Fall Out Boy: Guns N' Roses Should Record Their New Album With Skrillex or Knife Party

14 minutes ago, Silverburst80 said:

I've read people would like to see that collaboration but i'd rather they worked with Ministry/Al Jourgensen it seems to fit better to me. I could imagine Axl singing something like Jesus Built My Hot-Rod or Just One Fix and it wouldn't be a stretch Slash playing on something like that.

I agree. A collaboration with an industrial artist would make more sense. Trent Reznor would be cool but Al Jourgensen would be intense. Imagine Axl and Al doing So What. I saw Ministry at Harpos in Detroit about 10 years ago, Al is fucking INTENSE. Watched him kick at a fan who was heckling him lol. He missed...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

Doesn't Reznor dislike Axl? I thought I had read that somewhere but it was most likely a decade ago, if not longer, so he probably feels differently now.

Well, Robin left NIN for GN'R, but has returned to NIN. I don't think he hates him. When NIN opened for GN'R back in the 90s, they got along.

I'd love to see them collaborate 

31 minutes ago, RJ88 said:

Well, Robin left NIN for GN'R, but has returned to NIN. I don't think he hates him. When NIN opened for GN'R back in the 90s, they got along.

I'd love to see them collaborate 

Did they really? I heard the gnr crowds didn't take a liking to NIN, but that's cool to hear that the band at least treated them nicely.

9 hours ago, Blackstar said:

I'm sure @ludurigan would be the first to grab it. :P

sure, I been listening to everything that the GNR guys do, just everything, for the last three decades. every izzy album (love them all). every slash album (too bad myles and rod jackson are unlistenable) and every slash guest appearance. every duff, loaded, neurotic outsiders album (ok, i missed some of the more recent stuff that duff has been involved with like walking papers cause thats so boring). every album that steven played drums on. and obviously everything axl done, including his unlistenable clean voice solo album and his unlistenable clean voice live shows since 2001

That doesnt mean that I like everything that they do

===

you know what? axl rose is the biggest wasted talent in the music history.

from 1985 to 1991, he could sing better than any other human being on the planet

he could sing rolling stones better than mick jagger and acdc better than bon scott

he could sing aerosmith better than steven tyler and tom petty better than tom petty

and, one minute later, with petty by his side, and the world watching, he would sing elvis better than elvis for good measure

oh, and he was in a band that could play the stones better than the stones, acdc better than acdc etc etc etc, and not only that, this band (him included) wrote songs that are better than all these bands put together

i always joke that if david geffen had any real vision he would have talked guns n roses into recording 1 or 2 cover songs per week during the entire time GNR was under geffens contract.

like, "hey axl, choose 2 songs for this week". "hey izzy, next week you pick two songs, ok"?

that would give us like a couple hundred songs or more today played by the best band ever at the very top of their game and sung by the best singer ever

it would have helped a lot in the last 28 years

===

now, in 2018, i suppose axl should record slow, dramatic, half acoustic, low-voice songs

izzy, slash and duff can write them in a heartbeat

axl can help if he decides to be in the same room

Edited by ludurigan
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, ludurigan said:

sure, I been listening to everything that the GNR guys do, just everything, for the last three decades. every izzy album (love them all). every slash album (too bad myles and rod jackson are unlistenable) and every slash guest appearance. every duff, loaded, neurotic outsiders album (ok, i missed some of the more recent stuff that duff has been involved with like walking papers cause thats so boring). 

Gotta make a case for Walking Papers here - not just for you, but for anyone reading who is looking for a great new rock album.  

I'm the first to say that Duff's previous efforts amounted to one giant yawn fest but WP2?  Unbelievably awesome.  Duff has done his best work on WP2 since his early GNR days, and actually, I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's the best bass work he's ever done.  There are bass lines on that album that are so good, I could cry.   Jeff Angell's lyrics are pure joy; very Izzy-centric, witty and brooding (also? he's a bloody good guitarist, which I never knew before now). The drumming, which I don't normally have an ear for, is outstanding.  I'm actually surprised and disappointed that Duff has done virtually nothing to promote this album and nothing to help tour it.  Not happy with him at all, the lazy git.

Give Walking Papers' second album a listen.  If you like the more Izzyesque songs on Illusions, particularly Dust n Bones, you'll like WP2 - the tone of the album is very much in that style.

