Jump to content
Nice Boy

Do you think Axl would even be able to write AC/DC lyrics these days?

Recommended Posts

Don't get me wrong I like the band and his participation in it, but it occurred to me that AC/DC's musical style is straight up Rawk n Roll of a type that Axl hasn't written for since the mid 80s. I mean if he was still the person who wrote Reckless Life, Jungle, Shadow of Your Love etc then that style of lyric would be ok for AC/DC, but surely his focus isn't on being a badboy rocker anymore and he prefers writing melancholoy epics about broken relationships and whatever, which isn't really suited to AC/DC.. Is there even a song on Chi Dem with lyrics you could envisage on an AC/DC song? Maybe the title track or Shacklers? And even they would have been written over a decade ago.

On the other hand I suppose it's not hard to write AC/DC style of lyric is it..

He will just have to get on the coke again for a weekend, lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I see no reason why he would want to write specific ACDC lyrics. He will write lyrics that he envisions and likes for himself, and carve his own identity into the songs and album. No reason to emulate Bon or Brian. So what if there will be melancholy lyrics about broken relationships? He is his own person so let him do what he wants instead of trying to put something on him he isn't.

This is in the wrong section btw.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I'd imagine Angus would do the writing.

But no it wouldn't be hard for Axl to write a AC/DC style song.

Edited by -W.A.R-

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Angus would handle most, if not all of the writing duties.  Axl might give his opinion on the direction of some of the lyrics, but he seems humble enough to let someone most familiar with the band handle the songwriting.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I doubt he'd write the whole album but wouldn't be surprised if he wrote a couple tracks.

I hope this actually turns into a good duo. I could see the result being similar to Bon-era stuff like Whole Lotta Rosie or Walk All Over You, or even Bad Apples for a GNR comparison. But I wouldn't be surprised if the result is actually more like Rock Or Bust, or Rock N Roll (Night)Train or something :lol:

Edited by Gordon Comstock

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dont think Axl is capable of writting anything these days, even rocks and thunders. :shrugs:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Nice Boy said:

Don't get me wrong I like the band and his participation in it, but it occurred to me that AC/DC's musical style is straight up Rawk n Roll of a type that Axl hasn't written for since the mid 80s. I mean if he was still the person who wrote Reckless Life, Jungle, Shadow of Your Love etc then that style of lyric would be ok for AC/DC, but surely his focus isn't on being a badboy rocker anymore and he prefers writing melancholoy epics about broken relationships and whatever, which isn't really suited to AC/DC.. Is there even a song on Chi Dem with lyrics you could envisage on an AC/DC song? Maybe the title track or Shacklers? And even they would have been written over a decade ago.

On the other hand I suppose it's not hard to write AC/DC style of lyric is it..

He will just have to get on the coke again for a weekend, lol

axl looked very happy singing those songs i am sure he would have no problem writing a few

thing is angus likely wont let him take control of the lyrics

ideal scenario is if angus and axl write these songs together in the same room

not sure this is gonna happen

===

about needing to be a "bad boy" again "on coke" to write "bad boy" lyrics, jesus, is THAT all you can get from GNR?

like, GNR to you is being a bad boy on coke? :blink:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Wtf..there are 2 things that speak against Angus and not Axl writing lyrics. #1 is he has Axl Rose in his band, and is not gonna let him write the lyrics? That would be one of the most stupid moves ever, almost as stupid as it would have been to write lyrics for Bon, who was another talented lyricist, though in a completely different way to Axl. I consider Axl to be one of the best songwriters in rock. Why would he not let Axl write the lyrics? For the same reason he didn't write them for Bon.

And #2: he lost his main writing partner Malcolm, so he can form a writing partnership with Axl, or just let Axl write by himself. If this album were to ever happen I always was of the opinion that Angus would focus on the music, which he now has to come up with and write by himself, and Axl handles the lyrics. That would be the most intelligent course of action, no? Maybe Angus writes a couple lyrics here and there if anything at all.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Wtf..there are 2 things that speak against Angus and not Axl writing lyrics. #1 is he has Axl Rose in his band, and is not gonna let him write the lyrics? That would be one of the most stupid moves ever, almost as stupid as it would have been to write lyrics for Bon, who was another talented lyricist, though in a completely different way to Axl. I consider Axl to be one of the best songwriters in rock. Why would he not let Axl write the lyrics? For the same reason he didn't write them for Bon.

And #2: he lost his main writing partner Malcolm, so he can form a writing partnership with Axl, or just let Axl write by himself. If this album were to ever happen I always was of the opinion that Angus would focus on the music, which he now has to come up with and write by himself, and Axl handles the lyrics. That would be the most intelligent course of action, no? Maybe Angus writes a couple lyrics here and there if anything at all.

ideal scenario is write together in the same room

thats when magic happens

yeah i suppose you are right about angus handling the music but i am sure that if axl is with him when he writes the music, then axl can give him a lot of cool ideas like, "hey angus, wht dont you do this here and then we can do this and that"

same for the lyrics

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

about needing to be a "bad boy" again "on coke" to write "bad boy" lyrics, jesus, is THAT all you can get from GNR?

like, GNR to you is being a bad boy on coke? :blink:

 

 

 

Lol of course not.

It's more what I see in AC/DC, like, their songs are mostly one dimensional simplistic good time hell yeah hard rock. As is some of GnR's old stuff (Nightrain perfect example, it's just a song about cruisng round off your head.)

But I think Axl sees himself as having matured past all that now.

Btw I'm not cricising any aspect of either band here, just making some observations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Axl’s writing lyrics for the album. He wants to sing on a more Bon penned album than a Brian one. He’s expressed liking the Bon stuff more and enjoying the fact that he was able to talk about feelings and it still come across hard and relatable compared to the Brian era. 

Axl has a good understanding of the differences between both eras and Angus has geared his writing to Brian’s style. Axl will want to put his name on an album with some emotion in it and so I think he will write it in an effort to be more connected to the work and be able to bring that passion to his performances. 

I think the ACDC fans will enjoy an Axl Rose penned album more than another Young one. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why not?  Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he write the lyrics for much of Appetite?  It's So Easy, Anything Goes, Out Ta Get Me.  Pretty straight forward lyrics if you ask me and not that far off from some of AC/DC's lyrics.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

Axl’s writing lyrics for the album.

That's cool to hear, is there a link to confirm that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

That's cool to hear, is there a link to confirm that?

Think of it as a statement of my opinion. Which as I put in my post there’s evidence from Axl on what he prefers in ACDC and I don’t think it should be shocking to believe that Axl, who is a songwriter himself, might pen lyrics for an album he’s singing on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Axl will never write anything for anyone.  He's done.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nosaj Thing said:

Axl will never write anything for anyone.  He's done.

We also said he'd never talk to Slash ever again. The guy is different now

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I doubt Axl will be writing anything if there's an album. This will be more of an 'AC/DC featuring Axl Rose' type of thing with Angus in charge of everything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Gackt said:

What?

so angus is "most familiar with the band"?

i thought that he owned it! :rofl-lol:

 

5 hours ago, Gibson_Guy87 said:

He was talking about Angus...

thats why i am laughing!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I personally think Angus will write all the lyrics but for sake of argument I do find a discrepancy between AC/DC's lyrical content, even Bon's sleazier stuff, and Rose's Appetite stuff. DC were always more beer drinking denim-clad Aussie-British ''lads''. Guns were more ''LA'' and heroin. DC were more ''having a fumble with Sheila''. Guns were more hookers and porn stars. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guessing he'll change a couple of words here and there so that it fits his singing style more.

Write a complete song? Don't think so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I find the Axl and Angus combination very interesting. You have 2 very strong personalities both perfectionist who have control desires. Yet, it obviously works between them. I think most likely they'll work together on lyrics but I have to believe that even Angus values what Axl adds as a lyricist and will benefit from having Axl write lyrics. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×