STEVEN ADLER: "Izzy is just as heartbroken as I am that the three of them decided to leave us out and bring three strangers in–who are those people?"

8 minutes ago, Modano09 said:

Oh I'm sure they all bought tickets on the off chance of getting to see Steven Adler. 

The rumor about Steven playing in Argentina was around for a couple weeks before the show. I bought ticket for the second show thinking that it might be a surprise, but I didn't know it would be him.

Four days before the show I was confirmed that it would be him. But I thought he was going to do only one show.

Got totally surprised when I saw him joining the stage the first date and I definitely felt like my ticket was worth all the money I paid, since I will probably never see Steven playing with GN'R again or even see Steven playing anywhere.

I'm extremely thankful that it happened to me because I'm poor and live in the third world, but I'm sad other fans didn't get this in their shows. It is not fair at all.

Edited by killuridols
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, PatrickS77 said:

As we've pointed out before, said risk is not existant with Ferrer around, who could step in, should Adler become a problem.

From a purely business standpoint, why pay 2 drummers? Unless Steven is working REALLY cheap, I doubt enough tickets would be sold because of him to profit on his being there.

3 hours ago, killuridols said:

What's more inconsistent than saying Not In This Lifetime and then doing it? :lol:

To be fair, the question he answered was about a reunion, which still hasn't happened.

Edited by Gnrcane

2 hours ago, killuridols said:

The rumor about Steven playing in Argentina was around for a couple weeks before the show. I bought ticket for the second show thinking that it might be a surprise, but I didn't know it would be him.

Four days before the show I was confirmed that it would be him. But I thought he was going to do only one show.

Got totally surprised when I saw him joining the stage the first date and I definitely felt like my ticket was worth all the money I paid, since I will probably never see Steven playing with GN'R again or even see Steven playing anywhere.

I'm extremely thankful that it happened to me because I'm poor and live in the third world, but I'm sad other fans didn't get this in their shows. It is not fair at all.

I was hoping to be able to see Steven play on this tour as well. I had no expectations but it would have been a great surprise.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Powderfinger said:

I get up around seven, Go to yoga about nine.

Head to the gym around 11, sippping green tea and feeling fine.

We’ve been Jogging with, Sensei Benny. He ain’t rockin, motherfucker, motherfucker won’t let me get stoned. 

I used to jog a little, but the little wouldn’t do it, so I started to jog more and more.

Just kept trying to jog a little further, a little further than before. 

I used to Kick box a little, but the little wouldn’t do it, so I started to kick box more and more.

Just kept trying to get my foot a little higher, a little higher than before.

We’ve been sober, for far too long now, we can’t remember, motherfucker motherfucker it’s ok to get stoned.

This post is GOLD! :lol:

6 hours ago, Gnrcane said:

From a purely business standpoint, why pay 2 drummers? Unless Steven is working REALLY cheap, I doubt enough tickets would be sold because of him to profit on his being there.

Does it all have to be about the business?? How about doing it for the fans? Doing what's right?? But either way. He wouldn't be that expensive to really make a dent in what Axl, Duff and Slash are making, considering the way they are overcharging on this tour compared to their previous tours. And really, if they are so cash poor that they can't afford it and adding him put would put them in the poorhouse, they could add 1.50 $ dollar extra on each ticket. So they would have an extra 25,000 at an arena show and an extra 75,000 at a stadium show give or take and that should cover it.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Modano09 said:

Either way, he wanted to play a night he wasn't supposed to be playing so they let him play 1 song both nights instead of 2 songs 1 night.

And that in in itself is petty and disrespectful as hell. What would have happened if they would have let him play 2 songs on 2 nights? If they had made him and the fans happy on both nights. Would the stadium have collapsed? Would the tour have collapsed? What is the reason they had to be dicks and make his already measly 2 song contribution even smaller and pathetic?? It's just sticking to him more and showing him that they are just throwing him a bone and scraps. Angus Young gets to be play more often with them than him. That's pathetic.

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 2

2 hours ago, PatrickS77 said:

Does it all have to be about the business?? How about doing it for the fans? Doing what's right?? But either way. He wouldn't be that expensive to really make a dent in what Axl, Duff and Slash are making, considering the way they are overcharging on this tour compared to their previous tours. And really, if they are so cash poor that they can't afford it and adding him put would put them in the poorhouse, they could add 1.50 $ dollar extra on each ticket. So they would have an extra 25,000 at an arena show and an extra 75,000 at a stadium show give or take and that should cover it.