Anyway, that's my WP plug done. :lol:

First song on the album is a good place to start:

And this is like a Western ballad, got a Breaking Bad vibe about it.   Love the drumming in this as much as the bass.

Edited by MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle
  • GNFNR 1

Yeah. No😂 

Almost everytime theres a hybrid like that it's a bunch of shite. Anyone remember Chris Cornell's Scream album.

Two options for a new guns record. 1. Release what's already done and drop Slash in over the top to play some solos and beef up some riffs.

2. Make a brand new all out rock record. 

People don't want to hear dubstep gnr. Plus Korn have already done that whole idea.

I think CD II would be experimental enough on its own and it wouldn't require paying another high profile producer to "fix" everything.

Unfortunately the indicators point to a hiatus rather than a new album. Bit an indefinite hiatus though.

2 hours ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

Gotta make a case for Walking Papers here - not just for you, but for anyone reading who is looking for a great new rock album.  

I'm the first to say that Duff's previous efforts amounted to one giant yawn fest but WP2?  Unbelievably awesome.  Duff has done his best work on WP2 since his early GNR days, and actually, I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's the best bass work he's ever done.  There are bass lines on that album that are so good, I could cry.   Jeff Angell's lyrics are pure joy; very Izzy-centric, witty and brooding (also? he's a bloody good guitarist, which I never knew before now). The drumming, which I don't normally have an ear for, is outstanding.  I'm actually surprised and disappointed that Duff has done virtually nothing to promote this album and nothing to help tour it.  Not happy with him at all, the lazy git.

Give Walking Papers' second album a listen.  If you like the more Izzyesque songs on Illusions, particularly Dust n Bones, you'll like WP2 - the tone of the album is very much in that style.

Anyway, that's my WP plug done. :lol:

First song on the album is a good place to start:

And this is like a Western ballad, got a Breaking Bad vibe about it.   Love the drumming in this as much as the bass.

you are right, that first song is nice

the bass intro pan-pan-pan reminds me of a Loaded song, maybe more than one, don't know which one...

What I assume most of you don’t know is that Skrillex (Sonny Moore) was originally known for being in the band “From First To Last”. He has a background in a wide variety of genres, and the reason Pete is bringing this idea to table is because he believes someone like Skrillex could help modernize GNR’s music a little bit, and help push it to new levels, while still staying true to the roots of the music. It’s not like these guys just want to take a band’s music and just literally make it dub-pop or EDM. 

This discussion is also pointless because NEW MUSIC LOL

On 14/4/2018 at 4:36 AM, ludurigan said:

sure, I been listening to everything that the GNR guys do, just everything, for the last three decades. every izzy album (love them all). every slash album (too bad myles and rod jackson are unlistenable) and every slash guest appearance. every duff, loaded, neurotic outsiders album (ok, i missed some of the more recent stuff that duff has been involved with like walking papers cause thats so boring). every album that steven played drums on. and obviously everything axl done, including his unlistenable clean voice solo album and his unlistenable clean voice live shows since 2001

That doesnt mean that I like everything that they do

===

you know what? axl rose is the biggest wasted talent in the music history.

from 1985 to 1991, he could sing better than any other human being on the planet

he could sing rolling stones better than mick jagger and acdc better than bon scott

he could sing aerosmith better than steven tyler and tom petty better than tom petty

and, one minute later, with petty by his side, and the world watching, he would sing elvis better than elvis for good measure

oh, and he was in a band that could play the stones better than the stones, acdc better than acdc etc etc etc, and not only that, this band (him included) wrote songs that are better than all these bands put together

i always joke that if david geffen had any real vision he would have talked guns n roses into recording 1 or 2 cover songs per week during the entire time GNR was under geffens contract.

like, "hey axl, choose 2 songs for this week". "hey izzy, next week you pick two songs, ok"?

that would give us like a couple hundred songs or more today played by the best band ever at the very top of their game and sung by the best singer ever

it would have helped a lot in the last 28 years

===

now, in 2018, i suppose axl should record slow, dramatic, half acoustic, low-voice songs

izzy, slash and duff can write them in a heartbeat

axl can help if he decides to be in the same room

I just love this damn post, because I so agree with this.

