Locomotive vs. Coma Live

Hey how do you all feel about the idea if they played Locomotive live instead of Coma? Coma was sorely missed during the UYI Tour all the way until it was properly played live for the entire NITL Tour so far. It feels more or less like it had done its justice live; how do you feel if Locomotive replaced the song live to give it some justice too? Personally, I grew up very much with this song & one of the things I desire most about it is its several-minutes-long last solo. Frank Ferrer also seems like the guy that would fall in love with this type of song & give it even more justice than originallly deserved. Although Coma is UYI I & Locomotive is UYI II & deeper, more intense, would this affect the balance of the setlist? Personally, To hear This I Love, Civil War, then Locomotive instead of Coma would not matter overly, but then during the Sydney 10th February 2017 concert they didn't play Coma anyways. Nonetheless, as a small child in the late 1990s, I grew up heavily with Locomotive; it was only during the Japanese Live Era realease that I had gotten to know Coma & seeing that Locomotive is during the studio version a more fade-out song, wouldn't everybody be more curious to see how it would sound properly finished in a live scenario? Also, although some wouldn't highly rate Frank, most seem to really like his takes on You Could Be Mine & Coma; doesn't one think that Locomotive might also be within his line of expertise?

Edited by Screamin' Demon

Locomotive is 1000 times a superior song to Coma in any format, which is just a tacky over-long sub-metal dirge thats corny as fuck and evidence of what happens when Slash and Rose and indulged to the detriment of a band all mucking in and making some rock n roll.  Its Slash and Axl showing the worst parts of their creative inclinations, Slash with his over-loud metal Gibsonry and Axl moaning on about himself...which he's doing in Locomotive too but the self pity is tempered with aggressive lairyness there so it sort of recovers the situation.  A little bit of misogyny always tends to spice things up too because as Dr Dre so rightly put it, bitches ain't shit :lol:

Edited by Len Cnut
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

I wish they could play more UYI songs, but I think that this is not gonna happen. Things like Pretty tied up or Bad obsession would work so good since are "easy" for Axl to sing, and they would sound as cool as Double talkin jive for example.

I've long said they should drop a CD song (namely TWAT or the abomination that is TIL) and replace it with an instrumental of Locomotive, similar to the jam session they had with Jeff Beck in 92, only shorter.  It makes sense: it's fast paced and energetic to keep the crowd interested, it gives ample scope for Slash's noodling and solos and whatnot, Duff can show off his skills, and it would give Axl a much needed vocal rest in the 3 hour set.

I realise most of us here have seen this, but posting for those few who haven't, because that outro is better than sex.  I like best from 5:52 onwards because Duff's bass, and then Duff drumming, is everything.  7:30 is the reason I can never stay mad at Slash for long.  Also, Axl is watching, which is also everything. ^^

I love Breakdown, but the thought of witnessing Franks interpretation of it is nightmare inducing.  Although... maybe that will cleanse me of the Mark Zuckerberg pretends to drink water while inserting a circuit board in my chest repeating nightmare. :lol:

• Like 1

On 14.4.2018 at 4:05 PM, Len Cnut said:

Locomotive is 1000 times a superior song to Coma in any format, which is just a tacky over-long sub-metal dirge thats corny as fuck and evidence of what happens when Slash and Rose and indulged to the detriment of a band all mucking in and making some rock n roll.  Its Slash and Axl showing the worst parts of their creative inclinations, Slash with his over-loud metal Gibsonry and Axl moaning on about himself...which he's doing in Locomotive too but the self pity is tempered with aggressive lairyness there so it sort of recovers the situation.  A little bit of misogyny always tends to spice things up too because as Dr Dre so rightly put it, bitches ain't shit :lol:

Sorry, but you're silly.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

I've long said they should drop a CD song (namely TWAT or the abomination that is TIL) and replace it with an instrumental of Locomotive, similar to the jam session they had with Jeff Beck in 92, only shorter.  It makes sense: it's fast paced and energetic to keep the crowd interested, it gives ample scope for Slash's noodling and solos and whatnot, Duff can show off his skills, and it would give Axl a much needed vocal rest in the 3 hour set.

I realise most of us here have seen this, but posting for those few who haven't, because that outro is better than sex.  I like best from 5:52 onwards because Duff's bass, and then Duff drumming, is everything.  7:30 is the reason I can never stay mad at Slash for long.  Also, Axl is watching, which is also everything. ^^

You're silly too. If they can't be bothered to have Axl sing, they can keep it. Instrumental it's repetitive and boring as hell.

And on that note, anybody petitioning having Locomotive instead of Coma is silly and I'm not even sorry for saying that.There are at least 10 songs that can go before Coma.

Edited by PatrickS77

I listened to Locomotive the other day and I have to say I really love this song.

Love the whole vibe to it and love how the melody takes a turn at the end.

I would love to hear GNR perform this live. I do like Coma too, but when the song gets half way through, I kind of lose interest. lol

So many amazing songs on the UYI cds. I wish GNR would add them and change the set list up.

9 minutes ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

I would love to hear GNR perform this live. I do like Coma too, but when the song gets half way through, I kind of lose interest. lol

I believe Axl once said that the last verse in Coma is one of the best things he has ever written, and I don't think he's wrong... I love that part!

I'm going to see them for the first time this summer and if it's one or the other, then I guess I would rather hear Coma... but I definitely wouldn't mind hearing both.

1 minute ago, EvanG said:

I believe Axl once said that the last verse in Coma is one of the best things he has ever written, and I don't think he's wrong... I love that part!

I'm going to see them for the first time this summer and if it's one or the other, then I guess I would rather hear Coma... but I definitely wouldn't mind hearing both.

I like the beginning and the end, the middle is too long for me.

Same with Catcher in the Rye. The ending goes on forever and I think Axl could have left that part out.

Well, you are so lucky to be seeing GNR this summer. I saw them about 2 years ago and wish they would come back to do another US tour. It seems like it went by so fast. Then GNR added some other cool songs that I never got to hear.

• Like 1