US, British and French Forces Launch Air Strikes on Syria

BlueJean Baby

The Latest: Syria’s capital rocked by loud explosions

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Latest on U.S.-led missile strikes on Syria (all times local):

9:20 p.m.

Syria’s capital has been rocked by loud explosions that lit up the sky with heavy smoke as U.S. President Donald Trump announced airstrikes in retaliation for the country’s alleged use of chemical weapons.

Associated Press reporters in Damascus saw smoke rising from east Damascus early Saturday morning local time. Syrian state TV says the attack has begun on the capital, though it wasn’t immediately clear what was targeted.

Trump announced Friday night that the U.S., France and Britain have launched military strikes in Syria to punish President Bashar Assad for his alleged use of chemical weapons against civilians and to deter him from doing it again.

__

9:15 p.m.

President Donald Trump is warning Russia and Iran about their association with Syrian strongman Bashar al-Assad’s government, as he announces the launch of retaliatory strikes after an apparent chemical weapons attack last week.

Speaking from the White House, Trump says, “To Iran and to Russia, I ask: What kind of a nation wants to be associated with the mass murder of innocent men, women and children?”

Trump calls the two countries those “most responsible for supporting, equipping and financing the criminal Assad regime.”

Trump says, “The nations of the world can be judged by the friends they keep.”

He adds ominously, “Hopefully someday we’ll get along with Russia, and maybe even Iran, but maybe not.”

Congressional Democrats who served in the U.S. Armed Forces are calling on President Trump to stop using Twitter to announce national security decisions, particularly in Syria. (April 13)

__

9:10 p.m.

President Donald Trump is asking for a “prayer for our noble warriors” as he concludes his remarks announcing strikes on targets associated with the Syrian chemical weapons program.

Trump announced the strikes, in coordination with France and Britain, from the White House Friday night. He said the three nations have “marshaled their righteous power.”

Trump is also offering prayers for the Middle East and for the United States.

__

9:05 p.m.

President Donald Trump says he is “prepared to sustain” strikes against Syria until the use of chemical agents stops.

The United States, along with assurance from France and the United Kingdom, launched a response Friday against the regime of Syrian leader Bashar al-Assad days after his government allegedly used chemical weapons on its citizens.

But Trump says America does not seek “an indefinite presence” in Syria and will look to pull out its troops once the Islamic State is totally defeated.

Trump has signaled in recent weeks that, despite advice from his national security team, he wanted to accelerate the timetable of the withdrawal of American forces.

__

9 p.m.

President Donald Trump says the United States has “launched precision strikes” on targets associated with Syrian chemical weapons program.

Trump spoke from the White House Friday night. He says a “combined operation” with France and the United Kingdom is underway.

Trump says that last Saturday, Syrian President Bashar Assad deployed chemical weapons in what was a “significant escalation in a pattern of chemical weapons use by that very terrible regime.”

__

8:55 p.m.

President Donald Trump is set to address the nation Friday night amid anticipation of a retaliatory strike for an apparent Syrian chemical weapon attack last week.

That’s according to a source familiar with the president’s plans, who was not authorized to speak publicly.

Trump has said he will hold the Syrian government, as well as its Russian and Iranian allies, accountable for the suspected attack.

White House spokesman Raj Shah said Friday afternoon that Trump “is going to hold the Syrian government accountable. He’s also going to hold the Russians and the Iranians who are propping up this regime responsible.”

___

5 p.m.

The U.S. Navy was moving an additional Tomahawk missile-armed ship within striking range of Syria as President Donald Trump and his national security aides mulled the scope and timing of an expected military assault in retaliation for a suspected poison gas attack.

Trump’s U.N. ambassador, Nikki Haley, said the president had not yet made a final decision, two days after he tweeted that Russia should “get ready” because a missile attack “will be coming” at Moscow’s chief Middle East ally.

The presence of Russian troops and air defenses in Syria were among numerous complications weighing on Trump, who must also consider the dangers to roughly 2,000 American troops in the country if Russia were to retaliate for U.S. strikes.

All contents © copyright 2018 Associated Press. All rights reserved.

1 hour ago, Axl_morris said:

Why didn't we bomb Russia for using chemical weapons in Salisbury?

Or North Korea when nerve agent was used in an Indonesian airport.