With the exception of the walking papers. Love that album

Edited by Georgina Arriaga

13 hours ago, Georgina Arriaga said:

I just love this damn post, because I so agree with this.

With the exception of the walking papers. Love that album

haha nice

and since nothing indicates that axl, izzy and slash will ever write songs together again (much less with duff and steven), i just really hope that someone recorded GNR in 1985-1991 rehearsing, jamming, writing songs etc etc etc

and i truly, truly hope that these recordings can surface sooner than later

so we all can agree once more on how good those fuckers were!

(and still are, if you ask me, except, of course for axl unlistenable clean voice, that, thankfully, we all know now that is not the only type of voice he has left!)

If they make a new album, and that's a big if, and they don't have Izzy onboard, and they don't succumb to the pressure from the critics/fanboys/Slash to do a retro AFD style cock rock album - I think updating the sound by talking to the producers behind bands like The Arctic Monkeys and Imagine Dragons would be a more interesting direction than Skrillex imho. 

But the above scenario should really only be attempted after they give us a real fucking GnR album imho. Give us Use Your Illusion 3 w/ Izzy. In a perfect scenario I'd love to have several albums of "classic" Illusion style material with a strong Izzy influence to tone down the Rose/Slash wankery - basically what we should have gotten in the 90's. Then if they're still interested in making music, sure, go in a more experimental direction. But who are we kidding, none of this will ever happen....:lol:

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 9:16 PM, highvoltage said:

Skrillex already sort of did this with remaining members of The Doors... it's pretty bad.

I only listened to random 5 seconds clips throughout that.  All I have to say is WTF did I just listen to.  I'd rather hear AFD re-recorded in "Mickey Voice" with Frank on Drums and Melissa playing the lead guitar on synth than have anything sounding like that!

"As a massive Guns N' Roses fan, Fall Out Boy bassist Pete Wentz was asked by Music Feeds for his take on how the band should approach a hypothetical new album...."

All these articles are such nonsense - since when was he a 'massive Guns N Roses fan'? Never heard any mention of that before, or any evidence of that such as, you know, attending shows........

I'm sure he's not a bad guy, and it's not him saying this,  but come on! 

Obviously the idea of Skrillex going anywhere near a GNR track is horrendous. 

Let's be honest here, if we ever get a new GN'R record it would probably be some really horrible combination of the worst of Slash's bland modern rock tendencies, and the worst of Axl's balladry. It would be a compromise, safe record, with little real bite or danger to it. GN'R by numbers. Basically, go listen to Steel Wheels, that's what a new GN'R album would sound like - something like that. You have a bunch of guys who are closer to 60 than 50. You're not going to get an AFD II - that would be plumb embarrassing at their age. I don't think Axl has any more Estranged or November Rain type epics in him - he's not a young guy with fire in his belly. Slash isn't either. I dread new GN'R material because it wouldn't be coming from an organic, back against the wall place.

AFD and the UYIs were great because they were written and recorded under a mountain of pressure - AFD was the band desperately wanting to be the biggest in the world - they were all 100% dedicated toward this one goal - the UYIs were the band against the wall now not only dealing with the ramifications of being the biggest band in the world, but struggling to keep the whole thing together. There's no such conflict or tension to make a new album interesting.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Fashionista said:

Let's be honest here, if we ever get a new GN'R record it would probably be some really horrible combination of the worst of Slash's bland modern rock tendencies, and the worst of Axl's balladry. It would be a compromise, safe record, with little real bite or danger to it. GN'R by numbers. Basically, go listen to Steel Wheels, that's what a new GN'R album would sound like - something like that. You have a bunch of guys who are closer to 60 than 50. You're not going to get an AFD II - that would be plumb embarrassing at their age. I don't think Axl has any more Estranged or November Rain type epics in him - he's not a young guy with fire in his belly. Slash isn't either. I dread new GN'R material because it wouldn't be coming from an organic, back against the wall place.

AFD and the UYIs were great because they were written and recorded under a mountain of pressure - AFD was the band desperately wanting to be the biggest in the world - they were all 100% dedicated toward this one goal - the UYIs were the band against the wall now not only dealing with the ramifications of being the biggest band in the world, but struggling to keep the whole thing together. There's no such conflict or tension to make a new album interesting.

great post