Your thoughts on the Shadow of your Love single?

It never even occurred to me about the video, I guess because I don't care about that sort of thing anymore.  I think I only watched it all the way once to see the lyrics then played the song while I did other things.

I can see being disappointed if you were looking forward to a video, I never was.

3 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

It is a good song, just like it was a good song when I first heard it in the late 1980s. 

What is going on with the video? The skeleton doesn't move. He is just in the scene like a shop window dummy. 

i think thats the animations they were talking about for the bluray

4 hours ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

One thing that I feel IS possible (that nobody is talking about), is that Axl himself stated that with Slash and Duff back in the band he enjoys the old songs a lot more than he has for a while. On top of that, the whole ACDC thing (because all they do is play straight up rock and roll), he might finally be over his whole "CD approach" he's been on for the last 20 years. This Shadow of your love is a good sign imo. Call me crazy, but I have more faith than I've had for a long time. 

I'm calling it now, after the Myles and ACDC stuff concludes (if the ACDC thing is even real), I think we WILL get a new album. I think this SOYL is indicative of what's to come. I'm thinking songs like Bring it back home, the unfinished 96 stuff, some CD leftovers will be the next album. I think it's being discussed at this moment.

Yeah they emulated female backing vocals here and it happened galore only few years latter. They paste immense crowd noise onto studio recordings and it happened for real fast fwd couple of years (UYI tour). If this be a projection on their behalf it will happen too. We are all doing it actually (only sometimes we are not aware of it).

Funny thing is, for the 5th time today I am opening the damn youtube and playing that song. Comments below are _overwhelmingly_ positive. Notice most of them don't even know (or care to know) is it an old or new number, they don't nerd about technicalities or what not. That got to amount for something (affirmation or what have you).

48 minutes ago, Colossus of Rhodes said:

Yeah they emulated female backing vocals here and it happened galore only few years latter. They paste immense crowd noise onto studio recordings and it happened for real fast fwd couple of years (UYI tour). If this be a projection on their behalf it will happen too. We are all doing it actually (only sometimes we are not aware of it).

Funny thing is, for the 5th time today I am opening the damn youtube and playing that song. Comments below are _overwhelmingly_ positive. Notice most of them don't even know (or care to know) is it an old or new number, they don't nerd about technicalities or what not. That got to amount for something (affirmation or what have you).

Yeah it's doing well on YouTube. Who knows how it's doing on the charts? And yeah people just want to hear something, the comments and responses are evidence of that. 

I will seriously get a laugh if it takes off and Guns manages to spark a fire off of the fumes of this pre appetite song. That would be unique to say the least.

1 hour ago, tremolo said:

What innuendos and double meanings?

The lyrics on AG are very one-dimensional and very puerile, 100% sleazy cockrock. What other (non-sexual) interpretations can you make of the lyrics?

Well I'm not saying it's NOT sleazy "cock rock," but IT DOES contain a lot of double meanings. 

The word debris, can be taken literally. But it ALSO sounds like "in the breeze". Which if you have your "ass in the the breeze" you are clearly butt naked, bent over, probably getting serviced. "Doin that grime with the push and squeeze" can also be taken literally as in, she is cleaning the grimy debree that's on the floor that was spoken about in the previous line, which she is cleaning it with "push and squeeze" obviously meaning she is scrubbing the floor. But it ALSO can be taken as she is doing some "pushing and squeezing" as in sex. Finally my personal favorite of the verse "you can be my Rubbermaid baby, we can do it all". Which (if memory serves) wasn't that an actual line used to sell Rubbermaid? "It can do it all". But then it can be taken as she is his "rubbermaid" as in he uses a lot of "rubbers" (condoms) on her. For which they "do it all" meaning every sexual desire Axl has, this girl let's him do to her. (Which on a side note, when you find a girl like that, it's pretty awesome. So I can relate 😉)

Honestly I've always felt it was a brilliant verse. Ya sure it's just sleazy "cock rock," but that doesn't mean it isn't brilliant. I put it up there with Zeppelins Trampled Under Foot for GREAT sexual innuendo lyrics. Which it isn't the ONLY one on Appetite that's like that, in case you didn't know, the proper line in Welcome to the Jungle isn't "I wanna hear you scream." It's actually "I wanna hear yous CREAM" Which again, that's a great line that most people get wrong.

