gunsguy

Destruction Is Coming - gnr.fm - follow the thread for updates!

If there is a more expensive locked n loaded version I'd like to see that just contain the vinyls as extras, and the $180 version have everything else.

11 minutes ago, Spirit said:

Maybe. But it says Super Deluxe Edition in the video as well.

The items that are listed under Super Deluxe on the video are the 4 CDs, the Blu-Ray and the book. So maybe it's without the vinyls?

But then again, the price difference between AFD Deluxe $19.98 (2 CDs) and AFD Super Deluxe ($179.98) is too big for just being about 2 more CDs, a Blu-Ray and the book. Or maybe it will have the memorabilia/gadgets too but not the vinyls?

Edited by Blackstar

I’m pretty underwhelmed to be honest.

After years of cash grab touring, then a cash grab reunion tour, we now got a cash grab on the back catelogue.

Ill went to the shows, and I’ll still buy this ..... But....  It all just feels very corporate

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Saltzy said:

I don't even have an issue with the product itself.  It actually looks pretty badass, and any die hard fan would obviously love to have one.

What I have an issue with is setting up a dedicated website with a fucking countdown clock and way markers you need to active GPS on your phone for and shit to follow.... all for a fucking box set.

This band KILLED it with how they handled the Troubadour show.  Having a super secret location you needed to be at to score insanely limited tickets to their 1st show back together at a small club they cut their teeth in, and handing out limited edition collectors versions of the tickets to the crowd as they stood in line to get in.  Fucking badass.  I couldn't have loved that any more.

Outside of the Vegas shows afterwards, which were also amazing, I basically loathe how this band has handled everything since.

I disagree. In fact I think this marketing campaign is pretty brilliant. I have 2 issues though. 

1. For a normal band that has released an album in the past 2 or even 5 years, this would make sense. However, because GnR releases are less common than bigfoot sightings you'd sort of expect this to be for a new album rather than a re-issue. That's a classic case of GnR being it's own worst enemy. If they actually had put out an album recently, people would all agree this is brilliant. Now they're divided. 

2. The product itself and it's pricing. It's not just a GnR thing. Recently Pink Floyd did it too. I think 600+ is absolutely ridiculous. I'm wondering what the "regular" releases will be and how they'll be priced. So I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now. But for a release this widely marketed, you need a more accessable product at a more accessable price. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

The items that are listed under Super Deluxe on the video are the 4 CDs, the Blu-Ray and the book. So maybe it's without the vinyls?

But then again, the price difference between AFD Deluxe $19.98 (2 CDs) and AFD Super Deluxe ($179.98) is too big for just being about 2 more CDs, a Blu-Ray and the book.

I thought the same. 20 bucks for two discs, then 160 bucks for 3 discs and a book seems on the steep side.

Edited by Spirit
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Italian girl said:

I would have liked a DVD of the NiTL tour...

maybe 2046

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Gackt said:

Hmm, if it's just a 2-disc version before a $180 boxset that'd be disappointing; makes me expect Live Like a Suicide & the B-Sides compilation to be packaged separately.

I agree. I'm sort of expecting the 180 set to be all the vinyl and I'm hoping for 2-disc and 4-disc cd sets. But realistically the "normal" release could just be AFD and the B-Sides & EP's disc. Which would be a huge disappointment to me. 

It's also related to this: 

How will they divide things over discs... Will there be LP-only USB-only tracks? 

If a 2-disc set is the only affordable option I'll be perfectly fine torrenting the fuck out of the rest. 

Edited by username

Just now, Sanomatovic said:

I saw the video as soon as I woke up so I didnt get it all.

Can someone explain what's "the book"?

96 page picture book with pictures from Axl's archive.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Spirit said:

if you're right that'd be awesome, and i'm definitely buying

14 minutes ago, Spirit said:

If Guns are releasing that box with all the gear in it for 179 !! That's a hell of deal ... but I think based on some similar box sets , in the uk it could be circa 300ish 

5 minutes ago, Spirit said:

I thought the same. 20 bucks for two discs, then 160 bucks for 3 discs and a book seems on the steep side.

Maybe Super Deluxe will also have the memorabilia, but not the vinyls? Or some of the vinyls but not all and not the memorabilia?

And still, the difference this time between the Super Deluxe for $179 and the rumoured price for Locked N' Loaded ($650) is too big if it's only for the vinyls.

So maybe Locked N' Loaded won't be that expensive.

Edited by Blackstar

16 minutes ago, Spirit said:

No, it says the box contains the super deluxe edition. The box set is called locked n loaded

What are peoples thoughts on the dots on the map?

We've got 4 in the UK.

3 minutes ago, username said:

I disagree. In fact I think this marketing campaign is pretty brilliant. I have 2 issues though. 

1. For a normal band that has released an album in the past 2 or even 5 years, this would make sense. However, because GnR releases are less common than bigfoot sightings you'd sort of expect this to be for a new album rather than a re-issue. That's a classic case of GnR being it's own worst enemy. If they actually had put out an album recently, people would all agree this is brilliant. Now they're divided. 

2. The product itself and it's pricing. It's not just a GnR thing. Recently Pink Floyd did it too. I think 600+ is absolutely ridiculous. I'm wondering what the "regular" releases will be and how they'll be priced. So I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now. But for a release this widely marketed, you need a more accessable product at a more accessable price. 

Not to continue referencing Pearl Jam here, but I would basically give a kidney for Eddie to lock himself in a room with Axl and be like, "Dude.  Dude.  There is a right way to do this and a wrong way to do this.  Why are you guys fucking addicted to doing it the wrong way?"

I like both bands equally when it comes to the music, but watching how each one operates their business over the course of like 25 years has been fucking spectacular to witness.

Just now, B17NNS said:

We've got 4 in the UK.

Try reading the thread. It's all been explained. 

• Haha 2

Just now, Axl_morris said:

No, it says the box contains the super deluxe edition. The box set is called locked n loaded

Like we discussed above, it doesn't add up.

There's now a deluxe version for $20, which is 2 discs.

The super deluxe is $180, and only contains 3 more discs and a book?

1 minute ago, Saltzy said:

I like both bands equally when it comes to the music, but watching how each one operates their business over the course of like 25 years has been fucking spectacular to witness.

Me too. I like the two bands in the same way.
but the difference between how PJ (and also Metallica) works and GNR ... could have learned a lot from them.

2 minutes ago, B17NNS said:

We've got 4 in the UK.

I found one earlier...

IMG_20180503_170157.jpg

• Like 3

Just now, Saltzy said:

Not to continue referencing Pearl Jam here, but I would basically give a kidney for Eddie to lock himself in a room with Axl and be like, "Dude.  Dude.  There is a right way to do this and a wrong way to do this.  Why are you guys fucking addicted to doing it the wrong way?"

Agreed. GnR is generally terrible at handling itself and releases. But credit where credit is due - the way they handled Troubadour was amazing and I think this in itself is generally well-done too. 

Pearl Jam also has the thing where you can buy digital soundboard live recordings of concerts through a website after going to shows right? I know Metallica and The Black Crowes do that too. I'm going to my first Pearl Jam show this summer and I'd love to get a soundboard recording of that for a few bucks. I think that whole thing is brilliant Springsteen does it too. Great way to treat the fans.