"WE DID DEMOS AT DUFF’S HOUSE IN THE STUDIO" says ZAKK WYLDE about his 1995 sessions with Slash, Duff, Axl, Matt and Dizzy

12 hours ago, default_ said:

It would be great if Zakk had joined them, Zakk is extremelly prolific and versatile, one of the best modern rock writters out there.

At the time he was into some amazing southern heavy blues trip that a year before was released as Pride&Glory, one of the best post 80's rock albums ever released as well as the amazing job HE did with Ozzy's No More Tears, which is also my fav Ozzy album and is like 90% a Zakk Wylde baby.
As for these sessions, I believe they did create some demos as Duff says on his book, there was a piano song written by Zakk, and Zakk himself said most of the first Black Label Society ideas came from the GNR sessions. 

Its cool to note that Zakk and Slash had similar playing and writting styles at the time and what you hear on BLS album is probably an "evolution" of what he did while jamming those ideias with GNR, not the exact thing as he adds heavy distortion and fuzz effects to the riffs and I dont really think they'd use that kind of effects with GNR. Talkin about riffs, there are some AMAZING hard rock riffs at that album that I think worked by the GNR guys could've made an amazing GNR record.

Plus Zakk is a piano guy, he loves it and I think he would be a great help on Axl songs, elevating them.

Zakk is great.

I always hate the pinch harmonics he does. Its ok here and there but he does it on every song.

11 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Yeah, through management which was also Zakk's management (Dougie).

But it also (and mostly) fell apart because Slash didn't want Zakk. He liked him as a guitarist, but didn't want him in the band (the two leads thing).

It would have been a judas priest type thing which was never slashs deal.

Like slash said in his book it didnt work because they were constantly both trying to play lead. He wanted more of a background 2nd guitar player like the role izzy or gilby played.

Example A below of how it would of turned out. Their two different styles just dont mesh in my opinion. 

GNR needed to swing!

Replacing Steven with Matt was a hit to that, losing Izzy was a hit to that.

Zakk would have made them into a poor mans Thrash band I reckon... and I don't think Slash is a harmony dual attack type guitarist.... Axl's voice was quickly losing it's balls to the wall abilities. It didn't happen 'cause it didn't work!

19 minutes ago, Ant said:

GNR needed to swing!

Replacing Steven with Matt was a hit to that, losing Izzy was a hit to that.

Zakk would have made them into a poor mans Thrash band I reckon... and I don't think Slash is a harmony dual attack type guitarist.... Axl's voice was quickly losing it's balls to the wall abilities. It didn't happen 'cause it didn't work!

They swung just fine w/o Steven.

Interesting era. Perhaps a “bigger n’ louder” post-UYI Guns to punch back at the Metallica’s of the world. Unfortunately, just seems like the band was too “stuck in neutral” to seriously pursue it (or anything else)...

Edited by AXL_N_DIZZY

12 hours ago, Ant said:

Matt The Metronome Sorum doesn't swing, man... I know he looked like an ape with a perm but swinging was not in his arsenal. 

One of the most genuinely groovy GN'R tracks in the 70s sense of the word. Not their best but arguably their most Stones-esque and Matt is no impediment here. 

• Like 2

If Zakk was bringing in some ideas along the lines of what he did with Ozzy on No Rest for the Wicked, or No More Tears, it might’ve been an interesting mix with Slash. But he was probably all about his boring downtuned BLS sludge by then. 

And if that’s the case, I’m glad nothing came of it. 

Sure, Zakk can shred, but these days he can’t write a decent song to save his life. 

Lol people saying Zakk would turn GNR into a souless thrash band sure doesnt know what Zakk was about at the time. 

Zakk turned into that kind of metal years after his time with GNR, at the time he was all about hard rock n roll. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sunset Boulevard said:

FORTUS is the perfect guy : He is out of this world both on Rythm and Lead guitar. An absolute genius. He can play everything with the right feel. The perfect fit.

To me, the Slash/Fortus combo on guitar is the best ever in Guns N' Roses. So much potential. I'm thrilled to hear new material with these two guys.

Gonna be waiting a while for that one pal!

5 minutes ago, default_ said:

Lol people saying Zakk would turn GNR into a souless thrash band sure doesnt know what Zakk was about at the time. 

Zakk turned into that kind of metal years after his time with GNR, at the time he was all about hard rock n roll. 

The first Black Label Society sounds exactly like that though, and that wasn’t too long after his stint with GNR 

Zakk was still with PRIDE&GLORY and the Book of Shadows project at the time, that and the sound on No More Tears would probably be closer, but Zakk wouldnt just come and change the sound of the band, thats not how it works. 

But even if he was going to have this kind of influence, as said before, if you take off some distortion and fuzz from the Sonic Brew riffs and just give it some overdrive, you have perfect hard rock n roll riffs that would do great rock n roll songs. 

BLS happened years later. 

Edited by default_

Matt could hold a good monstrous beat , but he couldn’t swing from a chandelier , what u newbies don’t get is , GNR was built on brotherhood , musical abilities , and a strong belief in working together, 

You make a good point ‘default’, stripped down I’m sure zakk had the talent , otherwise axl would never even have jammed with him

For those who arent familiar with Zakk and only thinks he is a "thrasher", just listen to this 2004 song:

And this 2016 one:

I strongely believe that, had Zakk joined, even if Slash got out at some point GNR would be Ok!

Edited by default_