but the boat has sailed. the average soccer mom doesnt give a shit if him or izzy are there and it seems like thats the only thing that matters right now

• Like 1

Maybe, just maybe, they just doesn't want Adler around? 

You can't assume that just because a group of guys played together 30 years ago they want to do it again... Hell, there is a bunch of people I've played with for years that I wouldn't want to play with again. Axl, Slash and Duff not wanting to play with Adler doesn't make them assholes, they may just not want to be in a band with him again.

1 hour ago, youngswedishvinyl said:

You can't assume that just because a group of guys played together 30 years ago they want to do it again... Hell, there is a bunch of people I've played with for years that I wouldn't want to play with again. Axl, Slash and Duff not wanting to play with Adler doesn't make them assholes, they may just not want to be in a band with him again.

that is very possible. there are things we dont know about, which happened between them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, youngswedishvinyl said:

But they haven't ignored Adler. Axl had a chat with him for many hours in Vegas. Duff and Slash have colaborated with Adler. Slash son's band will be the opening act for Adler's shows. They never made a case against Adler in recent times. In fact Adler was a guest in a couple of shows. Even if they make a case against Adler. What about Izzy? They never explained the reason why neither Adler nor Izzy are part of the reunion as permanent members. In this band nobody is in a position to cast the first stone

4 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Yes of course, but by just saying "they kicked him out due to addiction" you are deliberately obfuscating the issue so you can keep on whining about what hypocrites Slash and Duff were. Pathetic. 

This is really one of your semantic exercises which you have created for yourself because nobody wants to discuss religion with you.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Padme said:

But they haven't ignored Adler. Axl had a chat with him for many hours in Vegas. Duff and Slash have colaborated with Adler. Slash son's band will be the opening act for Adler's shows. They never made a case against Adler in recent times. In fact Adler was a guest in a couple of shows. Even if they make a case against Adler. What about Izzy? They never explained the reason why neither Adler nor Izzy are part of the reunion as permanent members. In this band nobody is in a position to cast the first stone

Well I don't know either but being friends with someone and regularly playing with someone is two different things! They may just want to keep in contact with him as an old friend but not necessarily have him in the band. When Izzy left they didn't invite West Arkeen as a rhythm guitarist, they probably didn't want to be in a band with him either although they were good friends :)

34 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

This is really one of your semantic exercises which you have created for yourself because nobody wants to discuss religion with you.

No, it isn't just a semantic exercise. Don't pretend to be a moron. The ONLY way you can continue to claim that Slash and Duff were hypocrites when they kicked Steven out, is by claiming they did it because he was a drug addict. Your whole set-up doesn't work if you tell the whole story, that they did it because they couldn't depend upon him in the studio anymore (and other reasons like they becoming completely fed up with his inane personality). It's pathetic.

Just now, SoulMonster said:

No, it isn't just a semantic exercise. Don't pretend to be a moron. The ONLY way you can continue to claim that Slash and Duff were hypocrites when they kicked Steven out, is by claiming they did it because he was a drug addict. Your whole set-up doesn't work if you tell the whole story, that they did it because they couldn't depend upon him in the studio anymore (and other reasons like they becoming completely fed up with his inane personality). It's pathetic.

As I said, this is like blaming a crash on a drink-driver's driving skills and not the fact he was inebriated. 

13 minutes ago, youngswedishvinyl said:

Well I don't know either but being friends with someone and regularly playing with someone is two different things! They may just want to keep in contact with him as an old friend but not necessarily have him in the band. When Izzy left they didn't invite West Arkeen as a rhythm guitarist, they probably didn't want to be in a band with him either although they were good friends :)

But West Arkeen never was a band member. He just colaborated with them in a few songs. Adler and Izzy were band members. And in the case of Adler he got invited as guest. The question they never answered is why just guest instead of full time member in this case when GN'R decided to do a reunion. We can only guess. But we never got a straight answer. The same can be said about Izzy.

If there is a reunion tour and Izzy and Adler are not back as full time members. It is clear Axl, Slash and Duff don't want them. And we can make the case they don't need them. Fine, still fans have the right to wish otherwise. The 5 of them are alive. Yet they can't make a proper reunion?

Slash on firing Steven (interview from 1991 yet it is like he is talking directly to DieselDaisy...eerie): Anybody who thinks we just kicked him out is just somebody who doesn't know what the fuck they are talking about and doesn't know what went on. [...] All he lived for was sex, drugs, and rock & roll - in that order. Maybe drugs, sex, and rock & roll. Then it was drugs & rock and roll. Then it was just drugs.

