Your thoughts on the Shadow of your Love single?

3 hours ago, Bozo said:

Since the first time i've listened i thought that there was something different with the vocals. Of course didn't sound like Axl's current live approach, but there are a few signs that may indicate some rework here and there.

The first one, and the overall feeling of the thing, is that it sounds like an extremely controled delivery of the song. The 1986's versions that are bootlegged since forever had Axl in his most agressive and raw take.  IDK if it's possible to clean the sound of his vocals, or even his choice of breathing, that are kind of smooth in this new version. Even his drive, it's less forced, without that throat sound. 

Talking about the specific moments of the song that resemble today's Axl. Minute 1:37 of the video in the line "High Rolling Shot". When he sings "high", there's that "R" sound, and it sounds like some of the attemps of notes of the last tour, where his voice cracked, like a gargle. Of course, in this studio version, it is very subtle, but, TO ME, could indicate some rework. In the minute 2:37, "never standing in the", the same thing seams to occur when he sings "standing."

Before someone says that i'm overanalyzing,blah, blah.  I'm perfectly fine with the release, the current state of the band, and with this "single". Sounds very cool, and it does't matter at all if there was some work studio or not. For me this discussion is FUN!

Go to 1:52 in the song, axls last vocal before the solo. Listen to the “ooh” kind of moan he does. I’m 99% sure that’s not in any of the demos throughout the years. That’s a new ad lip I’m pretty sure. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, -W.A.R- said:

Live Era is way different because that was supposed to be live, not touched up in the studio.

No reason for them to lie abut re-recording this song.

We really don't know that there is "no reason to lie."  That is an assumption.   We have no idea what the motivations might be to mislead on if the track was touched up.   The one thing that is for sure with GnR is that nothing is for sure.  

How many times have I seen the Adler quote about Axl "Running up the walls" doing Shadow for Clink?  Does this really sound like he's going nutty in the studio?  Are we supposed to believe that for 1 song in 1986 Slash channeled his future self and then forgot about it for a couple decades?  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, DeadSlash said:

We really don't know that there is "no reason to lie."  That is an assumption.   We have no idea what the motivations might be to mislead on if the track was touched up.   The one thing that is for sure with GnR is that nothing is for sure.  

How many times have I seen the Adler quote about Axl "Running up the walls" doing Shadow for Clink?  Does this really sound like he's going nutty in the studio?  Are we supposed to believe that for 1 song in 1986 Slash channeled his future self and then forgot about it for a couple decades?  

Alright fine, its been re-recorded.

On 5/4/2018 at 3:24 PM, Order of Nine said:

I love it. It's great to hear a song from them with this production, regardless of what era. 

I think the classic rock stations will eat it up. What else is happening in the world of rock music? Nothing!

Jack White, Pearl Jam, Muse, Ghost, Foo Fighters, A Perfect Circle, Stone temple pilots, Parkway Drive... All had a recent single and/or album and I won't even go for the other newer bands 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Nicklord said:

Jack White, Pearl Jam, Muse, Ghost, Foo Fighters, A Perfect Circle, Stone temple pilots, Parkway Drive... All had a recent single and/or album and I won't even go for the other newer bands 

Other then Parkway drive those bands are a bore. I know Foo fighters is mega popular but I can't stand em

2 hours ago, Underhardy said:

Go to 1:52 in the song, axls last vocal before the solo. Listen to the “ooh” kind of moan he does. I’m 99% sure that’s not in any of the demos throughout the years. That’s a new ad lip I’m pretty sure. 

yep, for me this part is surely a new addition. compare also the way he sings shananana in the end of the song. it's very different of any other versions.

and if you consider that slash recorded some new licks, and that seems to be almost a consensus here, does anybody thinks that axl would not put his own touches? i seriously doubt ...

23 minutes ago, Bozo said:

yep, for me this part is surely a new addition. compare also the way he sings shananana in the end of the song. it's very different of any other versions.

and if you consider that slash recorded some new licks, and that seems to be almost a consensus here, does anybody thinks that axl would not put his own touches? i seriously doubt ...