Cuz they'll fight back...and we don't like that :lol:  Proxy wars are better, whats easier, fighting the big bully or slapping up his little mate and hoping the bully don't meet you at the park? :lol:

Edited by Len Cnut
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Axl_morris said:

Why didn't we bomb Russia for using chemical weapons in Salisbury?

Or North Korea when nerve agent was used in an Indonesian airport.

Because these were small, isolated attacks directed at political opponents and not whole villages with women and children?

The US/ GB/ France strikes are just PR moves and will accomplish nothing IMHO....it is a temporary distraction for Trump from the Mueller investigation closing in on him and gives him a chance to show how tough he is and thump his chest.........

The real winner in the whole situatoins is not even alive today and we should not lose sight of why we are where we are today.....Osama Bin Laden must be smiling up in Jannah, hanging with his 72 virgins, about how he sucked the U.S. into a endless wars in the Middle East which is sucking the life out of our economy and dividing our country.

This is an interesting interview with one of his sons in RS magazine back in 2010 which gives us insight into Bin Laden's goals. I cherry picked some of his observations about his fathers thoughts, which are dead on, but the whole article was pretty fascinating IMHO.

It was my father who made Russia poor, in the war in Afghanistan. He ruined their economy. He is doing the same thing to America right now."

I ask Omar what he thinks of Barack Obama. He says the president seems like a very refined man — intelligent, widely read, capable. But he is certain Obama is on the verge of committing a massive error by sending more troops into Afghanistan. "Obama should ask for my advice about Afghanistan," he says. "I could help. But I have to see him personally. I would tell him you can't solve Afghanistan's problems with more soldiers. It is like adding water to sand, as we say in the Arab world — it only makes the sand heavier and messier. If I was in his position, the first thing I would do is make a truce. Then for six months or one year, no fighting, no soldiers. Afghanistan can never be won. It has nothing to do with my father. It is the Afghan people."

"I was still in Afghanistan when Bush was elected," he continues. "My father was so happy. This is the kind of president he needs — one who will attack and spend money and break the country. Even Bush's own mother says he is the biggest idiot boy of his family. I am sure my father wanted McCain more than Obama. McCain has the same mentality as Bush. My father would be disappointed because Obama get the position."

"Do you think Obama can win in Afghanistan?"

"Out of what you see," Omar asks, "what do you think?"

"Will there be more attacks?" I ask, "I don't think so," Omar says. "He doesn't need to. As soon as America went to Afghanistan, his plan worked. He has already won." As Omar sees things, his father had destroyed the Soviet empire. Now, nearly a decade after 9/11, his father's vision for an America of economic ruin and a soul-sapping war in Afghanistan has come to pass. As far as Omar is concerned, his father has brought ruin to two empires. 

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/osamas-prodigal-son-20100120 

7 minutes ago, classicrawker said:

The US/ GB/ France strikes are just PR moves and will accomplish nothing IMHO....it is a temporary distraction for Trump from the Mueller investigation closing in on him and gives him a chance to show how tough he is and thump his chest.........

The real winner in the whole situatoins is not even alive today and we should not lose sight of why we are where we are today.....Osama Bin Laden must be smiling up in Jannah, hanging with his 72 virgins, about how he sucked the U.S. into a endless wars in the Middle East which is sucking the life out of our economy and dividing our country.

This is an interesting interview with one of his sons in RS magazine back in 2010 which gives us insight into Bin Laden's goals. I cherry picked some of his observations about his fathers thoughts, which are dead on, but the whole article was pretty fascinating IMHO.

It was my father who made Russia poor, in the war in Afghanistan. He ruined their economy. He is doing the same thing to America right now."

I ask Omar what he thinks of Barack Obama. He says the president seems like a very refined man — intelligent, widely read, capable. But he is certain Obama is on the verge of committing a massive error by sending more troops into Afghanistan. "Obama should ask for my advice about Afghanistan," he says. "I could help. But I have to see him personally. I would tell him you can't solve Afghanistan's problems with more soldiers. It is like adding water to sand, as we say in the Arab world — it only makes the sand heavier and messier. If I was in his position, the first thing I would do is make a truce. Then for six months or one year, no fighting, no soldiers. Afghanistan can never be won. It has nothing to do with my father. It is the Afghan people."