It's like Steven couldn't even handle being an addict. While the rest of the band still functioned as musicians, Steven couldn't He fucked up even at being a druggie.

6 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Slash on firing Steven (interview from 1991 yet it is like he is talking directly to DieselDaisy...eerie): Anybody who thinks we just kicked him out is just somebody who doesn't know what the fuck they are talking about and doesn't know what went on. [...] All he lived for was sex, drugs, and rock & roll - in that order. Maybe drugs, sex, and rock & roll. Then it was drugs & rock and roll. Then it was just drugs.

It's like Steven couldn't even handle being an addict. While the rest of the band still functioned as musicians, Steven couldn't He fucked up even at being a druggie.

How is being clinically dead on multiple occasions, or running around a resort naked while being chased by devils, or having your inner organs explode, ''functioning as a musician'', ''handling an addiction''? It is merely a quirk of history that all five members of GN'R are alive. You consider yourself a historian of this band, so you should know that McKagan admitted to fluffing basslines during the Illusion tour in his autobiography. 

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

Here's Slash talking about firing Steven (interview from 1991): See, [Steven] never quite made it to that growing up period that the rest of us went through. [...] I didn't want to go into the studio because his playing was just so far off. He'll argue with me even now and say, "I played great." But he didn't, he couldn't. The guy was nodding out all over the place. That went on for a couple of moths, and then I cancelled the studio time because it was a waste of money. So the only song on the album that Steven played on is "Civil War." He thought he was great, but we had to edit the drum track like mad just so we could play along with it. Even then, I had to remember where the drum mistakes were to keep the guitar in time with them.

Edited by SoulMonster

3 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

How is being clinically dead on multiple occasions, or running around a resort naked while being chased by devils, or having your inner organs explode, ''functioning as a musician'', ''handling an addiction''? 

Because Slash didn't let his addiction cause the band to suffer (much), in contrast to Steven. For most part, Slash could still do his duties in the studio and on stage, despite being an addict. So he managed to combine these two things. Steven, as he spiralled further and further down into addiction, wasn't able to handle his life as a musician, so the band started to suffer more and more. 

How is this so hard to grasp? My 5-year-old would get this :lol:

7 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Here's Slash talking about firing Steven (interview from 1991): See, [Steven] never quite made it to that growing up period that the rest of us went through. [...] I didn't want to go into the studio because his playing was just so far off. He'll argue with me even now and say, "I played great." But he didn't, he couldn't. The guy was nodding out all over the place. That went on for a couple of moths, and then I cancelled the studio time because it was a waste of money. So the only song on the album that Steven played on is "Civil War." He thought he was great, but we had to edit the drum track like mad just so we could play along with it. Even then, I had to remember where the drum mistakes were to keep the guitar in time with them.

Is this statement from Saul ''I didn't go drunkenly to Rose's house, oh yes I did go drunkenly to Roses's house'' Hudson? I think it should be fairly obvious now that Slash, Axl and Duff are habitual liars! 

1 minute ago, SoulMonster said:

Because Slash didn't let his addiction cause the band to suffer (much), in contrast to Steven. For most part, Slash could still do his duties in the studio and on stage, despite being an addict. So he managed to combine these two things. Steven, as he spiralled further and further down into addiction, wasn't able to handle his life as a musician, so the band started to suffer more and more. 

''Much''?

''For the most part''.

You are setting completely arbitrary parameters over what constitutes functional intoxication. Apparently being prone to (well) death or having ones inner organs explode makes one more utilitarian than (allegedly) fluffing drum lines. 

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

Is this statement from Saul ''I didn't go drunkenly to Rose's house, oh yes I did go drunkenly to Roses's house'' Hudson? I think it should be fairly obvious now that Slash, Axl and Duff are habitual liars! 

You are setting completely arbitrary parameters over what constitutes functional intoxication. Apparently being prone to (well) death or having ones inner organs explode makes one more utilitarian than (allegedly) fluffing drum lines. 

I am not the one setting the parameters for when a GN'R band member is too fucked up, that parameter was set by Axl, Slash and Duff when they decided to fire Steven. Apparently, Steven had crossed some lines no one else did, and when reading Duff and Slash talk about the early UYI recordings and having to edit the drum tracks, wasting a year of studio time, it becomes clear what those lines were.

