Irrational fears

willl

I don't LIKE heights as such, I mean like...they ain't my favourite fuckin' thing but I can handle em.  I just do it, get on with it, deal with it.  Unsecured heights though, like big fuckin' fire-escape type staircases where you look down and you can see the drop through the grate, that ain't my favourite position in life to be in.  But its OK.  I'm of the opinion that if you got a phobia of anything, if any shit bothers you, you should run to that shit immediately and go and deal with it and see whats there, see what the problem is.  Cuz if you submit to that shit constantly you cripple yourself, I seen it in people, I know people who fuckin' won't get on the tube cuz they're afraid of escalators, so instead of a 5 minute train journey to Euston they take like a 40 minute ride on two different buses.  Won't walk certain places cuz you might go over a bridge, all types of madness.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not insensitive to the fact that, y'know, everyone has a blind spot about something but at the same time I think its good to not submit to every kind of instinct or impulse of something that you find kinda challenging because you weaken yourself as a person.  Its kinda like food...some people limit themselves so much over shit cuz they're just a slave to taste.  Now don't get me wrong I'm not saying be a fuckin' pig but I'm saying like, OK, brocolli don't taste good, or, y'know, whatever fuckin' thing it is that ain't your favourite and its good for you...is it really THAT fuckin' bad?  Just fuckin' deal with it, do it, who cares if it don't taste brilliant, its like 5/10 mins of your life.  Or like people who can't stop eating sweets or whatever, these things are kinda related I think, its about a sort of...I dunno, discipline, willpower, all that fuckin' Mr Motivator bullshit.  

Naturally I think I am afraid of heights but its something I've dealt with and handled.  I'm kinda afraid of animals too, or I was but its fixed.  Fighting too I kinda have a problem with, I guess thats everybody, I ain't afraid of it like petrified but I mean like...a lot of nervous energy and fuckin' like...adrenaline etc.  Where I know people who can throw hands like calm as a coma.

My first job was at McDonalds and while I worked at the one in Texas, there was a crazed gunman that entered and shot up a McD in CA. So being gunned down in a mass killing was a big fear of mine at the age of 16. But I didn't let it impact my life since I told myself it was an irrational fear and not worth letting that fear keep me from doing things. Telling myself it was irrational worked for many years until that fear sadly became not irrational. 

My only irrational fear that remains is rats. I don't care if it's a hamster or a mice. It's still a rat! If a small rodent is seen I won't enter the room again until it's gone and the floors have been completely sanitized. And we cannot use rat poison because I fear our pets will find the rat poison. Plus I can't think of dead rats in our walls. I could go on and on about the possibilities because it's irrational. 

• Like 2

The ocean.

The fact that something that big can sneak up on you out of nowhere freaks me the hell out.

Plus all this creepy shit...

sWaAs.jpg

vbY2d.jpg

sdzIi.jpg

LCyQJ.jpg

AND the fact that we've only explored 5% of it. Who knows what other scary crap is lurking about in there. :no:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

A Place in the Sun, the daytime travel-property show.

Place in the Sun?! :lol: Wtf?

5 hours ago, Gracii Guns said:

From early childhood until I was 17 I had an irrational, and increasingly worsening fear of butterflies. Most other creatures have a predictable way of going about life. Legs bend at the knees and in most cases, walk in the direction they’re facing. But butterflies don’t play that game and can fly into your face on a malicious day.

I don’t have a problem with them now, but I still don’t find them beautiful.

I get this, the way they flutter makes my skin crawl. Anything with wings gives me the chills tbh.

4 hours ago, soon said:

xoubCqNh.jpg

These fuckers.  Silverfish.  They get pretty big, arent afraid of humans.  Will run right at you if they see you trying to get em. Their bodies thread and weave as they scurry in a manner right out of a horror film.  They sit on toilet bowls.  Can withstand a stomp or two with a boot!  But are harmless and I dont believe they even bite.

We get these occassionally in our house but they never bothered me, although I'd never quite appreciated how hideous they look :smiley-confused2:

1 hour ago, Gibson_Guy87 said:

I try to avoid heights at all costs. I'm okay with flying once the plane gets to its assigned altitude but anything else can fuck right off. I've been to Chicago many times and have never once set foot in the Sears tower and I intend to keep it that way. I'm planning on moving to Minneapolis next year and if I get a job in a tall building, I want the company to be in the bottom 5 stories of the building.

