Your thoughts on the Shadow of your Love single?

2 minutes ago, yourcrazy said:

I heard it yesterday on 101.1 wrif in Detroit.  

I'm out of town this weekend but Meltdown was asking me for all the details about the song on Friday, so I was assuming WRIF started playing it. 

15 hours ago, DeadSlash said:

I don't think that means anything.  We didn't get confirmation on Live Era until years later, right?

People are debating the vocals, but I think the fanbase is like 85% in agreement that is not 1986 Slash.  Who knows, there might be legal reasons they need to say that.

The Live Era situation is different, I think.

If it was newly recorded, I would think they'd say so. It would point to them being in the studio together. To me, it would be more positive if they'd re-recorded it or changed it up a bit recently.

But according to Troccoli, it's from a November 1986 one song session they did with Mike Clink as a trial to see if they wanted to hire him.

• Like 1

I love it as a Guns song, knowing their history and the history of the song. But as a released single - no way. There's a reason why Axl became a Rock N Roll God, and it's got nothing to do with the 1985-1987 era. His vocal range on Patience and the Illusions albums put him on the Mountain Top. SOYL is a cool rocker, but those vocals won't be for everybody.

30 minutes ago, charliehoodger said:

I know I've asked and someone said where it currently is on charts but does anyone have or found a link to show it on billboard.com I tried looking it up and couldn' find it. 

Which charts are you referring to? The Billboard Hot 100 will not reflect this past weeks release yet, because it’s too early. It would be shocking if GnR made the Hot 100 in 2018.

• Like 2

On 5/3/2018 at 10:06 PM, Manfisman said:

It will interesting to see how this songs does on the radio, Youtube, etc.

It's a good rocker song and for the general public it is new. So maybe it will show the label and the band that there's interest on new material. That would be great.

Also I would like it to see it being played in Europe

If the band and company can't realize that there is a market for new music, they've lost all senses. Go to Coachella, or check out the young "hip" girls on social media - there are a lot of vintage GNR gear going around. Mark it dude...if done correctly, GNR would be huge <--- not exaggerating just because I'm a fan. Axl is weird and Slash could be burned out (he never retired and hasn't changed much),,,,but if they have it in them to get fired up to please a whole new generation with their amazing talents, they would have a lot of fun playing to a new audience. The world is a much smaller place than if was in the 1990s. The band needs a top notch global management system so they can just concentrate and enjoy kicking some ass on stage in in the studio. Men with their talents last longer than "good" musicians. The best could be yet to come!

Wow, you guys still listen to radio stations. :lol:

1 hour ago, pugachev said:

People actually believe this is a new recording? I mean, listen to the vocals, clearly not 2018 Axl, no matter how much we wish he sounded like this still.

No, people believe it's the old recording with added layers. IMO, there's no new vocals there.

• Like 1

Sorry if this has been addressed... but I have noticed that "Shadow of Your Love" is being promoted as having been produced by Mike Clink. I have always been under the impression that the song was recorded during the same sessions which would become the Live Like a Suicide EP. If that is the case, does this mean that the entire EP was produced by Mike Clink? On wikipedia, "Guns N' Roses" is listed as the producer for the EP and Mike is not mentioned anywhere in the article. I no longer own a physical copy to check the liner notes.

5 minutes ago, nevergotochurch said:

Sorry if this has been addressed... but I have noticed that "Shadow of Your Love" is being promoted as having been produced by Mike Clink. I have always been under the impression that the song was recorded during the same sessions which would become the Live Like a Suicide EP. If that is the case, does this mean that the entire EP was produced by Mike Clink? On wikipedia, "Guns N' Roses" is listed as the producer for the EP and Mike is not mentioned anywhere in the article. I no longer own a physical copy to check the liner notes.

This version is not from the LLAS sessions, it's from a tryout recording with Mike Clink. After that recording they picked Clink to produce Appetite. That Mike Clink recording is not one of the known old versions (the LALD b-side and the Live in the jungle ep).

Edited by Blackstar

1 minute ago, Blackstar said:

This version is not from the LLAS sessions, it's from a tryout recording with Mike Clink. After that recording they picked Clink to produce Appetite.

Is there another version of Shadow of Your Love which *was recorded during the Live like a Suicide sessions? If yes, is that the "live" version which appears on Live in the Jungle? I thought they were the same versions... and the new release simply omitted the crowd noise in addition to being remixed and remastered. Are you saying these are different recordings, and that the Live like a Suicide EP was not recorded by Mike Clink?

41 minutes ago, GNR 1991 said:

Which charts are you referring to? The Billboard Hot 100 will not reflect this past weeks release yet, because it’s too early. It would be shocking if GnR made the Hot 100 in 2018.

I was thinkingall of them and you are right about billboard but in this day and age itunes I guess is more accurate. Or Google play.

Since the first time i've listened i thought that there was something different with the vocals. Of course didn't sound like Axl's current live approach, but there are a few signs that may indicate some rework here and there.

The first one, and the overall feeling of the thing, is that it sounds like an extremely controled delivery of the song. The 1986's versions that are bootlegged since forever had Axl in his most agressive and raw take.  IDK if it's possible to clean the sound of his vocals, or even his choice of breathing, that are kind of smooth in this new version. Even his drive, it's less forced, without that throat sound. 

Talking about the specific moments of the song that resemble today's Axl. Minute 1:37 of the video in the line "High Rolling Shot". When he sings "high", there's that "R" sound, and it sounds like some of the attemps of notes of the last tour, where his voice cracked, like a gargle. Of course, in this studio version, it is very subtle, but, TO ME, could indicate some rework. In the minute 2:37, "never standing in the", the same thing seams to occur when he sings "standing."

Before someone says that i'm overanalyzing,blah, blah.  I'm perfectly fine with the release, the current state of the band, and with this "single". Sounds very cool, and it does't matter at all if there was some work studio or not. For me this discussion is FUN!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, nevergotochurch said:

Is there another version of Shadow of Your Love which *was recorded during the Live like a Suicide sessions? If yes, is that the "live" version which appears on Live in the Jungle? I thought they were the same versions... and the new release simply omitted the crowd noise in addition to being remixed and remastered. Are you saying these are different recordings, and that the Live like a Suicide EP was not recorded by Mike Clink?

Yes, the Live in the jungle version is the one from the LLAS sessions.

Clink didn't produce LLAS, it was produced by the band.