Haha, so now Slash and Duff are lying about this. Here's the thing: I'd rather believe the words of Slash and Duff who was there and actually dealing with Steven, than the words of you :lol: 

5 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

I am not the one setting the parameters for when a GN'R band member is too fucked up, that parameter was set by Axl, Slash and Duff when they decided to fire Steven. Apparently, Steven had crossed some lines no one else did, and when reading Duff and Slash talk about the early UYI recordings and having to edit the drum tracks, wasting a year of studio time, it becomes clear what those lines were.

Haha, so now Slash and Duff are lying about this. Here's the thing: I'd rather believe the words of Slash and Duff who was there and actually dealing with Steven, than the words of you :lol: 

Did you believe Slash when he said he didn't go on a nocturnal drive to Axl's house? 

Slash's addiction was at its worst during downtime. That's why he always stays productive to this day.

While the band was productive, he never missed a show or was even late. He could still play great guitar. 

He was a PR machine. Up early every morning doing interviews and promoting the album, tour and band.

He basically was and still is a workaholic.  It keeps him sane.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

Did you believe Slash when he said he didn't go on a nocturnal drive to Axl's house? 

Irrelevant. Everybody lies at times. Doesn't mean you can conveniently disregard as a liar any first-person source whose description of what actually took place goes against what you have decided is the truth. That's not how the world works, DieselDaisy.

43 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

if slash had NOT been found by band manager nearly dead on the floor and would NOT have been brought to hospital immediately Slash would have died. I suppose THAT would have influenced the band...

Slash was only lucky the manager came around. and Goldstein  also said that he always had like 2 "anti drug injections" with him (just in case)  for Slash and Steven. Well he used it for Slash to save his life. So Slash was really superb in being an addicted musician ??!!! 

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

1 minute ago, Natty said:

if slash had NOT been found by band manager nearly dead on the floor and would NOT have been brought to hospital immediately Slash would have died. I suppose THAT would have influenced the band...

Slash was only lucky the manager came around. and Goldstein  also said that he always had like 2 "anti drug injections" with him (just in case)  for Slash and Steven. Well he used it for Slash to save his life. So Slash was really superb in being an addicted musician ??!!! 

As I have stated before, the band didn't really care what the other band members did when they weren't in rehearsals or on the stage. If they could drag themselves into studio and do their stuff there, then they could be overdosing as much as they wanted on their spare time. Steven couldn't.

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

As I have stated before, the band didn't really care what the other band members did when they weren't in rehearsals or on the stage. If they could drag themselves into studio and do their stuff there, then they could be overdosing as much as they wanted on their spare time. Steven couldn't.

:facepalm:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Natty said:

:facepalm:

Yes, pretty terrible of them. But that's how Duff explains it: The truth is we didn't care what drugs people did or how much they did. We cared only about our work and our ability to keep the band moving forward [...].

Otherwise they'd had to kick Izzy out from the start, kick Slash out when he got addicted, and Duff out later, too. Hell, they'd even had to kick Axl out when he OD'ed on pills. But they didn't. They kicked Axl out when he missed a gig in '86 (yet took him back again a few days later) and they kicked Steven out when he held them up in the recording studio for a year and couldn't play anymore (when Matt came in they did his drum takes for the entire Illusions in only five weeks (!)). It wasn't about the drugs and destructive lifestyles. It wasn't a fear that they'd lose a band member, nor trying to help their friends overcome destructive addictions. It wasn't about what they did in their free time. It was about being able to perform in the studio and on stage. It was the difference between a functioning addict and a non-functioning addict. Between someone who could handle it and someone who couldn't.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Yes, pretty terrible of them. But that's how Duff explains it: The truth is we didn't care what drugs people did or how much they did. We cared only about our work and our ability to keep the band moving forward [...].

Otherwise they'd had to kick Izzy out from the start, kick Slash out when he got addicted, and Duff out later, too. Hell, they'd even had to kick Axl out when he OD'ed on pills. But they didn't. They kicked Axl out when he missed a gig in '86 (yet took him back again a few days later) and they kicked Steven out when he held them up in the recording studio for a year and couldn't play anymore (when Matt came in they did his drum takes for the entire Illusions in only five weeks (!)). It wasn't about the drugs and destructive lifestyles. It wasn't a fear that they'd lose a band member, nor trying to help their friends overcome destructive addictions. It wasn't about what they did in their free time. It was about being able to perform in the studio and on stage. It was the difference between a functioning addict and a non-functioning addict. Between someone who could handle it and someone who couldn't.

You are very right, of course, and the difference between Slash and Steven is so obvious (Slash could play, Steven couldn't), but some here just don't want to understand.