Yep, the whole taking off and landing part is scary for me too. I usually take a 7 hour boat ride to the mainland instead of a 1 hour flight as I'd prefer to take my chances in the open ocean than plummeting 10000ft back to earth (even if there are stealthy great white sharks ready to eat me lol) :)

• Like 1

@Len Cnut I wish it were that easy with my fear of heights. I can fly in a plane, as long as I can't see out the windows and I stayed seated for the flight. I totally lose my balance and walk like I am drunk, if I try to stand up while in the air. I tried walking on trails up a mountain with an ex boyfriend, got on a narrow ledge and totally froze unable to walk due to dizziness.  So it's not like I haven't tried to face my fear. I even get dizzy at a department store going down an escalator. I have found out that if I look upward going down the escalator i can manage but still get dizzy. Not sure if it is an inner ear issue or what. 😣

1 hour ago, BlueJean Baby said:

@Len Cnut I wish it were that easy with my fear of heights. I can fly in a plane, as long as I can't see out the windows and I stayed seated for the flight. I totally lose my balance and walk like I am drunk, if I try to stand up while in the air. I tried walking on trails up a mountain with an ex boyfriend, got on a narrow ledge and totally froze unable to walk due to dizziness.  So it's not like I haven't tried to face my fear. I even get dizzy at a department store going down an escalator. I have found out that if I look upward going down the escalator i can manage but still get dizzy. Not sure if it is an inner ear issue or what. 😣

Thats like textbook vertigo, thats an actual condition dearie

13 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Thats like textbook vertigo, thats an actual condition dearie

Can it be caused by heights though, I am fine on ground levels. 😏

Nevermind, looked it up, vertigo can be triggered by heights and thus cause a fear of heights....wow never knew I had it 😣

Edited by BlueJean Baby
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, BlueJean Baby said:

Can it be caused by heights though, I am fine on ground levels. 😏

Nevermind, looked it up, vertigo can be triggered by heights and thus cause a fear of heights....wow never knew I had it 😣

The things one can learn on this forum. 😊

• Like 1

Moths are what freak me out, not the little ones but those big big fuckers with furry bodies, i swear they aim themselves at me. I remember the first time i watched Silence of the Lambs the moths were the thing that scared me, not the tranny skinning and killing girls but the moths he had...ugh!!

and guinea pigs are scary little fuckers, i don't like the noises they make and they don't have tails. I like rodents with tails.

39 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

and guinea pigs are scary little fuckers, i don't like the noises they make and they don't have tails. I like rodents with tails.

Guinea pigs are sweet! Mine passed away in September but he was the happiest, most playful little guy around :)

I won't ever swim in the ocean for fear of not seeing what is underneath, not a fan of heights and I fuckin hate spiders and cockroaches or cucarachas like they are known in Mexico... where just the sight of them would freak me the freak out! They are HUGE down there! :nervous:

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, marlingrl03 said:

I won't ever swim in the ocean for fear of not seeing what is underneath, not a fan of heights and I fuckin hate spiders and cockroaches or cucarachas like they are known in Mexico... where just the sight of them would freak me the freak out! They are HUGE down there! :nervous:

Yes,  in spanish is cucaracha is a very repulsive insect ,and not exist venom can exterminate, if the world end tomorrow they will still to survive:question:

2 hours ago, marlingrl03 said:

Haha, my friends live in a house that's quite well-known in our city in Western Mexico as "La Casa de Las Cucarachas". Basically, the landlord doesn't look after it too well, so there are cockroaches everywhere. Sometimes my friends have woken up with cockroaches on their faces before. It's a great place for a fiesta, but I'm glad I don't live there...

I actually don't mind cockroaches though, they might be unpleasant but they're harmless. Scorpions scare the shit out of me, but that's not really an irrational fear, that's perfectly rational.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Graeme said:

Haha, my friends live in a house that's quite well-known in our city in Western Mexico as "La Casa de Las Cucarachas". Basically, the landlord doesn't look after it too well, so there are cockroaches everywhere. Sometimes my friends have woken up with cockroaches on their faces before. It's a great place for a fiesta, but I'm glad I don't live there...

I actually don't mind cockroaches though, they might be unpleasant but they're harmless. Scorpions scare the shit out of me, but that's not really an irrational fear, that's perfectly rational.

Woken up with them on their face?!!!!! Ahhhhh, hell NO! :lol: :smiley-confused2:

• Haha 1