Agree ronin. Slash always said he would do  it for the fans but the condition was the original 5 only....well i guess once the money came into it and slash wanted to have a relationship with axl band politics came first.  Ive said this on a previous thread afd5 should have happened straight after the LA show. A 4 date club show across the US , no stadiums just clubs back where it all began,  advertise it as a show that will never happen again. They blew that chance.

5 hours ago, RONIN said:

It would be nice if GnR could move on from 1987-1991. They haven't. And neither have most of the fans.

They have considering alot of the circumstances, it's just that most people can't come to terms that the original 5 was not going to have any longevity. I loved Chinese, but I do think it's a shame more material hasn't been released. I suspect record label politics are a factor that possibly have stalled and held back that process. Now it's Axl/DC.

Also, every step Axl has made to leave the past in the past he's gotten alot of hate for having that attitude. I applaud that. It's much easier to play it safe and retain that comfort zone.. Axl has gone against the grain more then any mainstream rock act has in recent years. Itseems to me that people really don't want to move forward, they want to be nostalgic.

Edited by Order of Nine

4 hours ago, PatrickS77 said:

In cases like this with Guns, I would suspect doing things for the fans would be a completely contrived and fake outcome. 

Why would anyone demand something that is not real and from the heart? 

Selfish is my guess.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PatrickS77 said:

And that in in itself is petty and disrespectful as hell. What would have happened if they would have let him play 2 songs on 2 nights? If they had made him and the fans happy on both nights. Would the stadium have collapsed? Would the tour have collapsed? What is the reason they had to be dicks and make his already measly 2 song contribution even smaller and pathetic?? It's just sticking to him more and showing him that they are just throwing him a bone and scraps. Angus Young gets to be play more often with them than him. That's pathetic.

Knowing Adler, if they let him play 2 songs when he's not supposed to, he probably shows up at more shows expecting to play because he's there. It seems clear by now that they can't give the guy anything without him wanting more and whining about it when he doesn't get it. 

1 hour ago, Order of Nine said:

In cases like this with Guns, I would suspect doing things for the fans would be a completely contrived and fake outcome. 

Why would anyone demand something that is not real and from the heart? 

Selfish is my guess.

Exactly.  This is a band that has NEVER done things for the fans.  They basically "wrote what they wanted" and "played what they wanted."  Their biggest tour prior to NITL featured the lead singer telling the fans to go f*** themselves on a nightly basis by showing up late for no reason. 

9 minutes ago, Gnrcane said:

Exactly.  This is a band that has NEVER done things for the fans.  They basically "wrote what they wanted" and "played what they wanted."  Their biggest tour prior to NITL featured the lead singer telling the fans to go f*** themselves on a nightly basis by showing up late for no reason. 

I agree they could do a little more for the fans but asking them to have their 2 year reunion tour relying on an obnoxious drug addict is asking a lot. 

22 minutes ago, Gnrcane said:

It definitely isn't fake! 

I suppose most would like some superficial acknowledgement. 

Not me, I get it and apperciate real motives. This will be one of the last bands of this caliber to do things thier way on thier terms. 

43 minutes ago, Modano09 said:

I agree they could do a little more for the fans but asking them to have their 2 year reunion tour relying on an obnoxious drug addict is asking a lot. 

As opposed to two alcoholic-drug addicts currently in the band?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

As opposed to two alcoholic-drug addicts currently in the band?

There's a difference. Slash and Duff were functioning addicts. Steven couldn't even cut one number right or play two songs without Duff's guidance for the beat live on drugs. World of difference.

• GNFNR 1

7 minutes ago, Fashionista said:

There's a difference. Slash and Duff were functioning addicts. Steven couldn't even cut one number right or play two songs without Duff's guidance for the beat live on drugs. World of difference.

Exactly.

Just now, Fashionista said:

I would say he has been functioning since he has been sober which has been his state for four years, that is if we are taking the description of an ''addict'' to indicate permanency of addiction regardless of current sobriety (which is not an opinion I subscribe to but I'm willing to go along with it for sake of argument). McKagan was addicted to prescription drugs during Velvet Revolver, and it wasn't that long ago that Slash had a defibrillator. 

Heck, Slash's boozy car ride to Rose's Malibu gaffe - when was that, 2005ish? That was not that long ago. 

Fact,

- Guns N' Roses's fame was achieved by four addicts (and a nutter).

- Adler was neither the first heroin addict (Izzy was), nor initially the worst.

- That band, consisting of three of those same addicts still indulging in their addictions, sacked that fourth addict for his addiction.

