Appetite for Destruction Remastered General Thread

10 minutes ago, Nikki_Sixx said:

Can we please STOP with the 're-recording' nonense about 'Shadow Of Your Love' ??? 

- It is NOT re-recorded, not the music, not the vocals.  There's a lick in the snippet that we haven't heard, the rest is STRAIGHT OUTTA 1986 !!!

- It is NOT the Mike Clink version or Sound City demo, it's the officially released Pasha version, the one we've had for years (without the fake crowd noise, remastered and/or remixed) !!!

If you CANNOT tell the difference between Axl '86 and Axl '16, YOU HAVE A SERIOUS HEARING DISORDER !!! :facepalm:

Slash's guitar fill before the singing is completely different in the Pasha version. 

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

11 minutes ago, Nikki_Sixx said:

Can we please STOP with the 're-recording' nonense about 'Shadow Of Your Love' ??? 

- It is NOT re-recorded, not the music, not the vocals.  There's a lick in the snippet that we haven't heard, the rest is STRAIGHT OUTTA 1986 !!!

- It is NOT the Mike Clink version or Sound City demo, it's the officially released Pasha version, the one we've had for years (without the fake crowd noise, remastered and/or remixed) !!!

If you CANNOT tell the difference between Axl '86 and Axl '16, YOU HAVE A SERIOUS HEARING DISORDER !!! :facepalm:

Okay so if it's not the Mike Clink version but that Pasha one..how come that lick is there then that wasn't there before? I mean it would make sense they maybe played different parts if it was a completely different version (Mikes) but if it's an old one..how would one explain that? Or maybe they combined different snipptes of versions just for that preview? I think you can hear it cut to a different part of the song instead of it being a straight sample from a track

And I don't think anyone else asked this: who would do the remaster? Did they go back to Mike Clink for it?

The branding strategy at play here is a bit baffling.

You have a reunion which features Axl, Slash and Duff but not Izzy and Steven.

You promote this reunion with a boxset celebrating an album which was mostly written by Izzy Stradlin, and which has Steven on drums and with a "new song" that was co-written by Izzy and not at all written by Slash which has Izzy and Steven on it.

Wouldn't the more sensible route have been the Greatest Hits idea - a collection that Axl/Slash/Duff agreed upon, plus two new studio songs to introduce the current lineup? THEN, after that, do remasters of all the albums.

It just seems like this band's strategy is so ass-backwards.

Edited by Fashionista
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Fashionista said:

The branding strategy at play here is a bit baffling.

You have a reunion which features Axl, Slash and Duff but not Izzy and Steven.

You promote this reunion with a boxset celebrating an album which was mostly written by Izzy Stradlin, and which has Steven on drums and with a "new song" that was co-written by Izzy and not at all written by Slash which has Izzy and Steven on it.

Wouldn't the more sensible route have been the Greatest Hits idea - a collection that Axl/Slash/Duff agreed upon, plus two new studio songs to introduce the current lineup? THEN, after that, do remasters of all the albums.

It just seems like this band's strategy is so ass-backwards.

Izzy and Adler don't have to be in the band to celebrate an album/era from when they were.

1 minute ago, Stress Fracture said:

SOYL is surely more than a simple remaster and if they can make an 80s demo sound like that, I hope they’ve done it for the Live Like a Suicide tracks too.

It sounds like it came straight off of Appetite. It fits effortlessly among the other songs in the advertisement. I think it could be a studio copy we never heard before, but has been remastered. It would explain some of the alterations in comparison to some of the other demos (like Slash, and some of the lyrics).

4 minutes ago, Stress Fracture said:

SOYL is surely more than a simple remaster and if they can make an 80s demo sound like that, I hope they’ve done it for the Live Like a Suicide tracks too.

That's what I'm thinking. That doesn't sound like a 30 year old demo. 

2 minutes ago, Gunsdrummer63 said:

Anyone else still holding out hope the announcement tomorrow includes at least 1 show with the original 5? That would blindside everyone

a soundboard quality early show would be the highlight of the entire disography.

the thread is getting to big to find info after a sleep so can i have a catch up on what we know ?

is SOYL deffo being released as a single ? if so how do you know ?

why is a patience single in the box, is it an 80s era box and not an AFD box ? could this mean that LIES will no longer be sold ?