"I was still in Afghanistan when Bush was elected," he continues. "My father was so happy. This is the kind of president he needs — one who will attack and spend money and break the country. Even Bush's own mother says he is the biggest idiot boy of his family. I am sure my father wanted McCain more than Obama. McCain has the same mentality as Bush. My father would be disappointed because Obama get the position."

"Will there be more attacks?" I ask, "I don't think so," Omar says. "He doesn't need to. As soon as America went to Afghanistan, his plan worked. He has already won." As Omar sees things, his father had destroyed the Soviet empire. Now, nearly a decade after 9/11, his father's vision for an America of economic ruin and a soul-sapping war in Afghanistan has come to pass. As far as Omar is concerned, his father has brought ruin to two empires. 

How the fuck was Rolling Stone interviewing his son?!? :lol:  Surely they'd be in a deprivation chamber somewhere!  On a side note, you can never win in Afghanistan, no one can.  The only way to beat Afghans is to wipe them out and create a whole new society there, bring an Adam and an Eve in.

Edited by Len Cnut

I'm certainly not defending Assad but you can rather see how Muslim countries think there is a western global conspiracy against them: Afghanistan, Iraq, now Syria. Even the disgusting Blair creature had the audacity show his face, providing justification for the airstrikes!  

• Like 3

Well, it's a start, but Assad will just find another way to make his people suffer.

The world has to make a decision to take this guy out and put in a new regime.

I thought Russia was going to shoot down any missiles. Guess Putin is all talk. He picked the wrong side because Putin is just as evil as Assad.

Watch the footage of what the gas does to people, especially children and then maybe some of you will change your mind on how to deal with this crazy monster.

13 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

They do all kinds of things. Many things. Here's one; they use irradiated bullets(unnecessarily) so much in Iraq that now children born there have birth defects. America doesn't give a fuck about kids, not really.

I see a difference between using ammunition based on depleted uranium in warfare against military target that MAY affect civilians, and the deliberate attack on civilians with chemical weapons. Not that I approve of either, and not that I am a fan of US intervention in the Middle East. I just can't equal Assad with USA. 

I also don't see how we can sit idle by while civilians are subjected to mass murder. Not that I automatically defend the attacks by USA, England or France. Just that something has to be done. I certainly will not condemn these attacks just because USA has done bad before. 

47 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

I see a difference between using ammunition based on depleted uranium in warfare against military target that MAY affect civilians, and the deliberate attack on civilians with chemical weapons. Not that I approve of either, and not that I am a fan of US intervention in the Middle East. I just can't equal Assad with USA. 

I also don't see how we can sit idle by while civilians are subjected to mass murder. Not that I automatically defend the attacks by USA, England or France. Just that something has to be done. I certainly will not condemn these attacks just because USA has done bad before. 

The world sits by every day while, not only are civilians  murdered but also,  millions starve to death every year..........trust me I am no fan of Assad but let's not pretend he is the only bad guy in the world.......nobody would give a shit about what is going on in Syria if it was not for the oil........

Edited by classicrawker
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

If you unnecessarily dump a lot of radioactive material across an entire country and then shrug it off "lololol woopsie, we thought it MAY affect civilians..." Bullshit. Regardless, it fucking has, are you going to help them? "...we thought it MAY affect them, so, fuck no we're not helping them." NOT GOOD ENOUGH. The argument could be made that America is actually worse tbh. Russia bad, America bad, New Zealand bad, Australia bad etc. What I can't stand is people whipping up hysterics and fear mongering and war mongering because they want to feel like the good guys.

And that's just one example. Napalm. Nuking Japan. The list goes on and I'm not going to recite it.

Do we actually even know who did the attack and whether it was a deliberate attack on civilians? I heard on the news the other day that France apparently has proof, what is their proof? Because I don't just immediately believe everything I hear on TV.

"Something has to be done." Yeah but I don't think hypocritical morals and values and waging war should be it.

"I also don't see how we can sit by while civilians are subjected to mass murder." Me either but we do it all the time with Africa. We do it all the time with a lot of places. Why is this any different? Here's me taking a stab in the dark at figuring it out:
"Syria is the only significant crude oil producing country in the Eastern Mediterranean region, which includes Jordan, Lebanon, Israel and the Palestinian territories. According to the Oil and Gas Journal, Syria had 2,500,000,000 barrels (400,000,000 m3) of petroleum reserves as of 1 January 2010."

