Fall Out Boy: Guns N' Roses Should Record Their New Album With Skrillex or Knife Party

On 13.4.2018 at 7:08 PM, Silent Jay said:

Robin Finck was and still is underused in Nine Inch Nails. Current electronic music is overrated. It won't stand the test of time.

Nine Inch Nails was actually the best industrial band in the late 90's. I consider The Downward Spiral and The Fragile as timeless masterpieces. But yeah, Robin is too good for NIN. He should be in melodic bands like GN'R

Edited by Sosso
  • Like 1

On 4/13/2018 at 9:33 PM, rocknroll41 said:

Did they really? I heard the gnr crowds didn't take a liking to NIN, but that's cool to hear that the band at least treated them nicely.

On a podcast I listen to, one of GN'R's old engineers from back in the 80s/90s is on it and he talked about when NIN opened for GN'R back during the UYI tour for a handful of shows. You are correct that the crowd did not really like them (that's coming from Trent) but the engineer talks about how Axl was a huge NIN fan and there was no bad blood between them. Mind you, that was then...anything could have happened in the following years. But when they toured together, everything seemed good between them

On 4/16/2018 at 4:12 PM, Fashionista said:

Let's be honest here, if we ever get a new GN'R record it would probably be some really horrible combination of the worst of Slash's bland modern rock tendencies, and the worst of Axl's balladry. It would be a compromise, safe record, with little real bite or danger to it. GN'R by numbers. Basically, go listen to Steel Wheels, that's what a new GN'R album would sound like - something like that. You have a bunch of guys who are closer to 60 than 50. You're not going to get an AFD II - that would be plumb embarrassing at their age. I don't think Axl has any more Estranged or November Rain type epics in him - he's not a young guy with fire in his belly. Slash isn't either. I dread new GN'R material because it wouldn't be coming from an organic, back against the wall place.

AFD and the UYIs were great because they were written and recorded under a mountain of pressure - AFD was the band desperately wanting to be the biggest in the world - they were all 100% dedicated toward this one goal - the UYIs were the band against the wall now not only dealing with the ramifications of being the biggest band in the world, but struggling to keep the whole thing together. There's no such conflict or tension to make a new album interesting.

Nah... that's a myth that fans and journalists like to throw out there... right up until a band or artist 30/40/50 years comes out with a cracker of a record and then there's no mention of "their rich, their old" etc. yes hunger and youth have a role to play, but once you turn 40/50/60 etc. that doesn't mean you forget how to write a song... if that's the case explain Bowie, Johnny cash, Paul McCartney, Toto, Robert Plant and many, many more old(er) rich and famous bands and artists that still put out good music in their old age. 

My point is that there are MANY motivations behind making music, and just because you're initial reason when you were 20 was this that or the other - it doesn't mean that maturity and wealth stops you from growing and developing as an artist and gaining new motivations. Some people just love the satisfaction of writing a better song than the last one they wrote.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Nah... that's a myth that fans and journalists like to throw out there... right up until a band or artist 30/40/50 years comes out with a cracker of a record and then there's no mention of "their rich, their old" etc. yes hunger and youth have a role to play, but once you turn 40/50/60 etc. that doesn't mean you forget how to write a song... if that's the case explain Bowie, Johnny cash, Paul McCartney, Toto, Robert Plant and many, many more old(er) rich and famous bands and artists that still put out good music in their old age. 

My point is that there are MANY motivations behind making music, and just because you're initial reason when you were 20 was this that or the other - it doesn't mean that maturity and wealth stops you from growing and developing as an artist and gaining new motivations. Some people just love the satisfaction of writing a better song than the last one they wrote.

Good points.

my doubt is if this is Axl’s case...

On 16.4.2018 at 6:12 PM, Fashionista said:

Let's be honest here, if we ever get a new GN'R record it would probably be some really horrible combination of the worst of Slash's bland modern rock tendencies, and the worst of Axl's balladry. It would be a compromise, safe record, with little real bite or danger to it. GN'R by numbers. Basically, go listen to Steel Wheels, that's what a new GN'R album would sound like - something like that. You have a bunch of guys who are closer to 60 than 50. You're not going to get an AFD II - that would be plumb embarrassing at their age. I don't think Axl has any more Estranged or November Rain type epics in him - he's not a young guy with fire in his belly. Slash isn't either. I dread new GN'R material because it wouldn't be coming from an organic, back against the wall place.

AFD and the UYIs were great because they were written and recorded under a mountain of pressure - AFD was the band desperately wanting to be the biggest in the world - they were all 100% dedicated toward this one goal - the UYIs were the band against the wall now not only dealing with the ramifications of being the biggest band in the world, but struggling to keep the whole thing together. There's no such conflict or tension to make a new album interesting.

I actually followed your suggestion and listened to some Steel Wheels. I don't know if I listened to the right band though, cause it sounded like some country/rock. There's no way in hell GNR are ever gonna sound like that. Other than that I do get your point. I do understand people's concerns. But if there's something to be concerned about, it's that the music's gonna sound too modern. It might sound too much like Chinese Democracy to many fans. That's probably the most realistic concern right now.

Of course I would personally be happy with a record like Chinese Democracy cause I loved that record. But I do hope that Slash and Duff bring a little bit of raw, bluesy grittiness to the sound. All in all I think that the most realistic scenario is that they'll release an album that consists mostly of Chinese Democracy era songs written by Axl. Of course Slash and Duff will replace Buckethead, Bumblefoot and Tommy. They'll probably write a couple of brand new tunes for the album, but it won't be AFD II, it will most likely resemble CD II much more. But it most likely won't sound anything like Steel Wheels. It's gonna be much more epic and orchestrated. If you want foreteste of what the next GNR album will most likely sound like, listen to these:

you know what?, i think that's actually a pretty good idea..

HOWEVER.. they could even do a two album set where it's new gnr material where it's the current band, and then release a second album that's collaborated with someone else of the like of reznor or skrillex.. i think it would be interesting. it's like you're still pleasing people who love real gnr rock, and on the other hand you will have a album that could potentially push boundaries.. 

I don't see a new album. 

But if they did release one, the average fan on the street will want at least one radio hit for the album to hit the mainstream. 

Whether guns give a rats arse (I doubt it) is another thing. 

The point I'm making, is there is more to lose than gain at this point by releasing a new album, especially with this line up that is still seen by a percentage of the fan base as not the line up they want (again I doubt Axl or the big 3 give a rats). 

Either way, if an album was a priority, we'd have gotten a snif of it by now. It's obvious they have side ventures as priorities so the whole conversation is pointless until something happens otherwise!