- As with Adler, two of those addicts have had their periods of sobriety followed by relapses, stretching well past the millennium. They have both had their near-death experiences and health repercussions, exploding organs, defibrillators, hollowed out cocaine noses, etc.

The sacking of Adler was nothing less than gross hypocrisy.   

• Like 3

Just now, DieselDaisy said:

I would say he has been functioning since he has been sober which has been his state for four years, that is if we are taking the description of an ''addict'' to indicate permanency of addiction regardless of current sobriety (which is not an opinion I subscribe to but I'm willing to go along with it for sake of argument). McKagan was addicted to prescription drugs during Velvet Revolver, and it wasn't that long ago that Slash had a defibrillator. 

Heck, Slash's boozy car ride to Rose's Malibu gaffe - when was that, 2005ish? That was not that long ago. 

Fact,

- Adler was neither the first heroin addict (Izzy was), nor initially the worst.

- That band, consisting of three of those same addicts still indulging in their addictions, sacked that fourth addict for his addiction.

- As with Adler, two of those addicts have had their periods of sobriety followed by relapses, stretching well past the millennium. They have both had their near-death experiences and health repercussions, exploding organs, defibrillators, hollowed out cocaine noses, etc.

How long would sobriety last when dealing with the pressure of a massive world tour though? Because that's what a reunion is. Pressure to please thousands of people and being in every big city on the planet. Ever dealt with an addict? The whole point of addiction for most of them is to escape pressure. I would wager Steven's sobriety would not last long on a full length tour.

-The band weren't that big of drug addicts when they first got big, or when they recorded AFD to put more of a fine point on it because they simply didn't have the money to be spending it all on drugs

-Okay, and how did heroin addiction effect Izzy versus Steven? You can have two people take the same drug and get the opposite results.

-The band, consisting three of those same addicts still indulging, sacked the fourth because the fourth's addiction had gotten to the point where he was a non-functioning member of the band. The others were addicted to drugs but it had not impeded their ability to create in the studio or play live. Evidently in the case of Steven, heroin destroyed his ability and the band were not in the position to wait another year trying to get him clean enough to play. 

The sacking of Steven was necessary for the survival of the band past 1990. We might never have seen the UYIs come out if he had remained. Just as the sacking of Brian Jones was necessary for the Rolling Stones to continue into the 1970s. Very similar situations in a lot of ways. 

11 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Fact,

And needed in order to complete the illusions recordings and to tour the world for the coming years...

Why do you choose to deliberately leave out key pieces?

Edited by Order of Nine

3 minutes ago, Fashionista said:

How long would sobriety last when dealing with the pressure of a massive world tour though? Because that's what a reunion is. Pressure to please thousands of people and being in every big city on the planet. Ever dealt with an addict? The whole point of addiction for most of them is to escape pressure. I would wager Steven's sobriety would not last long on a full length tour.

I wouldn't take that wager.

3 minutes ago, Fashionista said:

-The band weren't that big of drug addicts when they first got big, or when they recorded AFD to put more of a fine point on it because they simply didn't have the money to be spending it all on drugs

Garbage. Stradlin was on the junk as early as Hollywood Rose Days. Ever heard that story of Slash and Izzy frantically trying to find junk in LA before that Johnny Thunders show they played, just making the gig in time - that was '87 ish. Slash sold his first Les Paul for junk - that was '85-6.

5 minutes ago, Fashionista said:

-Okay, and how did heroin addiction effect Izzy versus Steven? You can have two people take the same drug and get the opposite results.

Switch Izzy, whose path to sobriety was far swifter, for Slash and Duff and throw that question back at you.

6 minutes ago, Fashionista said:

-The band, consisting three of those same addicts still indulging, sacked the fourth because the fourth's addiction had gotten to the point where he was a non-functioning member of the band. The others were addicted to drugs but it had not impeded their ability to create in the studio or play live. Evidently in the case of Steven, heroin destroyed his ability and the band were not in the position to wait another year trying to get him clean enough to play. 

The sacking of Steven was necessary for the survival of the band past 1990. We might never have seen the UYIs come out if he had remained. Just as the sacking of Brian Jones was necessary for the Rolling Stones to continue into the 1970s. Very similar situations in a lot of ways. 

I wouldn't say Slash clinically dying for x minutes in a lift is a symbol of a ''functioning'' addict, nor running around naked from little devils or demons. McKagan openly admits to fluffing his basslines at an Illusion show in his book. 

The band barely limped on regardless. It was over by 1993.