Your thoughts on the Shadow of your Love single?

13 minutes ago, Gnrcane said:

Who re-did the guitar parts since Slash's girlfriend said that he didn't? Buckethead?

Why does everyone refuse to believe that it is a reprocessed/remastered version of an old demo? Don't you think if any of it was new that they would promote that to sell more downloads/drive more views?

Axl's voice sounds basically the same as the old Hollywood Rose demos. The "female" backing vocals sound just like Duff on WTTJ.

Stop using logic, reason and evidence!!   Can't you see people just want to BELIEVE whatever they FEEL??  Their emotions are more important than facts.  Don't piss in their Cheerios.

Edited by estrangedtwat

9 minutes ago, Underhardy said:

I mean, more consistently less impressive now...

Well yeah whenever he's not straining his voice it's not going to be forced and have that same attack, but he never really did anything correct back in the day and that's why his voice would blow out. 

Even in AC//DC when he was singing a half step up each song he was able to maintain the consistency. He just older now and more cautious and disciplined with what he's doing. 

Edited by Order of Nine

44 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

Yeah I don't believe that for a minute. I've been listening to this song over and over at work and in the car since it was released and every time it plays I'm more convinced that there's rerecorded parts present, and not just a couple little overdubs here and there.

Disclosure: I don't normally make a big show of this because I don't want people to think I'm being arrogant or anything, but I make my living as a professional audio engineer and musician (years of experience, blah blah blah). So that is my professional, educated opinion when I say that there's rerecorded parts there. All the Pro Tools and plugins in the world can't take Slash's guitar tone or the drums and completely change the timbre of it and the production of the whole track. Plus the changed lyrics, differences in other parts, etc. 

My guess is that the song clips in the unboxing videos are the remastered ones, and those sound pretty much the same as the original album. No one is doubting that anything was rerecorded there. If SOYL was in fact just a cleaned up old recording it would more or less sound like that (something off AFD or Suicide). Not like how it sounds now, which is a completely modern sounding production like any mainstream rock record that's out now.

Although if it is actually the original 1986 recording but with some magic done to it then I'm really interested in what they did to make it sound like that.

Agreed here as well. I've got tons of studio time under my belt as well and that's exactly right there is no program, technique, or recording wizzardy that could change the entire tonality of that

Which leads me to say that Slash would never roll that way in the studio anyway. He's completely old school I'm pretty sure other then doing editing via protools.

Edited by Order of Nine
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Edward Nigma said:

Anybody any clue as to when people in the UK can listen on YouTube. It was up yesterday and now its saying the uploader has not made the video available in this country.

This. I'd like to hear all the re-recorded parts😋

16 minutes ago, Order of Nine said:

Agreed here as well. I've got tons of studio time under my best as well and that's exactly right there is no program, technique, or recording wizzardy that could change the entire tonality of that

Which leads me to say that Slash would never roll that way in the studio anyway. He's completely old school I'm pretty sure other then doing editing via protools.

Although I think he used pro tools for his SMKC album that's coming out this year. The photos that Meegan posted of him in the studio show that.

Just now, MaskingApathy said:

Although I think he used pro tools for his SMKC album that's coming out this year. The photos that Meegan posted of him in the studio show that.

Yeah I think him and just about everyone uses it for editing, I don't see him using superior drummer or amp/cabinet modeling for example. I think they get raw organic takes then edit in protools? I could be wrong but Slash has always been old school with tones and approaches with capturing a recording.

42 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

Yeah I don't believe that for a minute. I've been listening to this song over and over at work and in the car since it was released and every time it plays I'm more convinced that there's rerecorded parts present, and not just a couple little overdubs here and there.

Disclosure: I don't normally make a big show of this because I don't want people to think I'm being arrogant or anything, but I make my living as a professional audio engineer and musician (years of experience, blah blah blah). So that is my professional, educated opinion when I say that there's rerecorded parts there. All the Pro Tools and plugins in the world can't take Slash's guitar tone or the drums and completely change the timbre of it and the production of the whole track. Plus the changed lyrics, differences in other parts, etc. 

My guess is that the song clips in the unboxing videos are the remastered ones, and those sound pretty much the same as the original album. No one is doubting that anything was rerecorded there. If SOYL was in fact just a cleaned up old recording it would more or less sound like that (something off AFD or Suicide). Not like how it sounds now, which is a completely modern sounding production like any mainstream rock record that's out now.

Although if it is actually the original 1986 recording but with some magic done to it then I'm really interested in what they did to make it sound like that.

Yea, Meegan is lying or just completely unaware. Just like some people in GNR camp said there were no overdubs/re-record for Axl vocals in Live Era... sheesh.

It's also my opinion there is very little chance this is just a spruced up version of a 1986 recording. On this latest SOYL, Axl is singing with techniques that he never even dared to dabble with (probably even knew of/how to...) back in good old 1986. 