Just now, donny said:

the thread is getting to big to find info after a sleep so can i have a catch up on what we know ?

is SOYL deffo being released as a single ? if so how do you know ?

why is a patience single in the box, is it an 80s era box and not an AFD box ? could this mean that LIES will no longer be sold ?

On SOYL: It is being debuted tomorrow on Australian radio, and the highest-viewed demo on Youtube has been removed by UMG on copyright grounds.

20 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Slash's guitar fill before the singing is completely different in the Pasha version. 

That's exactly what I said ... :facepalm:

17 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Okay so if it's not the Mike Clink version but that Pasha one..how come that lick is there then that wasn't there before? I mean it would make sense they maybe played different parts if it was a completely different version (Mikes) but if it's an old one..how would one explain that? Or maybe they combined different snipptes of versions just for that preview? I think you can hear it cut to a different part of the song instead of it being a straight sample from a track

And I don't think anyone else asked this: who would do the remaster? Did they go back to Mike Clink for it?

Because they went back to the master tapes, and found stuff on the reels that wasn't used on the previously released versions ?  Then remix, remaster, and you're done !

Or they've added it recently, which is BLASPHEMY !

But the rest of the music and vocals in the snippet is STRAIGHT OUTTA PASHA '86 !

Why am I still discussing this ?   Can you seriously not tell the difference between something that you've been hearing for 30 years, and something you've never heard before ?   Just because there's no crowd noise, and it's remixed/remastered so it's sounds a tad more modern ? That's just sad ...

Edited by Nikki_Sixx

Just now, GNRfanJen said:

I personally enjoy SOYL so I think it’s cool they’re doing this for this song. Is there another song you guys would have preferred them push and promote rather than SOYL? 

The song I'm most interested in is "The Plague", I hope that's included, and isn't just an instrumental.

• GNFNR 1

Guess I'll share my opinion, cause why the heck not. 

Obviously this is much better than nothing. It's a nice gesture especially for the AFD purists. It's cool to have something to chew on while they're working on new material, new AC/DC and Conspirators stuff or what ever they're working on. It's clear that we won't be getting a brand new GNR album anytime soon, so it's cool that we get at least this.

Still, if I'm completely honest, I'm not that excited about this. Never had any problems with the AFD sound, so I don't necessarily need a remaster. Never been a big fan of the unreleased demos. They're interesting curiosities, but I feel like there's a reason why they didn't end up on the actual album.

Now if we're actually gonna get some new old songs that we've never heard before, THAT is something that I could get excited about. That's brand new music for us after all. (INot sure if it's already confirmed that we're getting never before heard music or not. We're getting new updates so fast that it's hard to keep up with it) Anyway, I'm always more than happy to hear GNR songs that I've never heard before. Don't know how much I have faith in old unreleased GNR demos though, since I'm not a big fan of those that we've heard.

All in all I'm much more excited about what this current version of GNR could offer. In fact it feels almost embarrassing that Shadow Of Your Love will be released as a single. Most casuals will listen to that shit and think: "WTF, is this the best they can do? Sounds like a parody of old GNR or something". Guess I would have hoped that GNR returns with an amazing new song that sounds kinda like old school GNR, but with a much more modern touch. Shadow Of Your Love sounds more like a terribly dated hair metal song. And if I'm honest I actually hope that radio stations won't play it much. Shadow of your Love is not the kind of a song that I want people to associate my favorite band with. It sound like everything that GNR was at it's worst.

Now this is just my opinion though and I don't want to ruin the enjoyment for anyone else. This is cool, but not something that I'm all that interested about. I want brand new GNR music. Still, like I said, this is better than nothing.

• GNFNR 2

I'm pretty sure the Blu-ray is going to be the Ritz-88 MTV show there's very little else that is around from that era the pro-shot.

Interesting collection of demos from soundcity and stuff, glad to see it happening.

However it pretty much confirms GnR as a legacy act at this point, they did the reunion tour and now are re-issueing a load of old demos and off-cuts (which is fine) to basically be able to tour for another year or two. After that they'll probably give Izzy and Steven all the $$ and go on a AFD5 reunion tour - live BD/DVD/CD of those shows. Nothing new is coming I fear.