Appetite for Destruction Remastered General Thread

By reading this thread it lets you see the whole reason why they do cryptic shit like this. It gets people hyped up and talking. If they outright said what it was the effect wouldn't be nearly as big. It gets people talking.

I also think it's just an AFD remaster and not anything show related, that rumour has been around for a while already. Maybe the band wanted to be more involved in the remastering process and since they were on tour it didn't happen in time for last year.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Don't get excited about the original 5 happening. IMO if the original 5 was the plan and they've released billboards... Steven would be clued in and NOT bashing GNR in the press. My vote is that the original 5 is NOT happening (right now). 

Next run of shows and the run after that (my guess) will be the same band we've seen since 2016.

Absolutely this.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

By reading this thread it lets you see the whole reason why they do cryptic shit like this. It gets people hyped up and talking. If they outright said what it was the effect wouldn't be nearly as big. It gets people talking.

I also think it's just an AFD remaster and not anything show related, that rumour has been around for a while already. Maybe the band wanted to be more involved in the remastering process and since they were on tour it didn't happen in time for last year.

The hype about the possible AFD5 reunion is gone. What we have now is mixed reactions to a possible AFD remastered, some box set or radio channel. So I don't like cryptic shit at all

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Padme said:

The hype about the possible AFD5 reunion is gone. What we have now is mixed reactions to a possible AFD remastered, some box set or radio channel. So I don't like cryptic shit at all

Who "likes" cryptic shit? lol. One look at this GNR facebook group I'm in says otherwise because people are sure it's an AFD5reunion

Thanks @RussTCB  clearly this pig ain't flying since I don't see the original 5 doing anything for an extended time together. I would so rather have CD II but thid is clearly not that. Saying that, I'll get my copy of the remastered AFD the day it's released assuming that's what this is. 

As long as it’s not a AFD box set with the album and some pictures I’m fine. It can be a box set with the album, a 87-88 recording of a full show, and some other tangible stuff. I’m not going to sit there and look at a 87 gnr photo album though, but I’ll listen and watch some good material

• Like 3

Most likely it's a promo for the re-issue, especially if the web page is owned and set up by Universal... but my heart wants it to be pre-Download warm up show at the Roundhouse on the Friday night with the AFD line up, come on stage, no fucking about, AFD all the way through and leave... and then full AFD line up at Download for AFD in full then 4tus, FF replace for rest of set... dreams can come true?!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Carburetta said:

Appetite remaster makes no sense since it’s already perfect? What’s the point? Do bands actually do that?

No one is repainting the Mona Lisa and releasing it in to the art world as a big deal.

Anniversary editions are pretty common among bands of GNR's status (and even less popular bands).

Sometimes you get remasters that simply bring the original performance up to modern loudness levels (Megadeth) or you have remixes that address issues with the original sources (Metallica) or you get releases that do those things plus include the original demos (Whitesnake, Motley Crue) or you get bonus tracks of modern do-overs of the old songs as a bonus disc (Sixx:Am). 

Given the historical importance of AFD to the genre, it's actually weird that the album has gone more than 30 years without some type of special edition release. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

We really can argue about their marketing though. It's fucking shit. Their primary marketing channels over the past three years have been billboards, some radio streams and subpar social community engagement. They constantly over-promise and under-deliver, which is exacerbated by the limited channels. 'Massive announcement'? A couple of new tour dates. AFD 30th anniversary? A streamed concert which is no different to the others on the NITL tour. AFD billboards? You bet your arse it will be a box set with nothing worthwhile.

Welcome to the GNR world! :lol:

14 minutes ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

We really can argue about their marketing though. It's fucking shit. Their primary marketing channels over the past three years have been billboards, some radio streams and subpar social community engagement. They over-promise and under-deliver, which is exacerbated by these limited channels. 'Massive announcement'? A couple of new tour dates. AFD 30th anniversary? A streamed concert which is no different to the others on the NITL tour. AFD billboards? You bet your arse it will be a box set with nothing worthwhile.

Though I disagree, I think you're more upset about lacking content than marketing.

As for marketing, I think they've done a good job. They're getting the message out in a no-nonsense way through social media - which is the main way to go these days.

Billboards... GN'R are of the few who did a creative job before announcing the NITL tour. They got acknowledgement from the industry for the way they did that.

Radio streams... maybe less than before or less than other bands. I think social media is more powerful these days anyways.

You forgot to mention the fact that they teased the reunion announcement in cinemas, putting an ad before Force Awakens.

• Like 1