Your thoughts on the Shadow of your Love single?

9 hours ago, tremolo said:

And he has all the right to think and say this is a big load of crap and you have NOTHING to say about that. Basic.

And I’m not talking about the music itself, –which people are free to love or hate– it’s the fact that they decided to release it as a single. FFS, it’s a song that has been available for decades in official releases. It’s a song that wasn’t considered good enough to be a single back then. It’s wasn’t considered good enough to even be in AFD or Lies. I guess 2018 GNR standards are way lower than 1987’s.

Oh, I heard that the next single will be Back Off Bitch, but it is a 1986 version where Axl misses a “woh” after the chorus/before the next verse, that makes it a brand new song! OMG this new era of GNR is so prolific and exciting!

Right when you thought that having Slash and Duff back would fuel the creative process to make new song, they turn into KISS. Gene Simmons must be proud.

Some people start attacking another forum members because they are dissapointed with a song and that's what i was talking about.

And for the second part of your post... well, yeah, it is old, so what? We all know about that because we are GN'R nerds, so what?

Have a nice day

57 minutes ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

Can I just ask which techniques you're referring to?  Because the way he sings on SOYL is very similar to how he sings on My Michelle.  One of the reasons My Michelle is my favourite AFD song is because Axl's vocals for that are slightly different to his vocals on the rest of the album (in my opinion anyway).  They oooze venom and malice and I always thought he sang with a slightly different tone for that one.  I think it's funny that even when he's trying to be encouraging in the last verse he still sounds like he wants to kill someone. :lol: I'm no expert on vocals, but that's just my interpretation.  

Too hard to explain on a forum. But just as an example, the way he attacks some of the notes (imperceptibly attacking with a clean falsetto, then go into rasp mode) and how "clean" some others get, right after rasping, especially at higher pitches. The choice of vibrato and gliss.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, donny said:

the uploader has not made this video available in your country. come on team brazil sort it out 

Is it just us in the UK that have been blocked?

55 minutes ago, B17NNS said:

I think the vocals are 80's.

Slash's guitar work on that solo sounds looser/more Illusions era to me.

43 minutes ago, GNRfan2008 said:

LOL, yep. Slash's girlfriend claims there is nothing new. Interesting if true. The lead guitar sounds a lot more like 2010's Slash than 80's Slash. 

There's no question that the guitar solos on the two tracks differ, and there are some different lead embellishments in the new one. I do think the solo on the new single sounds more like Slash's modern playing. However, it's possible he did multiple takes in '86, and/or the solo has been spliced together in one or both versions. Not sure if Slash has ever commented on whether or not he does the latter. It's also possible those lead embellishments were just buried in the mix before, but the more I think about it, it seems like Slash recently did some lead work on the track.

I see some people claiming the overall timbre is changed in a seemingly un-studio like way, but I think Slash's rhythm guitar tone sounds right in line with his late 80's tone. It does not sound like the tone on his solo records. 

Edited by OmarBradley

5 minutes ago, tremolo said:

Discussing different opinions is fun and keeps this place interesting. Some will take it too far sometimes (i know i have), but i don’t think it’s a big deal.

I don’t have a problem with the song being old. I just find that releasing it as a single is a stupid move that makes absolutely no sense UNLESS that’s the road they choose to go and decide to release music without ever putting a foot in the studio, just cashing in on the good old days of glory... then it makes complete sense.

I say just wait and see. Two years ago we were amazed to see Axl, Duff and Slash on the same stage for the first time since 1993. I've even released two commemorative multicam videos in the last 48hs because that was insane and a very happy moment. Then we discovered that (in opposite to what some people say in this very same thread), Slash was open to play many Chinese Democracy songs. Then we had a world tour, Axl with Ac/Dc, and now the rumour is Axl recording with Angus and Slash with MK (they have a record contract, so they have to). 

If you ask me, i think is logic: Slash and Axl are working on other stuff, now: they can't keep touring without releasing something right? Then, the easiest way is to give us an amazing and remastered AFD with an old/new single and then record a new album for 2019. Just my thoughts, but maybe it is what we are going to see.

2 minutes ago, fernomenoyde said:

I say just wait and see. Two years ago we were amazed to see Axl, Duff and Slash on the same stage for the first time since 1993. I've even released two commemorative multicam videos in the last 48hs because that was insane and a very happy moment. Then we discovered that (in opposite to what some people say in this very same thread), Slash was open to play many Chinese Democracy songs. Then we had a world tour, Axl with Ac/Dc, and now the rumour is Axl recording with Angus and Slash with MK (they have a record contract, so they have to). 

If you ask me, i think is logic: Slash and Axl are working on other stuff, now: they can't keep touring without releasing something right? Then, the easiest way is to give us an amazing and remastered AFD with an old/new single and then record a new album for 2019. Just my thoughts, but maybe it is what we are going to see.

All true

They have to and they know time is running out. I'm sure they would love to go out on top. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

When will the billboard charts update? So that we can see how well the song did?

Pretty sure they release the updated charts on Tuesday at least in America

13 minutes ago, action said:

I think these are 2016-2018 vocals, throughout. It sounds nothing like the bootlegs I've heard and if it does I'd like to know which one.

No, it's a 1986 recording, per GNR's facebook:

Watch the lyric video and listen the unreleased 1986 studio recording of "Shadow of Your Love".

The video you can see in the UK is blocked for me, but I can see the other one.

It's strange that there is a video only for the UK and another one for the rest of the world, lol.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Caedo said:

Pretty sure they release the updated charts on Tuesday at least in America

I was literally about to ask anyone if they knew when this would show up on any chart IF in fact it charted. As much as we would love it, there' a chance it doesn't chart at all, I'm ok with that. 

19 minutes ago, action said:

I think these are 2016-2018 vocals, throughout. It sounds nothing like the bootlegs I've heard and if it does I'd like to know which one.

It's from a recording that has never been bootlegged. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

The video you can see in the UK is blocked for me, but I can see the other one.

It's strange that there is a video only for the UK and another one for the rest of the world, lol.

Can you see the one i posted?

5 hours ago, Order of Nine said:

He's way more consistent now. He used to blow his voice out alot. His technical approach has improved.

I respectfully disagree.. For the most part he consistently sounds terrible for at least half of every show.. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, charliehoodger said:

I was literally about to ask anyone if they knew when this would show up on any chart IF in fact it charted. As much as we would love it, there' a chance it doesn't chart at all, I'm ok with that. 

It's #178 for all genres on iTunes and #44 in the iTunes pop genre chart because the album is mislabeled by Apple as "pop" instead of "rock."

1 minute ago, janrichmond said:

Can you see the one i posted?

No, it says it's blocked in my country on copyright grounds.

But I can see the GNRVevo one since it has been uploaded.

It's strange, because the one you posted is not officially uploaded.

• Confused 1