What is Syria's main export?
The bulk of Syrian imports have been raw materials essential for industry, agriculture, equipment, and machinery. Major exports include crude oil, refined products, raw cotton, clothing, fruits, and cereal grains.

The plot thickens. USA, UK and France all have interests in oil. They also have an interest in preventing Russia's interests one of which is oil. Also, Military Industrial Complex. It really doesn't take a genius to see through this kind of shit.

These kind of situations are about money and power.

You seriously don't see any difference between nations that go through extraordinary, very expensive measures using smart weapons to specifically target military targets, in order to minimize civilian casualties vs. nations that have no regard for civilian casualties....or worse yet, specifically target civilian targets by the use of chemical weapons?  

By your logic, the U.S. and its allies might as well use nuclear weapons, since there's no difference between what we do vs. what Assad does.

1 hour ago, classicrawker said:

The world sits by every day while, not only are civilians  murdered but also,  millions starve to death every year..........trust me I am no fan of Assad but let's not pretend he is the only bad guy in the world.......nobody would give a shit about what is going on in Syria if it was not for the oil........

That could be the main reason Russia has interest in Syria...in order to maintain a presence in the region, etc.  But the theory that the U.S. is interested in the region just for oil, including Iraq, is a myth.  The vast majority of the oil contracts from Iraq went to China...some even to Russia.

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/nation-world/world/article24747388.html

The region (Iraq, Syria), generally speaking, is too unstable for U.S. oil companies.  They'd rather get their oil from other, more stable regions, that would not affect their stock prices if something went wrong.  That's why China ended up with most of the oil. (They don't have to answer to shareholders if something "goes wrong" in the region).  Same exact thing would go for Syria. 

Edited by Kasanova King

9 hours ago, classicrawker said:

Since you think Osama Bin Laden's thoughts are "dead on" you think that Osama Bin Laden crippled Russia and ended the cold war? :lol:

44 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

"Something has to be done." Yeah but I don't think hypocritical morals and values and waging war should be it." - Oldest Goat

Did you seriously read this^^^ and think my god...by his logic we may as well wage nuclear war? I didn't say I see no difference, better the devil you know after all. But I like Americans and I don't think you're all bad. When I said I can't stand people wanting to pretend to simply be the good guys, it goes both ways, I can't stand people wanting to pretend people are simply the bad guys(whether that's America or Russia or whoever). Logic, reason, compassion is what we should strive for. We are not in a movie for fucks sake. But you're going to use the drone program of all things for the moral highground...seriously? lol. :facepalm:

This is what I'm talking about. You want to be the good guy. "extraordinary, very expensive measures using smart weapons to specifically target military targets, in order to minimize civilian casualties". You don't understand the Military Industrial Complex. People make money from that shit, the only people who lose it are tax payers and your/my overlords don't give a fuck about the tax payers lol.

I wasn't specifically referring to the drone program as a moral high ground.  I was referring to smart weapons in general and targeting military targets vs targeting civilians.  The drone program is far from perfect and hopefully in time, the "bad elements" within it will be corrected.

26 minutes ago, Kasanova King said:

Since you think Osama Bin Laden's thoughts are "dead on" you think that Osama Bin Laden crippled Russia and ended the cold war? :lol:

No, I think his son was dead on with his comments about his father's intent  which was to bait the U.S. into conflict in the Middle East and waste our resources on unwinable wars and he succeded....we need to get out of the Middle East as there is no happy ending there.....these wars are bleeding us from within.......and anyone who thinks ISIS will ever be defeated is being naive...........

3 minutes ago, classicrawker said:

No, I think his son was dead on with his comments about his father's intent  which was to bait the U.S. into conflict in the Middle East and waste our resources on unwinable wars and he succeded....we need to get out of the Middle East as there is no happy ending there.....these wars are bleeding us from within.......and anyone who thinks ISIS will ever be defeated is being naive...........

I think that's his son trying to make his dad look like a martyr who brought down Russia and tried to bring down the U.S.  But from every interview I've read, the main reason Bin Laden declared a "Jihad" against the West is because of the presence of US military bases in the region and the US's support of Israel.  He wanted Western presence out of the area.

