If GNR Came Out Today, Or Was Still Young

21 minutes ago, marunic said:

Would they be able to make an impact on today's society? Or would they just be some underground thing?

Nope. The mysoginistic stuff would bury them first attempt to sell that stuff.

It's a different world now. They are lucky they became popular when they did.

They would definitely be mainstream. Rock is in the toilet right now, but that’s not to say that fans aren’t hungry for someone in the mold of a modern day GnR. I’m 25 so I was being born as Guns were fizzling away. From what’s been described to me, they were THE band back in the day. They wouldn’t sit atop the throne solo today, but they would definitely be well received.

It’s my opinion that cover to cover AFD is the best rock album ever. But the Illusions records would fit a little more into the mold of what today’s audience is looking for. There’s some synth and what not, but not too much. Ironically, I think their most popular song in today’s industry would one they haven’t even released: Crash Diet. It’d fit in great released today.

Edited by MattyIce3924

They were a product of their times, part of a scene that was relevant and mattered.  That scene no longer exists.  We'd all like to think so, but who really knows.  

It's not enough to be exceptionally great these days to make it.  You have catch some breaks as well.  And who's to say that they would have been able to write and operate like the did were they young and hungry in 2018.

Regardless, I'm glad they made it when they did.  It was fun being 13 years old and having my favourite bands be relevant and driving culture.  I feel bad for the kids today, but then again, I'm sure the generation before mine said the same thing about my generation.  

• Like 2

Probably not as much as back then because times are different, but they still would have gotten attention because of the songs.

People who say that rock is dead are not paying attention. It's less popular compared to previous decades, but rock will never die and there will always be good rock bands around.

24 minutes ago, downzy said:

They were a product of their times, part of a scene that was relevant and mattered.  That scene no longer exists.  We'd all like to think so, but who really knows.  

It's not enough to be exceptionally great these days to make it.  You have catch some breaks as well.  And who's to say that they would have been able to write and operate like the did were they young and hungry in 2018.

Regardless, I'm glad they made it when they did.  It was fun being 13 years old and having my favourite bands be relevant and driving culture.  I feel bad for the kids today, but then again, I'm sure the generation before mine said the same thing about my generation.  

MTV was such a big factor in so many bands making it back then. It definitely was a different time. I really do miss it. I'm not even 40 yet but when I try to describe how different things are now  to my daughters they makes me feel so old :lol:

Edited by Tourettes2400
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Tourettes2400 said:

MTV was such a big factor in so many bands making it back then. It definitely was a different time. I really do miss it. I'm not even 40 yet but when I try to describe how different things are now  to my daughters they makes me feel so old :lol:

Totally different world/society, no prevalence of cell phones and computers, not nearly as Politically correct. 

I miss MTV and VH1 - when they actually played music and covered Rock news. 

6 minutes ago, Tourettes2400 said:

I can relate, lol.  But that's what is great about music, it's timeless and will outlast all of us.

Would they be who they were in the 80s though? 

I mean if they were young now, 20 something's, they would have grown up and been educated in a different time.

Not sure how much mysoginistic and homophobic are boys today. I've started to see some change in mind in younger generations. 

2 hours ago, killuridols said:

Would they be who they were in the 80s though? 

I mean if they were young now, 20 something's, they would have grown up and been educated in a different time.

Not sure how much mysoginistic and homophobic are boys today. I've started to see some change in mind in younger generations. 

See hip hop for plenty of mysoginistic music today.

If Axl were born in 1990 and a guy tried to rape him in 2007, in sure he'd have developed the same feelings about gays.

The only song that would have had no chance of a release in modern times is OIAM. All the others are fine.

36 minutes ago, Gnrcane said:

See hip hop for plenty of mysoginistic music today.

If Axl were born in 1990 and a guy tried to rape him in 2007, in sure he'd have developed the same feelings about gays.

The only song that would have had no chance of a release in modern times is OIAM. All the others are fine.

But being gay doesnt equal being a rapist :shrugs:

That is a very ignorant thing to say. Males are mostly raped by heterosexual depraved males.

As for hip-hop, I think it is more "accepted" in the black community to be mysoginistic and black women are still fighting to change it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tourettes2400 said:

Well I am 40 lol and yeah MTV was such a huge ass part of pop/rock culture back then. I watched the live premiere of November Rain on MTV. The anticipation even just for a music video was tremendous and soooo exciting! Man MTV was the bomb back then! 

• GNFNR 1

7 hours ago, killuridols said:

But being gay doesnt equal being a rapist :shrugs:

That is a very ignorant thing to say. Males are mostly raped by heterosexual depraved males.

Where did I ever say that being gay equals being a rapist.  Clearly, Axl's issues with gays back then stemmed from the incident that he spoke about at the St. Louis show.  I said that IF he had the same experience in 2007, it would have had the same effect on him.