I've loved that verse in Anything Goes, but I've never actually had to break it down like this before. 👍

Edited by Iron MikeyJ
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I like everything except the way Axl's vocals sound.

I've heard the Suicide version so many hundreds of times that it's weird to hear it like this. Part of it is how he isn't giving it a hundred percent and the other part is the relatively unsophisticated production of it. Little reverb or dynamic on the actual vocals.

Then again, this was a demo and was always intended just to see how Mike Clink would handle the sound, so I have to keep in mind that if Axl isn't screaming his head off in this one and drawing out the words, it's probably because he didn't intend to. 

4 minutes ago, tony adler said:

Suckerpunch, when and what part of the country did u hear it on the radio?

I live in the US north of Chicago by about 100 miles. I heard it on the radio station 95.1 WIIL rock. At 420p each day they have the 420 hit of the day. The host said there was very few passes. Google the station and they have it linked up on their site. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Derick said:

Not for certain bc we have no official datails about that but I put some ears plug and I can hear her, it’s her backing vocals, her voice.

I have to agree, really sounds like her voice. Also, there's pretty clear (if you hear carefully) that there's some new layers, mostly guitars. They sound "outside" the general sound and i don't think it is the mix, i think it is new because of the sound, absolutely different. BTW, i really love this version.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

It's quite clearly early Axl, though i do hear some parts which may have been edited for effect (like the 'ugh' after the second chorus).

yes, the scream "OH NO" and the "MMM..." at 1m51s mark sound really not like the rest of the vocals

it really seems like axl live-eraid this take AT LEAST on these two little parts

slash, on the other hand, it seems like he live-eraid a lot of it

if those lead parts are from the original tapes, then they have been so poorly mixed that it sounds completely alien to the song

in that case, i suppose slash had free reins in the mixing desk and kept on saying "louder, louder" to whoever was handling the thing

Edited by ludurigan

1 minute ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

673652CD-71C9-4E30-8A51-636516225483.jpeg.650980b1a63cbd97a87eca91825beac7.jpeg

I dont want to start speculating..but I will. She probably meant that the song has nothing new added, as far as the structure of the song goes is the original song. 

I do hear some words pronounced differently from the demo, the last “sha na na na na” at the very end sound different to me. I could be wrong. Or they just pulled from a different take they had.

17 hours ago, username said:

It's funny how everybody is SO sure about stuff they can't possibly know for sure. 

I don't care about any of that though. It sounds good and that's all I care about. 

that may not be your case, but some of us have been listening to this band for our entire lives

i noticed live era had fake vocals in a matter of minutes

it was REALLY easy to tell

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

that may not be your case, but some of us have been listening to this band for our entire lives

i noticed live era had fake vocals in a matter of minutes

it was REALLY easy to tell

Indeed!!! I remember i was like... wtf happend here? this is the speech intro for Estranged but the vocals are... what is this? LOL

6 minutes ago, bigpoop said:

Sad that people have to go to Slash's girlfriend to ask a question about this. What other band would put out a thousand dollar box set and say nothing about it?

Yeah, i know it is hard, but GN'R is not a regular R&R band, it is something from a parallel universe and things there are pretty different XD

Anyway, if there's a legal issue about re-recording it Megan is not going to tell us "yeah, my boyfriend recorded some new things here and there".

So, yes, maybe a little conspirative but i think this is a mix of old and new recordings, including some extra (female) voices on the back.

Edited by fernomenoyde