10 minutes ago, Edward Nigma said:

Anybody any clue as to when people in the UK can listen on YouTube. It was up yesterday and now its saying the uploader has not made the video available in this country.

Just get behind a VPN!

• Like 2

@Edward Nigma @Tom2112 i downloaded it as an MP3 from when it was on youtube. not sure on forum rules but chances are i wont be allowed to send it you. other people on the forum have said it can be downloaded from places like Itunes for very little money so try that 

just spotted post above :)

Edited by donny
  • Like 2

I'm not so sure that they've retracked this song.

It does sound different to AFD, agreed. But I'm assuming the quality of the recordings they made were fairly high quality so taking those original multitracks and using today's technology and different mixing techniques I know you can coax different sounds (sonically, not talking about changing a guitar tone from clean to distorted or anything so drastic) to get more warmth/body. I'm someone who dabbles with mixing, not a pro by any means but I have taken bad drum sounds and changed them dramatically be it drastic eq, compression or straight up drum replacement. End if the day if the original source is recorded poorly your options are limited, if they are recorded well the options are there.

I like the mix, the song is a bit average but if they played it I'd be pretty happy to hear live.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Order of Nine said:

Yeah I think him and just about everyone uses it for editing, I don't see him using superior drummer or amp/cabinet modeling for example. I think they get raw organic takes then edit in protools? I could be wrong but Slash has always been old school with tones and approaches with capturing a recording.

His last couple solo albums he was pretty adamant about recording straight to tape. Maybe this time he went the Pro Tools route because he didn't have as much time and he was using his own home studio.

7 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

I'm not so sure that they've retracked this song.

It does sound different to AFD, agreed. But I'm assuming the quality of the recordings they made were fairly high quality so taking those original multitracks and using today's technology and different mixing techniques I know you can coax different sounds (sonically, not talking about changing a guitar tone from clean to distorted or anything so drastic) to get more warmth/body. I'm someone who dabbles with mixing, not a pro by any means but I have taken bad drum sounds and changed them dramatically be it drastic eq, compression or straight up drum replacement. End if the day if the original source is recorded poorly your options are limited, if they are recorded well the options are there.

I like the mix, the song is a bit average but if they played it I'd be pretty happy to hear live.

I wonder if they would even consider using drum replacement... I still don't think it's Popcorn playing but a band with that kind of budget (and UMG footing the bill) would have all the resources to record it properly.

2 minutes ago, Tyler Drama said:

I really feel like they should have put “Shadow of Your Love (1986)” or something as the title on Spotify and whatnot. Casual fans will come across the song and see “Latest Release - Single - 2018” and think it’s like an actual new song.

Ignorance is bliss???

1 minute ago, Tyler Drama said:

I really feel like they should have put “Shadow of Your Love (1986)” or something as the title on Spotify and whatnot. Casual fans will come across the song and see “Latest Release - Single - 2018” and think it’s like an actual new song.

Which I'm sure is their intention.

Casuals will believe it's a new song, thus keeping them engaged with the band for the foreseeable future in the hopes of a new album. Brilliant marketing, really. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Edward Nigma said:

Anybody know the reason why they would pull it so we in the UK can't watch it?

its baffled me. first we couldnt watch it. then we could(for about 16hrs) now we cant. theres people from all over the world on this forum and no complaints from them. just UK and ireland 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Propaganda said:

Axl's vocals don't sound the same, and it wouldn't be much time consuming to lay vocals just for one track. Especially when it was an already existing song.

Nowadays? Fuck me, he really could've done it on his Mac desktop in his bedroom with a good microphone, mix it and "maquillage" it, in like 3-4 hours. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

His last couple solo albums he was pretty adamant about recording straight to tape. Maybe this time he went the Pro Tools route because he didn't have as much time and he was using his own home studio.

I wonder if they would even consider using drum replacement... I still don't think it's Popcorn playing but a band with that kind of budget (and UMG footing the bill) would have all the resources to record it properly.

I also highly doubt that the SOYL version from back then that was recorded and shelved was picture perfect for a release, anything being sent as a single is going to have a fine tooth comb pulled thru it.

Edited by Order of Nine
  • Like 1

One of my favourite GnR songs, glad it's getting hype in 2018 !

The new one as I've heard recently on youtube seems to sound different to the 2 old versions though, could someone please tell me what the consensus is on if it is from the vault, or with parts re-recorded? (It would take me ages to look through 17 pages!)

4 minutes ago, Nice Boy said:

One of my favourite GnR songs, glad it's getting hype in 2018 !

The new one as I've heard recently on youtube seems to sound different to the 2 old versions though, could someone please tell me what the consensus is on if it is from the vault, or with parts re-recorded? (It would take me ages to look through 17 pages!)

Consensus in this forum?? :lol:

Its pretty much like 1 faction thinks all of it its from 1986. Another faction thinks its all brand new. And another faction thinks its a mix of both.

• Haha 1