Jumpin' Jack Flash

Fashionista

I find it strange I'm not more into the Stones than I am. By my taste I should love them but I don't. Stuff like JJF, you cats feel like it's some kind of perfect song, but to me JJF and a lot of their other stuff just sounds like classic rock radio same old same old. Idk, I just don't get them like that. Can't figure it out.

14 minutes ago, J Dog said:

I find it strange I'm not more into the Stones than I am. By my taste I should love them but I don't. Stuff like JJF, you cats feel like it's some kind of perfect song, but to me JJF and a lot of their other stuff just sounds like classic rock radio same old same old. Idk, I just don't get them like that. Can't figure it out.

JJF to me is one of those songs where, I cant explain it, its just pushing forward, its that riff, in the same way I cant quite explain what it is about Build Me Up Buttercup that compels me to want to sing-a-long.  I guess like, the best I can explain is like, in your own words, classic rock radio, you say it like its some commonplace thing which it is but...there has to be something exceptional about something to make it classic right?  I mean like, for example I never listened to Lynrd Skynrd until you pointed them out to me and to be honest I haven’t listened to em since but you could name those songs to me from that first album and I bet you I could sing most of their choruses, they stuck to me instantly, I understood immediately why this band is rated...and JJF well, thats a classic among classics.  

2 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

JJF to me is one of those songs where, I cant explain it, its just pushing forward, its that riff, in the same way I cant quite explain what it is about Build Me Up Buttercup that compels me to want to sing-a-long.  I guess like, the best I can explain is like, in your own words, classic rock radio, you say it like its some commonplace thing which it is but...there has to be something exceptional about something to make it classic right?  I mean like, for example I never listened to Lynrd Skynrd until you pointed them out to me and to be honest I haven’t listened to em since but you could name those songs to me from that first album and I bet you I could sing most of their choruses, they stuck to me instantly, I understood immediately why this band is rated...and JJF well, thats a classic among classics.  

It does sound like I'm condemning classic rock radio, which I don't really mean to even though I see why it sounds like that. More like, classic and good yes, but great enough to stand out as special no. But, now that you've brought Skynyrd up, I understand a little better now. I'm sure a lot of people would consider some of their stuff classic radio same old same old, where as I consider them one of the greatest of all time. I've even seen the reference a bunch that Skynyrd is the American Stones, which is actually a pretty good comparison. Listen to Gimme Three Steps, I'd probably talk about that song the same way you talk about JJF. For the record I am down with the Stones too.

1 hour ago, J Dog said:

It does sound like I'm condemning classic rock radio, which I don't really mean to even though I see why it sounds like that. More like, classic and good yes, but great enough to stand out as special no. But, now that you've brought Skynyrd up, I understand a little better now. I'm sure a lot of people would consider some of their stuff classic radio same old same old, where as I consider them one of the greatest of all time. I've even seen the reference a bunch that Skynyrd is the American Stones, which is actually a pretty good comparison. Listen to Gimme Three Steps, I'd probably talk about that song the same way you talk about JJF. For the record I am down with the Stones too.

See i remember Gimme Three Steps, having heard that album once.  I shouldn't, especially with my musical sensibility being what it is (or perhaps I should) but i do.  I dunno, I came to The Stones in a weird way.  For years in my youth I never gave em a chance cuz of punk.  And when i did give em a chance it was off a greatest hits album in 2002 called Forty Licks and pretty much every song was good but JJF hit me a LOT cuz it was one of the rockin'est.  JJF, Get Off My Cloud, Satisfaction (which i knew anyway obviously), pretty much that whole first CD from that 2 CD greatest hits blew my mind.  But like, point being, in the context of The Stones pantheon, what else besides JJF, for a fan of rockin' music, would make sense?  It reminded me almost of the song from the Wrigleys Gum commercial, JJF to me is like...almost like the spirit of rock n roll, its that good, i guess no amount of talk will make a man hear what isn't there for him but, i dunno, i guess I'm just trying to explain what i hear.  

And for the record, I hear what you hear in Gimme Three Steps, in fact I hear it it almost every song of that album and i heard it instantly at that.  Thats how good it was to me.  I actually haven't touched it since cuz years of listening to music has made me not want to wear it out so early, I kinda know its there, that band there is there, for me to come back to...JJF was kinda like that, instantly recognisable and instantly memorable and I've heard it a thousand times since and its beautiful.

There's something pure blues about it, that idea, lyrically, of a life FULL of pain...but its alright.  And then sung with a sort of mischievious cheek.  Thats kinda what blues is all about.  Its super simple and super driving and...I dunno how to explain it if you don't hear it.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...