Appetite for Destruction Remastered General Thread

3 minutes ago, username said:

I disagree. In fact I think this marketing campaign is pretty brilliant. I have 2 issues though. 

1. For a normal band that has released an album in the past 2 or even 5 years, this would make sense. However, because GnR releases are less common than bigfoot sightings you'd sort of expect this to be for a new album rather than a re-issue. That's a classic case of GnR being it's own worst enemy. If they actually had put out an album recently, people would all agree this is brilliant. Now they're divided. 

2. The product itself and it's pricing. It's not just a GnR thing. Recently Pink Floyd did it too. I think 600+ is absolutely ridiculous. I'm wondering what the "regular" releases will be and how they'll be priced. So I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now. But for a release this widely marketed, you need a more accessable product at a more accessable price. 

Not to continue referencing Pearl Jam here, but I would basically give a kidney for Eddie to lock himself in a room with Axl and be like, "Dude.  Dude.  There is a right way to do this and a wrong way to do this.  Why are you guys fucking addicted to doing it the wrong way?"

I like both bands equally when it comes to the music, but watching how each one operates their business over the course of like 25 years has been fucking spectacular to witness.

Just now, Axl_morris said:

No, it says the box contains the super deluxe edition. The box set is called locked n loaded

Like we discussed above, it doesn't add up.

There's now a deluxe version for $20, which is 2 discs.

The super deluxe is $180, and only contains 3 more discs and a book?

1 minute ago, Saltzy said:

I like both bands equally when it comes to the music, but watching how each one operates their business over the course of like 25 years has been fucking spectacular to witness.

Me too. I like the two bands in the same way.
but the difference between how PJ (and also Metallica) works and GNR ... could have learned a lot from them.

Just now, Saltzy said:

Not to continue referencing Pearl Jam here, but I would basically give a kidney for Eddie to lock himself in a room with Axl and be like, "Dude.  Dude.  There is a right way to do this and a wrong way to do this.  Why are you guys fucking addicted to doing it the wrong way?"

Agreed. GnR is generally terrible at handling itself and releases. But credit where credit is due - the way they handled Troubadour was amazing and I think this in itself is generally well-done too. 

Pearl Jam also has the thing where you can buy digital soundboard live recordings of concerts through a website after going to shows right? I know Metallica and The Black Crowes do that too. I'm going to my first Pearl Jam show this summer and I'd love to get a soundboard recording of that for a few bucks. I think that whole thing is brilliant Springsteen does it too. Great way to treat the fans. 

2 minutes ago, Spirit said:

I think it will contain ALL extras except the LPs. Not sure how it will come packaged.

5 minutes ago, Spirit said:

I suppose it's up to us, the fan community, to screw the band over and torrent/share the living hell out of the stuff that's only available at ridiculous prices. :lol: 

There are so many numbers being thrown around I’m getting confused on what’s what. If I could just get those disks of unreleased content then I’ll be good to go. Slightly interested in whatever this $180 deal is but I’m gonna need more details on it. I hope they’re absolutely clear with everything in this announcement in a few hours. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Spirit said:

Question then is... if the rumored $650 price tag is correct.

$470 to get the LPs?

And a load of paper, a few patches, some badges and some rings when you break it down there's an awful lot of stuff you dont need 

The best guess is that Super Deluxe for $180 will contain all the music package on the video plus the book. And the Locked N' Loaded box will contain all that plus the memorabilia/merch that will be numbered and collector's items (that's why the price will be much higher, also some of that stuff like the cross look expensive).

1 minute ago, GNRfanJen said:

There are so many numbers being thrown around I’m getting confused on what’s what. If I could just get those disks of unreleased content then I’ll be good to go. Slightly interested in whatever this $180 deal is but I’m gonna need more details on it. I hope they’re absolutely clear with everything in this announcement in a few hours. 

That's the thing: I'm sure everything will be clear when the timer runs out. 

Just now, Blackstar said:

The best guess is that Super Deluxe for $180 will contain all the music package on the video plus the book. And the Locked N' Loaded box will contain all that plus the memorabilia/merch that will be numbered and collector's items (that's why the price will be much higher, also some of that stuff like the cross look expensive).

That'd technically mean it offers $470 worth of crap. I'd expect the 180 version to contain less vinyl if anything. 

1 minute ago, username said:

I suppose it's up to us, the fan community, to screw the band over and torrent/share the living hell out of the stuff that's only available at ridiculous prices. :lol: 

To be fair, if the big fuck off box is $180 I might be tempted despite my earlier protestations but the track list is gonna have to be pretty fucking good. If it's north of $600 I'd rather just go to a couple of shows. I mean I spent (just) less than $600 on the two Vegas shows and I'd rather see something like that than pay a premium for a few demos and a bunch of posters that probably cost pennies to print. 

1 minute ago, Dazey said:

To be fair, if the big fuck off box is $180 I might be tempted despite my earlier protestations but the track list is gonna have to be pretty fucking good. If it's north of $600 I'd rather just go to a couple of shows. I mean I spent (just) less than $600 on the two Vegas shows and I'd rather see something like that than pay a premium for a few demos and a bunch of posters that probably cost pennies to print. 

There's absolutely no way on the earth that the box with everything is $180

2 minutes ago, username said:

Agreed. GnR is generally terrible at handling itself and releases. But credit where credit is due - the way they handled Troubadour was amazing and I think this in itself is generally well-done too. 

Pearl Jam also has the thing where you can buy digital soundboard live recordings of concerts through a website after going to shows right? I know Metallica and The Black Crowes do that too. I'm going to my first Pearl Jam show this summer and I'd love to get a soundboard recording of that for a few bucks. I think that whole thing is brilliant Springsteen does it too. Great way to treat the fans. 

Yeah.  Every single show.  They also have never played the same set list twice ever, whereas I could basically blindly sing backup for GnR at this point I know 'the show' so well.  I mean, don't get me wrong.  I love 'the show', but how many fucking times can you see 'the show' before it starts to get tired already.  It's like banging a super model for 25 years.  Still pretty great, but after the 7,000th time it starts to become difficult to get excited about.

In general, the 10 Club is simply incredible.  They reserve the best seats for all their members and do everything they can to get as many of them into each show as possible.  Scalping is completely verboten, incredibly hard to even do, and if you try and get caught they revoke the tickets, kick you out as a member, and will never sell you another ticket to any show ever again.

Again, musically it's hard for me to decide who is #1 and who is #2, but as far as how they run their whole operation it's honestly laughable how much better Pearl Jam is.

• Like 1

Just now, Dazey said:

For 600 I'd expect the firstborn children of all the bandmembers to be part of the sale. 

I MIGHT consider 180 for all the cd's and the vinyl. But I don't realistically expect that. 

In the end I just want all the songs. I don't care about the rest.