the beatles

action

17 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

@action What's Let it Be Naked? I like the version of the song Let it Be with George's killer guitar solo. The other version I've heard has a sort of organ solo which is very weak in comparison.

Its another Let It Be that came out, like the whole album, re-done by Paulie due to not much caring for Phil Spectors work on the album.  The chief objection I think was something like that like... Let It Be was meant to be a back of basics album and Phil made it no so back to basics-y.

Edited by Len Cnut

5 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

So basically the proper version then imo. Which version has the guitar solo in Let it Be?

If you spot Let it Be...NAKED on youtube please link because I seem to only find outtakes/fakes.

Its not some fuckin' obscure thing man, it was a big release when it came out, I'm sure its not hard to find online.

5 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

Fine. You win, Leonard. I'll fucking do it myself! :lol:

It ain't on fuckin' youtube,  what do you want me to do about that?! :lol:  Honestly, kids these days, if it ain't on a plate you ain't fuckin' interested, are you?! :lol:  Its only a couple more keyboard taps away, its not like I'm asking you to do chin ups here!

3 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

I've never even bothered to listen to it, the Naked thing. I haven't listened to that second BBC thing either. 

the naked version will be the first version I'll ever hear of the album. how weird is that?

1 hour ago, action said:

the naked version will be the first version I'll ever hear of the album. how weird is that?

Well you could listen to the Spector one first. It is not one of their better efforts, Let It Be, which is probably why I have never had the inclination to listen to the reboot. Make sure you watch the film though. 

On 18-4-2018 at 10:40 AM, Len Cnut said:

I'm not a big one for fuckin' around with originals.  Its an ad infinitum process that has a devaluing effect I think.  I listened to Let it Be Naked extensively when it came out for a good long while and was quite sold on it initially but...I dunno, these things (albums in general) are a product of their times and are best left as they were, particularly when its a co-operative process and some of the people involved in it are now dead.  And there wasn't really 'problems' with it as such as is often made out.  So yeah, its the original for me I'm afraid but naked is not a bad piece of work by any means.  Its just, y'know, where do you stop with that, the Mona Lisa has a big nose, doesn't she?  I think the Beatles discography, as an artistic statement, is about as definitive as you will ever get in popular music, if you ain't happy with that, commercially or artistically, well then I dunno what to tell ya.

I generally agree with what you're saying, but wasn't Let It Be Naked more of a McCartney vision of the songs that Lennon and Spector didn't agree with? It's interesting to hear his take on them anyway. To me it's a bit different than most "remake" projects as it gives insight in the creative process they had back then. The original product is what came out of their songwriting strugle then and Let It Be Naked was what could have happened had McCartney won the argument. But still, I get what you mean. There is one notable exception though. Love. When I heard they were making it I hated them. When it came out I was ready to passionately hate it with every Beatle-loving fibre in my body. But then it turned out to be really fucking great. I love what George Martin and his son Giles did there.

Edited by username

10 minutes ago, username said:

I generally agree with what you're saying, but wasn't Let It Be Naked more of a McCartney vision of the songs that Lennon and Spector didn't agree with? It's interesting to hear his take on them anyway. To me it's a bit different than most "remake" projects as it gives insight in the creative process they had back then. The original product is what came out of their songwriting strugle then and Let It Be Naked was what could have happened had McCartney won the argument. But still, I get what you mean. There is one notable exception though. Love. When I heard they were making it I hated them. When it came out I was ready to passionately hate it with every Beatle-loving fibre in my body. But then it turned out to be really fucking great. I love what George Martin and his son Giles did there.

I never even listened to it to be honest.  

8 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I never even listened to it to be honest.  

Basically it was George and Giles re-engineering stuff from the original tapes, combining elements of different songs and all. I really like it, despite sort of feeling that I shouldn't. :lol: 

• 1 month later...

as planned, I've bought let it be...naked, and I'm very satisfied with it.

I made the deliberate choice to make this version the first one of the album I'd hear. To me, it sounds very "raw" and spontaneous. You can really hear the band playing together, as a band. This aspect is otherwise absent in their later work.

there is not a dull song on the reworked album. It's also a very "fun" album to listen to. No sonical experiments, no bells and whistles. Someone else more educated in the history of blues could no doubt say it better than me, but I found this album very bluesy, and thus fun and easy to listen to.

the beatles connoisseur won't call this their best album, but as it stands it's definately my personal favorite beatles album, say, to listen to in the car or something

I listened to The Beatles so much back in 2010 that I completely sickened myself with them. They'll always be one of my favourite bands, but I find myself listening to Wings a lot more. 

My favourite album is Abbey Road. Flawless from start to finish and George truly shines on the record.

On 4/16/2018 at 4:29 PM, action said:

I'm a bit OCD when it comes to my collection. For starters I dont buy digital only. I need to be able to feel, smell a new album. For me it's part of the experience.

I understand you :lol: Although I listen to music mostly on Spotify, it feels much better to listen to a cassette or CD IMO, it's another feeling you get.

I'm not a Beatles expert at all and I don't even know half of their songs, but my personal favorite os Hello Goodbye and my favorite album is Rubber Soul. However, it can be completely different tomorrow :lol: don't even bother to ask me why those are my favorites, I don't know it myself

1 hour ago, action said:

nickelback is better than Korn and the beatles

They have more contemporary appeal. 

It’s quite scary really.

Elvis

Beatles

Stomes

Zepp

Van Halen

Guns

Nirvana

Korn

Nickelback

itsa vertical drop from the top

Edited by wasted

Their Anthology series is worth a listen. They even have tracks with Pete Best drumming, though not of the best quality. You can tell why they went with Ringo. Ringo was the secret sauce to their sound. 

I have all their albums. Most seem to like everything Rubber Soul and on, but their early stuff is great. Past Masters Vol. 1 and 2. are also a great collection of non-album singles. 

I'm probably the biggest Beatles nerd on the face of the Earth so I love all their stuff and recommend you buy all of their albums as well as the Past Masters Volumes 1 & 2 which contain most of their non album singles. My favorite Beatles era is probably late 1965 and 1966, the Rubber Soul and Revolver era. To me, that's when they became the greatest band of all time. Before that, they were the mop tops that wrote 2 minute songs about girls and love. Don't get me wrong, I love their early stuff as well, but Rubber Soul was when they started to evolve and became a lot more unique. I recently stumbled upon a cool version of Norwegian Wood that I had never heard before. Here it is

• Like 1