ludurigan

STEVEN ADLER: "Izzy is just as heartbroken as I am that the three of them decided to leave us out and bring three strangers in–who are those people?"

19 minutes ago, RONIN said:

Bingo. Double standards. And that's fine - it is what it is. But I wonder if Duff was in Steven's situation, would Slash have fired his bff? 

You're basing a lot of your posts in this thread around judging Steven's struggles with addiction and his personality flaws as a justification for his removal from the band. The answer is really much simpler. Axl and Slash didn't like him enough to keep him in the band. End of story. If they liked Steven as much as they liked Duff, they would have found a way to work around all of the other issues. 

So in the end, it's less about Steven being a drug addict and more about him not navigating band politics well which led to his firing.

Well he almost killed Axl's wife, so that didn't help his standing in the band. But if they didn't like him as much as Duff, isn't that at some point kind of on Adler? Because the guy comes off as pretty obnoxious. He can't keep his mouth shut, and he's always blaming someone for whatever he's not happy about at the time. 

18 minutes ago, Modano09 said:

Well he almost killed Axl's wife, so that didn't help his standing in the band. But if they didn't like him as much as Duff, isn't that at some point kind of on Adler? Because the guy comes off as pretty obnoxious. He can't keep his mouth shut, and he's always blaming someone for whatever he's not happy about at the time. 

I think I read somewhere, like a lawsuit kind of thing, where it was stated that Erin ended up hospitalized because of her husband at the time, not Steven Adler. But hey, I could be mistaken :ph34r:

Steven looked and sounded awesome at farm aid , Duff went over to him to jam with him and get on the same tempo as bass and drums do in every great band, video doesn’t lie, Steven was playing with great skill and enthusiasm, and dare I say confidence( Gnr really needed to do more warm up shows like farm aid to keep everyone on the same page)

1 minute ago, tony adler said:

Steven looked and sounded awesome at farm aid , Duff went over to him to jam with him and get on the same tempo as bass and drums do in every great band, video doesn’t lie, Steven was playing with great skill and enthusiasm, and dare I say confidence( Gnr really needed to do more warm up shows like farm aid to keep everyone on the same page)

This is the same show he face planted no?

Watch the video closely, he stumbled and recovered nicely , I was nervous just watching, he played spot fucking on during that show and allegedly didn’t know ‘down on the farm’ but shit if he didn’t play it like it was old habit ( believe what u want but I know in my heart he was every part of the 5 that changed rock n roll forever) I build up , no use in tearing down bro

1 hour ago, RONIN said:

The answer is really much simpler. Axl and Slash didn't like him enough to keep him in the band. End of story.

This alone is sufficient to justify his absence and, yes, put an end to this story. Over here we had talk so much that they need to do the right thing and such but the thing is that we ignore, or pretend to ignore, that forcing the presence of someone you don´t want around or you just don´t like is not the right thing either.

And then we have some parrots that repeat over and over that "yes-man" thing and, again, IMO, they ignore the fact that it´s one thing to have different points of view, differents ideas or different attitudes but at the end all those differences converge to one point, to a single direction (probably that happened on the AFD) and it´s another completly diferent thing is have differences that push you to the personal issues and when that happens the right thing is move on and not to try to force situations just to please some hard-core fans.

I would love to have the AFD5 again but under one condition, that all they need to be in the same page, all of them.

6 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Adler's problems discussed emanate from Adler's drug addiction. 

Yes of course, but by just saying "they kicked him out due to addiction" you are deliberately obfuscating the issue so you can keep on whining about what hypocrites Slash and Duff were. Pathetic. 

51 minutes ago, Modano09 said:

This is the same show he face planted no?

He played great so what if he tripped. btw, if you watch that show closely you'll see Slash vomits  during Civil War. But he also played great so who cares. 

• Like 1

I'm sure Izzy was a little heartbroken- although in a completely different way then Adler was/is. Adler's heartbroken because he wants nothing more in life then to go back to the days of Appetite. Izzy stuck his neck out on Twitter and played hardball hoping that the fans and the media would revolt in his favor. But relatively few people gave a shit. The shows sold beautifully, they got great reviews and Slash, Axl and Duff made a ton of money and reclaimed their legacy, simultaneously negating any leverage that Izzy had in the beginning. That had to hurt a little.  That being said, I'm sure Izzy is over it at this point, unlike Adler. Izzy has created his own life he seems very satisfied with it.

• Like 4

almost seems like steven knows that no ones listening to him bitch anymore so hes dropping izzys name to get some attention. hey if it helps him sell more tickets to his next show, great, i like steve a lot, but the boat has sailed. the average soccer mom doesnt give a shit if him or izzy are there and it seems like thats the only thing that matters right now

• Like 1

Maybe, just maybe, they just doesn't want Adler around? 

You can't assume that just because a group of guys played together 30 years ago they want to do it again... Hell, there is a bunch of people I've played with for years that I wouldn't want to play with again. Axl, Slash and Duff not wanting to play with Adler doesn't make them assholes, they may just not want to be in a band with him again.

1 hour ago, youngswedishvinyl said:

You can't assume that just because a group of guys played together 30 years ago they want to do it again... Hell, there is a bunch of people I've played with for years that I wouldn't want to play with again. Axl, Slash and Duff not wanting to play with Adler doesn't make them assholes, they may just not want to be in a band with him again.

that is very possible. there are things we dont know about, which happened between them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, youngswedishvinyl said:

But they haven't ignored Adler. Axl had a chat with him for many hours in Vegas. Duff and Slash have colaborated with Adler. Slash son's band will be the opening act for Adler's shows. They never made a case against Adler in recent times. In fact Adler was a guest in a couple of shows. Even if they make a case against Adler. What about Izzy? They never explained the reason why neither Adler nor Izzy are part of the reunion as permanent members. In this band nobody is in a position to cast the first stone

4 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Yes of course, but by just saying "they kicked him out due to addiction" you are deliberately obfuscating the issue so you can keep on whining about what hypocrites Slash and Duff were. Pathetic. 

