Waffle House shooting suspect captured

Live

Trump hosts France's Macron

LIVE UPDATES

Van strikes pedestrians in Toronto

By Veronica Rocha and Brian Ries, CNN

Updated 1 min ago3:00 p.m. ET, April 23, 2018

What we know now

What happened: A white van struck numerous pedestrians in Toronto, Canada.

How many were hit: Police say it's “too early” to confirm the number of pedestrians struck or their injuries.

Transportation locked down: Subway service suspended in the area of the incident.

Arrest made: The driver of the van has been arrested, police told CNN.

Expand

6 min ago

Bystanders shouted, "Stop the car!"

An eyewitness told CNN partner CTV that a white vehicle drove onto a sidewalk today and plowed into pedestrians.

She said bystanders shouted to the driver, "Stop the car!"

"But he didn't," she said. "He just kept moving."

The woman said she saw at least three people lying on the ground. "They didn't move at all," she said.

Watch as a woman describes the moment she saw a van strike numerous pedestrians in Toronto. https://t.co/OHo4HBjAcT

— Veronica Rocha (@VeronicaRochaLA) April 23, 2018

17 min ago

Eyewitness photo shows scene after van hit pedestrians

From CNN's Paul Murphy

A woman who was at the scene of the van incident shared photos on Twitter that appear to show some of the people who were injured.

"This is insane," she tweeted.

Mary Tan/Twitter

21 min ago

Van incident happened on one of Toronto's main thoroughfares

The incident occurred in the North York area at the intersection of Yonge Street and Finch Avenue, police said.

Yonge Street is one of the main thoroughfares in Toronto.

20 min ago

Police seen surrounding white rental van

From CNN's Isabella Gomez

Mark Dukes works at the Procter & Gamble building on Yonge Street and Poyntz Avenue in Toronto.

He told CNN he heard sirens outside of his office and looked down to the site of a van surrounded by police officers.

"There were tons of officers at first but not so many now," he said.

29 min ago

Canada prime minister: "Our hearts go out to anyone affected"

Canadian prime minister Justin Trudeau told CNN network partner CTV regarding the incident:

“Obviously, we’re just learning of the situation in Toronto. Our hearts go out to anyone affected. We’re going to obviously going to have more to learn, more to say in the coming hours."

18 min ago

JUST IN: Driver of van arrested

From CNN's Julia Jones

The suspect in the Toronto collision is in custody and the van has been located, Toronto Police media representative Gary Long told CNN.

Police don’t have more information on the extent of the injuries of the victims and no further information on the suspect.

Police declined to confirm the color of the vehicle at this time.

37 min ago

Paramedics are treating multiple patients 

From CNN's Julia Jones

Toronto paramedics are on the scene and treating multiple patients, according to  Kim McKinnon, Toronto Paramedics superintendent.

Karl Mok took this photo of the scene, where the van hit multiple pedestrians in Toronto.

Mok did not see the incident, but looked out his 15th floor window when a co-worker told him about it.

39 min ago

Subway service suspended in the area

Subway service has been suspended near the crash due to the police investigation.

The Toronto Transit Commission issued these service alerts after the crash:

No service on Line 1, between Sheppard and Finch Stations, due to a Toronto Police investigation. There will not be any shuttle bus service.

From the Service suspended on Line 1, between Sheppard and Finch Stations due to a Toronto Police investigation at Sheppard Station, street level

36 Finch diverting eastbound via Talbot, Hendon due to a police investigation at Yonge and North York

97 Yonge diverting both ways via Elmhurst, Beecroft, Parkholme due to a police investigation at Yonge and North York.

48 min ago

Van strikes numerous pedestrians in Toronto

A white van has struck numerous pedestrians in Toronto, Canada, police said.

The incident happened at the busy intersection of Yonge Street and Finch Avenue, according to the Toronto Police Service..

Edited by BlueJean Baby

1 minute ago, downzy said:

Wondering if it's a religious fanatic or someone mentally disturbed 

Let's wait until we see what colour he is before we start making judgements along those lines eh?  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Kasanova King said:

Smh.  Is it time to talk about better van control measures?

j/k

Sad and tragic.  :(

Actually, it likely won't be much longer before the debate over autonomous driving and whether it should be illegal to allow humans to drive cars.

I am so f*cking livid at this. Shit like this better not be starting here. Whoever it was, it was obviously deliberate. My best friend lives around the corner and walks that route every.single.day. with her young daughter.

You now have to worry about walking the streets of Toronto??? No. Just no.

• Like 3

I just saw footage of the standoff with the police, the dude told them to shoot him in the head....why is it when people want to die they have to kill and hurt others to get suicide by cops....just get some balls and kill yourself....no need to kill strangers in order to die....😣

1 hour ago, action said:

have you checked the official chart?

98e191b54ffa450fba77e0e8d5d318a7.jpg

14 hours ago, Dazey said:

Let's wait until we see what colour he is before we start making judgements along those lines eh?  

Yep 👍 

Glad to see Toronto's own @downzyposting and hope that all other mygnr friends and their loved ones are safe and sound too.

I go to that neighbourhood for medical appointments frequently.  Really sad stuff.  

Theres some speculation based off of unverified FB page that he was inspired by the California rampage guy from 2014 who was distraught about being involuntarily celibate.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/toronto-van-attack-driver-profile-alek-minassian-1.4632435

I only saw this today. Such a terrible act. My thoughts are with all those living in Toronto or have loved ones in the area or impacted. I haven't watched the news but think it's important to recognize that terrorist can be any race or nationality but to me it doesn't matter, this person is pure evil if this was intentional. 

But to answer @BlueJean Baby I believe that terrorist teach that if one loses their life taking out others in belief they are furthering their cause, they will be awarded with 9 virgins in heaven. Apparently this is the reason they have people willing to be suicide bombers. At least that's what I've heard the 9 virgins are. 

14 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

As my grandmother would say, looks like he has a touch of the tarbrush. 

Actually looks a little Greek to me.

5 minutes ago, Kwick1 said:

I only saw this today. Such a terrible act. My thoughts are with all those living in Toronto or have loved ones in the area or impacted. I haven't watched the news but think it's important to recognize that terrorist can be any race or nationality but to me it doesn't matter, this person is pure evil if this was intentional. 

But to answer @BlueJean Baby I believe that terrorist teach that if one loses their life taking out others in belief they are furthering their cause, they will be awarded with 9 virgins in heaven. Apparently this is the reason they have people willing to be suicide bombers. At least that's what I've heard the 9 virgins are. 

Got to ask yourself what a bird who dies a virgin is likely to look like though eh?

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Kwick1 said:

.... Well, Islamic terrorists at least.

17 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

In fairness, as far as I understand it, this reward is highly disputed among Muslims. 

Whether it's a reward to have sex with 9 virgins as @downzy alluded to?

In seriousness though, all of these attacks are made by truly evil people whether or not they believe they're acting for some greater purpose. 

• Like 1

31306933_2126439560705554_52555573454936

Nice to live in a country where the response to the recent horrific tragedy was appropriate, responsible and unifying. 

Kind of crazy to see some responses from gun-loving Americans who think this tragedy could have been avoided if Torontonians carried a gun.  As if shooting a driver in a moving van without taking out innocent bystanders is an easy task, even for the most experienced marksman.  Dumb.  

• Like 1