Locomotive vs. Coma Live

On 4/14/2018 at 5:56 AM, AslatIE said:

I think Locomotive could be better for Axl vocal wise

Funny you say that.  Chris Jericho has a show on SiriusXM's Octane channel & during one of his shows last summer he played Locomotive which is apparently one of his favorite GNR songs.  After the song he said how Slash told him that Locomotive was almost never played live because the vocals were too much on Axl's voice or something to that effect.

On 1/19/2019 at 8:22 AM, Len Cnut said:

Its a very uninspired topic for a song, isn't it?  Indicative of a very rich and isolated sort of a person, got the idea to write a song off the telly basically, or books. 

Ideas for songs come from everywhere. The thought that great songs can only be written from personal experience is simply not true.  If a person is talented and creative they can pretty much write about anything.  Limited only by their own imagination.  Btw, I'm not saying CITR is a great song but I think the topic is legitimate.

4 minutes ago, lame ass security said:

Ideas for songs come from everywhere. The thought that great songs can only be written from personal experience is simply not true.  If a person is talented and creative they can pretty much write about anything.  Limited only by their own imagination.  Btw, I'm not saying CITR is a great song but I think the topic is legitimate.

I agree...but the fact that the rest of the songs all appear to be, or are claimed to be, about birds he broke up with 20 years ago or ex band member betrayals kinda lends itself to the idea of a the rich isolated fella lacking in inspiration though I guess who knows what the other songs are really about.  

Edited by Len Cnut

2 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

I agree...but the fact that the rest of the songs all appear to be, or are claimed to be, about birds he broke up with 20 years ago or ex band member betrayals kinda lends itself to the idea of a the rich isolated fella lacking in inspiration though I guess who knows what the other songs are really about.  

Yeah, if the inspiration isn't there then the creativity and talent is pretty meaningless. Not to derail the topic but I've read, on this forum specifically,  that Sorry was written about Slash. But who knows really, it's an interesting narrative though.

Edited by lame ass security

2 hours ago, Chewy2 said:

Funny you say that.  Chris Jericho has a show on SiriusXM's Octane channel & during one of his shows last summer he played Locomotive which is apparently one of his favorite GNR songs.  After the song he said how Slash told him that Locomotive was almost never played live because the vocals were too much on Axl's voice or something to that effect.

Odd....its a mid tempo kind of song and thought it would be perfect for axls breathing and singing technique.

5 hours ago, Chewy2 said:

2 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

Odd....its a mid tempo kind of song and thought it would be perfect for axls breathing and singing technique.

I think Axl's main problem with it in the 90's was that he tried to use his raspy/screaming voice when he didn't have to. The studio version of that song has so many vocal layers that he'd honestly sound better using his low voice and harmonizing with Melissa or Duff, I think there's a decent chance that if they played it now it'd sound better than any of the 90's recordings. Of course, it could also be a complete trainwreck, but that hasn't stopped them yet...

On 4/14/2018 at 1:55 PM, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

I've long said they should drop a CD song (namely TWAT or the abomination that is TIL) and replace it with an instrumental of Locomotive, similar to the jam session they had with Jeff Beck in 92, only shorter.  It makes sense: it's fast paced and energetic to keep the crowd interested, it gives ample scope for Slash's noodling and solos and whatnot, Duff can show off his skills, and it would give Axl a much needed vocal rest in the 3 hour set.

I realise most of us here have seen this, but posting for those few who haven't, because that outro is better than sex.  I like best from 5:52 onwards because Duff's bass, and then Duff drumming, is everything.  7:30 is the reason I can never stay mad at Slash for long.  Also, Axl is watching, which is also everything. ^^

I’m sure you know this, but just to clarify for those that might not... The only reason that Locomotive was a jam session without vocals here was because this was shot at sound check and Axl didn’t show up to sound checks. Had Jeff Beck not blown out his ear drum and they played this during the show, Axl would have been singing it. Either way, it would be great to add this to the new set list. I only recall Locomotive being played once or twice on the Illusion Tour... I want to say 1 night at MSG and 1 night at The Forum, both in 1991?

11 hours ago, Chewy2 said:

It has a bunch of different vocal layers, I think he could easily stick to singing the ''tenor'' range vocals on the tune

I know nothing though

25 minutes ago, 80309561 said:

they already play to many 

How so?  GNR only have 4 albums of original material to pull from and Illusions are a double album so they make up a large percentage of the GNR discog - of course there will be quite a bit Illusions era stuff in live shows.  Considering how few albums GNR has put out in their 30+ years, 10 out of 31 songs being Illusion cuts is far from too many IMO, in fact I think they could benefit from replacing some of the covers like The Seeker with more Illusion cuts

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 1

On 21/01/2019 at 9:52 PM, Len Cnut said:

I agree...but the fact that the rest of the songs all appear to be, or are claimed to be, about birds he broke up with 20 years ago or ex band member betrayals kinda lends itself to the idea of a the rich isolated fella lacking in inspiration  

How so?

Axl was already writing about this sort of things when doing Use Your Illusion I & II.

Art and writing are ways of doing a self-therapy, get things off your chest. If topics like being betrayed or talking about an ex-lover are so present in his writings, it's not that he lacks inspiration, it's because he needs to write about it and that he is a very passionate man.

What I get from most things he has written so far is that he's had a very hard time with people lacking honor. I relate to his lyrics a lot.

Also, inspiration isn't about the theme, it's about the execution, how you write the lyrics, and you deliver the lyrics. The CD lyrics are anything but lacking inspiration.

Edited by D..
  • Like 1

On 1/21/2019 at 9:35 PM, moreblack said:

Even peak era Axl couldn't sing it that great live. Of all the versions that were recorded, it always falls off the rails 

Yeah, but that's primarily because the stuck to singing the higher melodies/harmonies in the choruses etc... Which was a stupid decision if you ask me :facepalm: