Better riffmaster - Slash vs Tony Iommi?

Towelie

Who's the better riffmaster?  

33 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

My heart wants to say Slash, but Iommi might be the god of riffs.  He's written so many.  Having said that, I think I prefer to listen to Slash's bluesier, sleazier and sexier riffs than to listen to Iommi's very heavy and dark riffs.  I still love Sabbath, though.  Another great riffmeister:  Jimmy Page.

• Like 1

I love Slash but when it comes to crushing rock riffs no one can touch Iommi IMHO..........This man has been generating epic metal riffs for almost 50 years now... and he would always throw in a short solo in the middle of most songs....one of the most underrated guitar players in Rock I think s people just remember the riffs.............although I am surprised nobody mentioned Angus Young as AC/DC catalog is one long riff.......

I love Keef but never really thought of him as a riff master as I believe his guitar parts are more complex and bluesy then simple repetitive riffs although he wrote some brilliant ones...........and as far as Chuck Berry is concerned he is one of the Godfathers of RnR but I find most of the riffs in his songs are just variations of the same riff just modified slightly but I am open to one of you lads educating me to the contrary.........:)

Not his greatest by any means but I always loved this song cranked through a good set of speakers.......

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

Obviously I'm a huge Slash fan, but of all the riffmeisters that have come along, I think my favorite might be Jimmy Page.  The classic Zep riffs like Whole Lotta Love, Bring it on Home, Black Dog, Communication Breakdown and on an on.. are so badass!

less is more.

if we're talking quality over quantity, then I prefer Izzy's simple but effective power chord riffs that everyone can play and be a badass. reckless life, right next door to hell, paradise city, out to get me, it's so easy.... frankly I'd go for Izzy everyday and it's not even close

• Like 1

Iommi for sure out of these two. But I would have to add Dime and Randy they were both awesome at coming up with memorable riffs

Ozzy has certainly had the BEST riff writers in this respect. Iommi, Randy, Lee, Zack, he definitely has an eye for talent in that dept.