The thing though is that voice is for sure 1896 Axl, they clearly do have the multitrack masters so it is very possible it is simply just an alternate vocal take they have there that they decided to use.  Or maybe just with that particular take Axl just happened to sing it differently

Have not heard it on the radio. Good to hear a song from that era that was not on AFD on youtube / itunes. I downloaded SOYL today. Will buy at 2 disk set as it actually creates jobs . Even though I already own AFD. I still got CD still on the disc rotation and need AFD on there. So I guess I will add these disks to it as soon as I get tired of the new Stone Temple Pilots album and 5FDP Decade of Destruction or Sound Garden Super Unknown.

There's some clarity in the way Axl pronounces each word that it was not there before.

Im not saying he re-recorded all vocals but could have recorded single words and have them pasted into the old vocals.

The things you can do nowadays with audio software are comparable to the way one can use Photoshop on pictures. 

6 minutes ago, Ratam said:

True ,for my Foo Fighters sound more as pop band.

They are absolute garbage Imho. Mainstream rock is pretty bad now. Just goes to show you cause the billboard charts are riddled with older acts. 

When's the last time a rock, or hard rock band has come out and owned it? It's been a long time

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Order of Nine said:

They are absolute garbage Imho. Mainstream rock is pretty bad now. Just goes to show you cause the billboard charts are riddled with older acts. 

When's the last time a rock, or hard rock band has come out and owned it? It's been a long time

Pretty much all mainstream rock has went to hell since Chinese Democracy was released (at that time we thought that rock music had went to hell before it was released)  with only a few decent albums here and there. SOYL is refreshing in this age of crap.

Edited by Billly B
  • Thanks 1
  • GNFNR 1

3 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

I don't expect the song to do great things but I was wondering if anyone has heard it on the radio and where? I know someone said they heard it on the radio in Cincinnati a couple times. 

Been played here in detroit

• Like 2

When I first heard Axl's vocals on the short clip from the gnr.fm countdown, I thought for sure it was Axl's 80's voice.  After listening to the demo version of the song, I am now convinced it is current Axl on the new release.. The vocals are much weaker than the demo version.  The voice has all the similarities of his current voice.  It is not bad, just not as powerful as before. I like SOYL.

It is too bad these guys don't want to make a new record.

Edited by SWINGTRADER

Pretty cool for a 32 year old song. Any chance this version is actually something that was sealed in the vaults that we never got to hear until now? I would think if Axl were to go back into studio he might change a lyric or two or rearrange the song to suit a modern style.

6 hours ago, DeadSlash said:

How many times have I seen the Adler quote about Axl "Running up the walls" doing Shadow for Clink?  Does this really sound like he's going nutty in the studio?  

Would that be this quote?

"Without missing a beat [Axl] grabbed the mike in the middle of the song and just started running up and down the walls, screaming and wailing like someone had his pants on fire. I had never heard such a sound in my life. It was like some otherwordly banshee cry. I was stoked. I remember my eyes bugged a bit and my pulse shot up; I was thinking this dude was insane, so original" ["My Appetite for Destruction", 2010]?

That quote is not from the Clink sessions.

4 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Would that be this quote?

"Without missing a beat [Axl] grabbed the mike in the middle of the song and just started running up and down the walls, screaming and wailing like someone had his pants on fire. I had never heard such a sound in my life. It was like some otherwordly banshee cry. I was stoked. I remember my eyes bugged a bit and my pulse shot up; I was thinking this dude was insane, so original" ["My Appetite for Destruction", 2010]?

That quote is not from the Clink sessions.

Is it being misquoted, or are there multiple Mike Clink SOYL sessions?  

As the story goes, “Shadow of Your Love” was co-written by Axl Rose while still in the pre-GNR group Hollywood Rose. It then ended up being the first song GNR ever rehearsed together for Appetite producer Mike Clink during studio sessions circa 1986  “It was magic from the first day,” Steven Adler, the band’s drummer at the time, said. “The first song we played in rehearsal was ‘Shadow of Your Love,’ and Axl showed up late. We were playing the song, and right in the middle of the song Axl showed up and he grabbed the microphone and was running up and down the walls screaming. I thought, ‘This is the greatest thing ever.’ We knew right then what we had.”