Appetite for Destruction Remastered General Thread

Nightrain is just commencing and I can detect no discernible difference haha. 

PS

The most I am able to conclude is that the guitars are a bit louder and more defined, but this is really one of the most unnecessary remasters ever. 

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, RussTCB said:

That's a big difference to my ears. Some of it for the better, some of it for worse. My biggest takeaway so far has been there seems to be no uniformity. Each track almost sounds like someone different did the remaster. I know that's not the case, but it almost sounds like that to me.

What format are you listening to (vinyl, CD, etc)? I've only streamed it and I don't hear much of a difference. Is there more difference with the physical copies?

4 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

What format are you listening to (vinyl, CD, etc)? I've only streamed it and I don't hear much of a difference. Is there more difference with the physical copies?

Get the HD Tracks [192kHz/24bit] If your system can play them. These are better quality then the CDs [44.1Khz/16bit] 

not sure if this has been mentioned in previous posts but does anyone think the remaster doesn't have the same volume as the old CDs ? i mostly listen to my CDs in the car and ive tried to turn the remaster up a few times only to find the volume is already on full. im sure the old unremastered CD i have plays louder 

5 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

I listened to it on Tidal MQA followed by vinyl. 

On 07/07/2018 at 12:45 PM, donny said:

not sure if this has been mentioned in previous posts but does anyone think the remaster doesn't have the same volume as the old CDs ? i mostly listen to my CDs in the car and ive tried to turn the remaster up a few times only to find the volume is already on full. im sure the old unremastered CD i have plays louder 

The remaster is louder than the original CD by quite a bit. 

On 06/07/2018 at 4:17 PM, Towelie said:

Maybe I have unsophisticated ears, but am I the only one who doesn't hear much of a difference in the remastering? I swear it's all a big con. My only interest in this release lies in the bonus content.

There a differences but it doesn't sound any better than the original release imo so it was a pointless remaster. The guitars being louder is the main thing that this remaster changed imo, whether that was intentional or just a result of compression is debatable lol. 

Take a look at the Instagram story. Looks like there are also (remastered?) cassettes

Edit: It's also on Facebook

https://m.facebook.com/gunsnroses/photos/a.10152512548418069.1073741830.10901008068/10156583249888069/?type=3&notif_id=1531057711849192&notif_t=notify_me_page&ref=notif

Edited by BadApples99

I’ll tell you what, the $30 I spent for the iTunes downloads is money well, well spent. All these demos sound amazing thru either my Beats or even stock earbuds. And I’ve never been technologically gifted enough to have songs like HH or JJF, or all these other demo versions of stuff in my collection. It’s truly like having an early days new album on my iPod. Love it! 👍

• Like 1

Maybe my understanding is off but from what I remember, but wasn't Lies recorded in a day? You're Crazy, Used to Love Her, Patience, One in a Million. I remember reading interviews where this was stated. In the liner notes, different days are listed. 

11 hours ago, Chris 55 said:

Maybe my understanding is off but from what I remember, but wasn't Lies recorded in a day? You're Crazy, Used to Love Her, Patience, One in a Million. I remember reading interviews where this was stated. In the liner notes, different days are listed. 

yes this is what struck me when I was making the chart.

but it indeed seems it was recorded in 3 separate sessions and quite a distant time apart.

the information is really confusing and sometimes contradicting. 

if you check the original Lies booklet, you'll find that there were 3 recording studios, without any precise information about which dates, which songs, just 3 studios with their names.

for a long time, it was thought that Lies have been completely recorded sometimes in 1988 in Rumbo studios, but it seems nobody managed to read the booklet properly.

now the new liner notes surprised us, saying Patience and alternate take of Crazy (released at WTTJ single) were recorded way back in Take One, then UTLH + Crazy + the "new" MTTC were recorded in Image Studios. 

the missing song from AFD SDE is One In A Million, so by my simple logic that one was recorded in Rumbo Studios.

then there are 3 unreleased songs - alternate takes of OIAM, UTLH and Cornshucker - while the latter two seem to be connected so they must have been recorded in the same session. 

if OIAM alternate was recorded together with UTLH+Cornshucker is unknown, highly possible but not confirmed.

now, to make things more complicated, there's an account by one bootlegger - which might be inaccurate and sourced from other assumptions, but still here it is:

These are the outtakes from the GN'R Lies session. They did it all in one day just sitting around with acoustic guitars. 
Patience is the same take they used on the album before it was completely mixed so it's hard to hear anything different about it. 
They must have been so satisfied the way they did it the first time that they didn't bother doing it over. The 4th track is actually 2 songs, Used to Love Her and Cornshucker. 
They left that latter off the album.

Rumbo Studios
???? 1988
Producer:

Patience (5:56)
Outtake???

One in a Million (6:32)
There is talking at the beginning addressing Mike Clink asking if he’s ready
Axl does not whistle during the intro
There is no distorted third guitar just two acoustics
In the first verse Axl sings “I need some piece of mind” instead of “needed”
During the second chorus he doesn’t reverse “You know that you are” and “You’re a shooting star”
Axl continues to sing over the solo

You’re Crazy (4:26)
Axl shouts, “One, two!” right before the song starts
He only sings “You know you’re crazy” throughout the choruses instead of “You’re fuckin’ crazy”
Axl makes a lot of noises over the double time before the solo

Used To Love Her (1:30)
Axl counts off the song in Spanish
The song is played only to second chorus

Cornshucker (4:20)
Duff sings lead vocals and Axl joins on the choruses
Although the song didn’t end up on GN’R Lies it was played live once at the Limelight in New York, NY on January 31, 1988

the Crazy recording from this list is the alternate take from WTTJ single, or more precisely of the latter WTTJ single version, released in October 1988.

and if the new liner notes are to be trusted, then Patience and Crazy alt. take is not from the Rumbo sessions.

weird and confusing shit...

On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 12:29 PM, zombux said:

yes this is what struck me when I was making the chart.

but it indeed seems it was recorded in 3 separate sessions and quite a distant time apart.

the information is really confusing and sometimes contradicting. 

if you check the original Lies booklet, you'll find that there were 3 recording studios, without any precise information about which dates, which songs, just 3 studios with their names.

for a long time, it was thought that Lies have been completely recorded sometimes in 1988 in Rumbo studios, but it seems nobody managed to read the booklet properly.

now the new liner notes surprised us, saying Patience and alternate take of Crazy (released at WTTJ single) were recorded way back in Take One, then UTLH + Crazy + the "new" MTTC were recorded in Image Studios. 

the missing song from AFD SDE is One In A Million, so by my simple logic that one was recorded in Rumbo Studios.

then there are 3 unreleased songs - alternate takes of OIAM, UTLH and Cornshucker - while the latter two seem to be connected so they must have been recorded in the same session. 

if OIAM alternate was recorded together with UTLH+Cornshucker is unknown, highly possible but not confirmed.

now, to make things more complicated, there's an account by one bootlegger - which might be inaccurate and sourced from other assumptions, but still here it is:

the Crazy recording from this list is the alternate take from WTTJ single, or more precisely of the latter WTTJ single version, released in October 1988.

and if the new liner notes are to be trusted, then Patience and Crazy alt. take is not from the Rumbo sessions.

weird and confusing shit...

Are those songs that the bootlegger described available anywhere? I'm curious to hear them

11 hours ago, Chris 55 said:

Are those songs that the bootlegger described available anywhere? I'm curious to hear them

what do you mean, those unreleased Lies sessions tracks? yeah, Alan Niven tapes. either look for them on YouTube, or some people in the Download section had them uploaded. it's nothing "hidden" :)