"Bin Laden's stated motivations of the September 11 attacks include the support of Israel by the United States, the presence of the U.S. military in the Saudi Arabian borders, which he considered to be sacred Islamic territory, and the U.S. enforcement of sanctions against Iraq. Bin Laden had a complicated relationship with the United States, as he was supported by the U.S. in the Soviet-Afghan war. However, he first called for jihad against the United States in 1996. This call solely focused on U.S. troops in Saudi Arabia; bin Laden loathed their presence and wanted them removed in a "rain of bullets"[24]

Bin Laden's hatred and disdain for the U.S. were also manifested while he lived in Sudan. There he told Al-Qaeda fighters-in-training:[25]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beliefs_and_ideology_of_Osama_bin_Laden

His son also said that if his father was ever captured or killed, that things would be much worse....which obviously has not been the case.

As far as ISIS goes, they have been defeated in Iraq. 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/oct/21/isis-caliphate-islamic-state-raqqa-iraq-islamist

1 hour ago, Kasanova King said:

That could be the main reason Russia has interest in Syria...in order to maintain a presence in the region, etc.  But the theory that the U.S. is interested in the region just for oil, including Iraq, is a myth.  The vast majority of the oil contracts from Iraq went to China...some even to Russia.

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/nation-world/world/article24747388.html

The region (Iraq, Syria), generally speaking, is too unstable for U.S. oil companies.  They'd rather get their oil from other, more stable regions, that would not affect their stock prices if something went wrong.  That's why China ended up with most of the oil. (They don't have to answer to shareholders if something "goes wrong" in the region).  Same exact thing would go for Syria. 

You are missing the big picture mate..oil is a strategic resource so just because we don't get our oil from Iraq and Syria does not mean we don't have interest in who controls it.  The power  that controls the Mideast East Oil wields massive power over  countries that rely on it. Some of which are our  allies and some who could hurt our National interests...The EU, our allies,  imports about 25%  of its oil from the Middle East which is not trivial.......and by the way we get a percentage of our oil, close to 10% from the Saudis so it would certainly impact us should we lose that source to an expanded conflict. 

1 minute ago, classicrawker said:

You are missing the big picture mate..oil is a strategic resource so just because we don't get our oil from Iraq and Syria does not mean we don't have interest in who controls it.  The power  that controls the Mideast East Oil wields massive power over  countries that rely on it. Some of which are our  allies and some who could hurt our National interests...The EU, our allies,  imports about 25%  of its oil from the Middle East which is not trivial.......and by the way we get a percentage of our oil, close to 10% from the Saudis so it would certainly impact us should we lose that source to an expanded conflict. 

I agree that presence in the region for purposes of stability is important but it's not "just about oil" or who controls it.  If anything, a more stable Syria, which would lead to a more stable middle-east (no matter who controls Syria) would be better for U.S. oil companies.  A more stable middle-east would be the best scenario for U.S. oil companies and US allies.  

4 minutes ago, Kasanova King said:

I think that's his son trying to make his dad look like a martyr who brought down Russia and tried to bring down the U.S.  But from every interview I've read, the main reason Bin Laden declared a "Jihad" against the West is because of the presence of US military bases in the region and the US's support of Israel.  He wanted Western presence out of the area.

"Bin Laden's stated motivations of the September 11 attacks include the support of Israel by the United States, the presence of the U.S. military in the Saudi Arabian borders, which he considered to be sacred Islamic territory, and the U.S. enforcement of sanctions against Iraq. Bin Laden had a complicated relationship with the United States, as he was supported by the U.S. in the Soviet-Afghan war. However, he first called for jihad against the United States in 1996. This call solely focused on U.S. troops in Saudi Arabia; bin Laden loathed their presence and wanted them removed in a "rain of bullets"[24]

Bin Laden's hatred and disdain for the U.S. were also manifested while he lived in Sudan. There he told Al-Qaeda fighters-in-training:[25]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beliefs_and_ideology_of_Osama_bin_Laden

His son also said that if his father was ever captured or killed, that things would be much worse....which obviously has not been the case.

As far as ISIS goes, they have been defeated in Iraq. 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/oct/21/isis-caliphate-islamic-state-raqqa-iraq-islamist

LOL, so some entry on Wiki knows Bin Laden's intent better then his son who was with his father during the time 911 went down...o.k. 

So you think ISIS is defeated and just going away? Yeah sure just like the Taliban did in Afghanistan who  we are still still fighting 18 years after they were "defeated"...how is that  working out for us?

In any case there is no point debating you mate as no matter how badly you are proven wrong you will never admit it so feel free to carry on...