This is really one of your semantic exercises which you have created for yourself because nobody wants to discuss religion with you.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Padme said:

But they haven't ignored Adler. Axl had a chat with him for many hours in Vegas. Duff and Slash have colaborated with Adler. Slash son's band will be the opening act for Adler's shows. They never made a case against Adler in recent times. In fact Adler was a guest in a couple of shows. Even if they make a case against Adler. What about Izzy? They never explained the reason why neither Adler nor Izzy are part of the reunion as permanent members. In this band nobody is in a position to cast the first stone

Well I don't know either but being friends with someone and regularly playing with someone is two different things! They may just want to keep in contact with him as an old friend but not necessarily have him in the band. When Izzy left they didn't invite West Arkeen as a rhythm guitarist, they probably didn't want to be in a band with him either although they were good friends :)

34 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

This is really one of your semantic exercises which you have created for yourself because nobody wants to discuss religion with you.

No, it isn't just a semantic exercise. Don't pretend to be a moron. The ONLY way you can continue to claim that Slash and Duff were hypocrites when they kicked Steven out, is by claiming they did it because he was a drug addict. Your whole set-up doesn't work if you tell the whole story, that they did it because they couldn't depend upon him in the studio anymore (and other reasons like they becoming completely fed up with his inane personality). It's pathetic.

Just now, SoulMonster said:

No, it isn't just a semantic exercise. Don't pretend to be a moron. The ONLY way you can continue to claim that Slash and Duff were hypocrites when they kicked Steven out, is by claiming they did it because he was a drug addict. Your whole set-up doesn't work if you tell the whole story, that they did it because they couldn't depend upon him in the studio anymore (and other reasons like they becoming completely fed up with his inane personality). It's pathetic.

As I said, this is like blaming a crash on a drink-driver's driving skills and not the fact he was inebriated. 

2 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

As I said, this is like blaming a crash on a drink-driver's driving skills and not the fact he was inebriated. 

Haha, I just realized that you aren't just playing stupid - you really aren't getting it :lol:

Just now, SoulMonster said:

Haha, I just realized that you aren't just playing stupid - you really aren't getting it :lol:

I barely comprehend most of the drivel you sprout whether it pertains to religion, history or 1980s hair bands. 

13 minutes ago, youngswedishvinyl said:

Well I don't know either but being friends with someone and regularly playing with someone is two different things! They may just want to keep in contact with him as an old friend but not necessarily have him in the band. When Izzy left they didn't invite West Arkeen as a rhythm guitarist, they probably didn't want to be in a band with him either although they were good friends :)

But West Arkeen never was a band member. He just colaborated with them in a few songs. Adler and Izzy were band members. And in the case of Adler he got invited as guest. The question they never answered is why just guest instead of full time member in this case when GN'R decided to do a reunion. We can only guess. But we never got a straight answer. The same can be said about Izzy.

If there is a reunion tour and Izzy and Adler are not back as full time members. It is clear Axl, Slash and Duff don't want them. And we can make the case they don't need them. Fine, still fans have the right to wish otherwise. The 5 of them are alive. Yet they can't make a proper reunion?

Slash on firing Steven (interview from 1991 yet it is like he is talking directly to DieselDaisy...eerie): Anybody who thinks we just kicked him out is just somebody who doesn't know what the fuck they are talking about and doesn't know what went on. [...] All he lived for was sex, drugs, and rock & roll - in that order. Maybe drugs, sex, and rock & roll. Then it was drugs & rock and roll. Then it was just drugs.

It's like Steven couldn't even handle being an addict. While the rest of the band still functioned as musicians, Steven couldn't He fucked up even at being a druggie.

6 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Slash on firing Steven (interview from 1991 yet it is like he is talking directly to DieselDaisy...eerie): Anybody who thinks we just kicked him out is just somebody who doesn't know what the fuck they are talking about and doesn't know what went on. [...] All he lived for was sex, drugs, and rock & roll - in that order. Maybe drugs, sex, and rock & roll. Then it was drugs & rock and roll. Then it was just drugs.

It's like Steven couldn't even handle being an addict. While the rest of the band still functioned as musicians, Steven couldn't He fucked up even at being a druggie.

How is being clinically dead on multiple occasions, or running around a resort naked while being chased by devils, or having your inner organs explode, ''functioning as a musician'', ''handling an addiction''? It is merely a quirk of history that all five members of GN'R are alive. You consider yourself a historian of this band, so you should know that McKagan admitted to fluffing basslines during the Illusion tour in his autobiography. 

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

Here's Slash talking about firing Steven (interview from 1991): See, [Steven] never quite made it to that growing up period that the rest of us went through. [...] I didn't want to go into the studio because his playing was just so far off. He'll argue with me even now and say, "I played great." But he didn't, he couldn't. The guy was nodding out all over the place. That went on for a couple of moths, and then I cancelled the studio time because it was a waste of money. So the only song on the album that Steven played on is "Civil War." He thought he was great, but we had to edit the drum track like mad just so we could play along with it. Even then, I had to remember where the drum mistakes were to keep the guitar in time with them.

Edited by SoulMonster