action

the beatles

18 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I'm not a big one for fuckin' around with originals.  Its an ad infinitum process that has a devaluing effect I think.  I listened to Let it Be Naked extensively when it came out for a good long while and was quite sold on it initially but...I dunno, these things (albums in general) are a product of their times and are best left as they were, particularly when its a co-operative process and some of the people involved in it are now dead.  And there wasn't really 'problems' with it as such as is often made out.  So yeah, its the original for me I'm afraid but naked is not a bad piece of work by any means.  Its just, y'know, where do you stop with that, the Mona Lisa has a big nose, doesn't she?  I think the Beatles discography, as an artistic statement, is about as definitive as you will ever get in popular music, if you ain't happy with that, commercially or artistically, well then I dunno what to tell ya.

now imagine if that big nose was painted by da vinci's grandma, over the original. With modern day technology, the nose is restored to michelangelo's original vision.

That's kind of what happened with "let it be" I think. The orchestration wasn't added by the artist but rather by an outsider.

edit: I can't believe I put "michelangelo" at first there. that's what you get when you watch too much teenage mutant ninja turtles I guess

Edited by action
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, action said:

now imagine if that big nose was painted by da vinci's grandma, over the original. With modern day technology, the nose is restored to michelangelo's original vision.

That's kind of what happened with "let it be" I think. The orchestration wasn't added by the artist but rather by an outsider.

edit: I can't believe I put "michelangelo" at first there. that's what you get when you watch too much teenage mutant ninja turtles I guess

Coulda been worse, you could’ve put The Shredder :lol:

7 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Coulda been worse, you could’ve put The Shredder :lol:

poor shredder. all his paintings have ended up in pieces

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Len Cnut said:

I'm not a big one for fuckin' around with originals.  Its an ad infinitum process that has a devaluing effect I think.  I listened to Let it Be Naked extensively when it came out for a good long while and was quite sold on it initially but...I dunno, these things (albums in general) are a product of their times and are best left as they were, particularly when its a co-operative process and some of the people involved in it are now dead.  And there wasn't really 'problems' with it as such as is often made out.  So yeah, its the original for me I'm afraid but naked is not a bad piece of work by any means.  Its just, y'know, where do you stop with that, the Mona Lisa has a big nose, doesn't she?  I think the Beatles discography, as an artistic statement, is about as definitive as you will ever get in popular music, if you ain't happy with that, commercially or artistically, well then I dunno what to tell ya.

@action What's Let it Be Naked? I like the version of the song Let it Be with George's killer guitar solo. The other version I've heard has a sort of organ solo which is very weak in comparison.

17 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

@action What's Let it Be Naked? I like the version of the song Let it Be with George's killer guitar solo. The other version I've heard has a sort of organ solo which is very weak in comparison.

Its another Let It Be that came out, like the whole album, re-done by Paulie due to not much caring for Phil Spectors work on the album.  The chief objection I think was something like that like... Let It Be was meant to be a back of basics album and Phil made it no so back to basics-y.

Edited by Len Cnut

3 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Its another Let It Be that came out, like the whole album, re-done by Paulie due to not much caring for Phil Spectors work on the album.

So basically the proper version then imo. Which version has the guitar solo in Let it Be?

If you spot Let it Be...NAKED on youtube please link because I seem to only find outtakes/fakes.

Edited by Oldest Goat

5 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

So basically the proper version then imo. Which version has the guitar solo in Let it Be?

If you spot Let it Be...NAKED on youtube please link because I seem to only find outtakes/fakes.

Its not some fuckin' obscure thing man, it was a big release when it came out, I'm sure its not hard to find online.

1 minute ago, Len Cnut said:

Its not some fuckin' obscure thing man, it was a big release when it came out, I'm sure its not hard to find online.

Help me out you fucking hater! :lol: I'm looking on YouTube with no luck, maybe it's a copyright thing?

Help me out you fucking hater! :lol: I'm looking on YouTube with no luck, maybe it's a copyright thing?

Yeah The Beatles are kinda precious about having their shit slapped online, I'm sure a torrent ain't too hard to find?

Just now, Len Cnut said:

Yeah The Beatles are kinda precious about having their shit slapped online, I'm sure a torrent ain't too hard to find?

Fine. You win, Leonard. I'll fucking do it myself! :lol:

20 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

R-375500-1386801766-9912.jpeg.jpg

Fine. You win, Leonard. I'll fucking do it myself! :lol:

It ain't on fuckin' youtube,  what do you want me to do about that?! :lol:  Honestly, kids these days, if it ain't on a plate you ain't fuckin' interested, are you?! :lol:  Its only a couple more keyboard taps away, its not like I'm asking you to do chin ups here!

1 minute ago, Len Cnut said:

It ain't on fuckin' youtube,  what do you want me to do about that?! :lol:  Honestly, kids these days, if it ain't on a plate you ain't fuckin' interested, are you?! :lol:  Its only a couple more keyboard taps away, its not like I'm asking you to do chin ups here!

Fix it! I hate you! I hate you! :lol:

I actually bought the 2009 remaster boxset some time ago, ripped the whole discography onto the computer then ended up selling the boxset. Just listened to Let it Be and it has the guitar solo I'm talking about so I don't know what the fuck version has the organ solo but it pails in comparison so don't understand its existence.

3 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

I've never even bothered to listen to it, the Naked thing. I haven't listened to that second BBC thing either. 

the naked version will be the first version I'll ever hear of the album. how weird is that?

1 hour ago, action said:

the naked version will be the first version I'll ever hear of the album. how weird is that?

Well you could listen to the Spector one first. It is not one of their better efforts, Let It Be, which is probably why I have never had the inclination to listen to the reboot. Make sure you watch the film though. 

On 18-4-2018 at 10:40 AM, Len Cnut said:

I generally agree with what you're saying, but wasn't Let It Be Naked more of a McCartney vision of the songs that Lennon and Spector didn't agree with? It's interesting to hear his take on them anyway. To me it's a bit different than most "remake" projects as it gives insight in the creative process they had back then. The original product is what came out of their songwriting strugle then and Let It Be Naked was what could have happened had McCartney won the argument. But still, I get what you mean. There is one notable exception though. Love. When I heard they were making it I hated them. When it came out I was ready to passionately hate it with every Beatle-loving fibre in my body. But then it turned out to be really fucking great. I love what George Martin and his son Giles did there.

Edited by username

10 minutes ago, username said:

I generally agree with what you're saying, but wasn't Let It Be Naked more of a McCartney vision of the songs that Lennon and Spector didn't agree with? It's interesting to hear his take on them anyway. To me it's a bit different than most "remake" projects as it gives insight in the creative process they had back then. The original product is what came out of their songwriting strugle then and Let It Be Naked was what could have happened had McCartney won the argument. But still, I get what you mean. There is one notable exception though. Love. When I heard they were making it I hated them. When it came out I was ready to passionately hate it with every Beatle-loving fibre in my body. But then it turned out to be really fucking great. I love what George Martin and his son Giles did there.

I never even listened to it to be honest.  

8 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I never even listened to it to be honest.  

Basically it was George and Giles re-engineering stuff from the original tapes, combining elements of different songs and all. I really like it, despite sort of feeling that I shouldn't. :lol: