Appetite for Distortion - Ep. 59: Tommy Stinson

I wanna thank your for doing this interview! Tommy has always been one of my favourite GN'R members and it made me really sad when he was not longer a part of the band. 

Edited by Sosso
  • GNFNR 1

Always liked Going Down.

I'm sure it was on here that I read that Axl allegedly recorded a lead vocal for the tune, which I was kind of hoping he'd confirm when I seen that the song was going to be brought up in the discussion, but the reality is that probably none of that line up probably knows for sure what Axl did or didn't do.

Great interview as always man!

• GNFNR 1

3 hours ago, scooby845 said:

You should have asked him why he dissed Dj Ashba and talked behind his back when Ashba called him to let him know that he had left GNR. 

Low key dick move from Stinson. 

He was just saying that nobody cared about DJ's exit.

Tommy's pause after Gambit mentions seeing Buckethead, though only a second long, felt like an eternity!  And it felt full of anger!  Obviously just my impression but Tommy sure did avoid acknowledging Bucket in his response. How bad could things have got between them?  It's been 14 years of pain since Bucket left in 2004, lol.

Edited by soon

Were there any questions asked about unreleased music other than Going Down? If there are so many supposed unreleased songs, it’d be cool to hear a bit more about them from the guys that actually played on them.

Or were those type of questions a big no-no?

36 minutes ago, Gambit83 said:

I admit I was more timid than usual when asking GNR questions. His reps, while very nice, kept reminding me that he really preferred to talk about his new stuff and the charity event. GNR was not off limits, but it could not be the focus.

My goal was, since he did not know me, was to win him over and show I cared about what he cared about. When it came to the GNR ques, I was very aware of his cadence, trying to read his reactions to see how far I could push it. When I mentioned Bucket, I was hoping he might jump in and say something. After the meeting Axl/Going Down/opening for GNR ques, I figured I got enough for this specific interview. His reps were very happy with it all, even giving me credit for how long I kept him. Now I'm hoping when his Cowboys in the Campfire EP and new Bash & Pop, I can get him again, asking more since I have a level of trust now.

Is logic that everyone artist prefer talk about they new stuff.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gambit83 said:

I admit I was more timid than usual when asking GNR questions. His reps, while very nice, kept reminding me that he really preferred to talk about his new stuff and the charity event. GNR was not off limits, but it could not be the focus.

My goal was, since he did not know me, was to win him over and show I cared about what he cared about. When it came to the GNR ques, I was very aware of his cadence, trying to read his reactions to see how far I could push it. When I mentioned Bucket, I was hoping he might jump in and say something. After the meeting Axl/Going Down/opening for GNR ques, I figured I got enough for this specific interview. His reps were very happy with it all, even giving me credit for how long I kept him. Now I'm hoping when his Cowboys in the Campfire EP and new Bash & Pop, I can get him again, asking more since I have a level of trust now.

You crafty buggar😁 that logic makes sense.

This obviously isn't the case here, but if someone's reps said "you can't discuss gnr" I'd imagine interviewing them for a gnr specific podcast would be pretty difficult. Fortunately Tommy seems happy to discuss his time with the band as it ended well between everybody.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gambit83 said:

It's funny you mention the Bucket thing. As soon as you asked that, I thought "Nice gateway!" then Tommy barely reacted and I was like "shit!" haha

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

You crafty buggar😁 that logic makes sense.

This obviously isn't the case here, but if someone's reps said "you can't discuss gnr" I'd imagine interviewing them for a gnr specific podcast would be pretty difficult. Fortunately Tommy seems happy to discuss his time with the band as it ended well between everybody.

I still would have done it if he couldn't, assuming we all would like to just hear from him regardless. I got the impression they've (his reps) had bad interview experiences in the past. I was shocked I was given approval at all, so I didn't want to fuck this up. 

The "GNR specific" is why Bumblefoot won't come on. He was my very first radio interview ever, before Chinese came out. Met him a couple times, very nice, but even though I'd offer to only talk new stuff, won't do it.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Tori72 said:

Could you sum up the interesting bits please? :lol:

Hah.

Well.... He didn't talk much about GN'R and really didn't say anything new. To be honest, I think he is a boring character 😳 or is it maybe that I'm not interested that much on him and his solo stuff.

He was asked about Going Down and he said he has no idea what's gonna be of that material, if they will ever use it, it's actually something he has not asked himself about.

And...... I'm not sure I remember anything else that is important, lol.. Maybe that Buckethead thing.

I also listened to the Jack Lue one and I thought that one was much more interesting than Tommy. Apparently, he was at the Coachella and Vegas shows from 2016 on the pit taking pictures along with Kat Benzova but he's not allowed to release them :shrugs:

There's also Art Tavana in the beginning I think and I guess he's the one who gives some really cool opinions on Adler's "latest deeds" :lol:

Edited by killuridols
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, killuridols said:

Hah.

Well.... He didn't talk much about GN'R and really didn't say anything knew. To be honest, I think he is a boring character 😳 or is it maybe that I'm not interested that much on him and his solo stuff.

He was asked about Going Down and he said he has no idea what's gonna be of that material, if they will ever use it, it's actually something he has not asked himself about.

And...... I'm not sure I remember anything else that is important, lol.. Maybe that Buckethead thing.

I also listened to the Jack Lue one and I thought that one was much more interesting than Tommy. Apparently, he was at the Coachella and Vegas shows from 2016 on the pit taking pictures along with Kat Benzova but he's not allowed to release them :shrugs:

There's also Art Tavana in the beginning I think and I guess he's the one who gives some really cool opinions on Adler's "latest deeds" :lol:

It's all interesting!! Haha, nah I get it and appreciate who sum up for those who don't listen. Though a FB like and a Twitter follow would be greatly appreciated :) facebook.com/TheAFDShow  &   twitter.com/TheAFDShow  ;) 

Jack was interesting for sure, those comments you mention in particular. Doesn't seem very fair to him. And fyi I should be interviewing Johnny Kelly (Type-0 Negative/Hookers & Blow) on Sunday. 

Edited by Gambit83

15 minutes ago, Gambit83 said:

It's all interesting!! Haha, nah I get it and appreciate who sum up for those who don't listen. Though a FB like and a Twitter follow would be greatly appreciated :) facebook.com/TheAFDShow  &   twitter.com/TheAFDShow  ;) 

Jack was interesting for sure, those comments you mention in particular. Doesn't seem very fair to him. And fyi I should be interviewing Johnny Kelly (Type-0 Negative/Hookers & Blow) on Sunday. 

My summary is lame I know... poor @Tori72, I was not the best one to give her a summary, because to be honest, I was doing two things at the time. Listening to the podcast and reading Kant (:facepalm:) in my Spanish book so my brain was handling two languages at the same time :lol:

Plus, I'm not much of a fan of Tommy but I did want to hear it because it is my duty (:question:) and I have missed many of your podcasts since I can hardly spare 1 hour (or more) to listen carefully to it. I need to put on headphones too because I barely understand sometimes. OMG THE DRAMA, please forgive me :unsure:

I do follow you on FB but I hardly use it anymore. Same with Twitter. I listen to you on Soundcloud so that's where Im plugged to and follow you there as well.

I am waiting for the Jamie Hunting podcast because I am the one who brought his name in that Outpatience thread and you said you read about it on MyGnR, hehehe :awesomeface:

Edited by killuridols
  • GNFNR 2