Your thoughts on the Shadow of your Love single?

6 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

I don't expect the song to do great things but I was wondering if anyone has heard it on the radio and where? I know someone said they heard it on the radio in Cincinnati a couple times. 

I heard it played quite a few times friday here in LA on 95.5 KLOS. They played it 3 times in the span of an hour between 3-4pm. Havent listened to the radio since then so im not sure how much more its been played. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DeadSlash said:

Is it being misquoted, or are there multiple Mike Clink SOYL sessions?  

As the story goes, “Shadow of Your Love” was co-written by Axl Rose while still in the pre-GNR group Hollywood Rose. It then ended up being the first song GNR ever rehearsed together for Appetite producer Mike Clink during studio sessions circa 1986  “It was magic from the first day,” Steven Adler, the band’s drummer at the time, said. “The first song we played in rehearsal was ‘Shadow of Your Love,’ and Axl showed up late. We were playing the song, and right in the middle of the song Axl showed up and he grabbed the microphone and was running up and down the walls screaming. I thought, ‘This is the greatest thing ever.’ We knew right then what we had.”

That's a different quote. Seems like Steven is fond of describing Axl as "running up the walls".

Where does your quote come from?

Edited by SoulMonster

Sorry if it's already been discussed here, but I could swear I always heard "livin' like a lemon ain't so hot" in the previous version instead of what there is now. Anyone? 

Edited by jamillos

I always thought the song was ok but the production on this version has elevated it to another level and it does feel like a new song for 2018. “You’ve gone cold / Or even misread / No use crying / You’re as good as dead” is the Axl we all want back.

Edited by Stress Fracture
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Stress Fracture said:

I always thought the song was ok but the production on this version has elevated it to another level and it does feel like a new song for 2018. “You’ve gone cold / Or even misread / No use crying / You’re as good as dead” is the Axl we all want back.

And this is what this Afd remaster is going to sound like, more modern. The flac copy sounds great I reckon :thumbsup: :drool:

Edited by Gibbo
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Gibbo said:

And this is what this Afd remaster is going to sound like, more modern. The flac copy sounds great I reckon :thumbsup: :drool:

I believe their was some significant remixing and additional production to this release of SOYL?  I definitely agree the remaster will similar in being more modern, but I figure some aspects will be markedly different from SOYL.

It kicks ass. I dig it.

My 20 yr old son, who loves GnR, made this comment:

"The song is okay. I gotta say I'm disappointed in the music video. They usually have great music videos but I guess they're old now. It was pretty lame."

:lol:

I STILL love it, but my currents thoughts are ...WTF did it start "not available in your country" - THE UK...Then within an hour, BECOME available, then couple of days 

ago become NOT available again...(and still isn't at time of type)
Strange, can someone let GNR know to fix this?!? 
Good news, it's almost at 1 Mil views, which is incredible for a 34 year old song in 72 hours !

10 hours ago, Order of Nine said:

They are absolute garbage Imho. Mainstream rock is pretty bad now. Just goes to show you cause the billboard charts are riddled with older acts. 

When's the last time a rock, or hard rock band has come out and owned it? It's been a long time

Mainstream rock (and mainstream in general) was always garbage. It's just that really good acts stood the test of time. Even in the early 90s you had so many garbage bands in the charts, remember Damn Yankees or INXS? No, but you do remember GnR and Pearl Jam.

Also billboard charts aren't riddled with older acts, current mainstream rock top 10 chart doesn't have a single band that released an album in the 90s. Alternative rock is even "younger" with Muse and 30STM being by far the oldest in there. Current top bands in both charts were formed in 2016 and 2017

It isn't even a video clip. It seems they didn't want to make an actual video clip but they had to have something to put on youtube. So they just used the litho they made for the song, added the lyrics and generated a video like the ones anyone can put together in about 5 minutes.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TrixAreForKids said:

Pretty cool for a 32 year old song. Any chance this version is actually something that was sealed in the vaults that we never got to hear until now? I would think if Axl were to go back into studio he might change a lyric or two or rearrange the song to suit a modern style.

Yes. It's from a version that was unheard until now.

• Like 1

Just now, Oldest Goat said:

Yeah but the animation is poorly done and just repeated on loop.

The animation is not poorly done... it supposed to look like that, that's the style of it. If you don't like it, cool, but it's just a lyric video and it does its job. It presents the lyrics in a non-distracting way. It does what it's supposed to do. Comparing a lyric video to anything else in their catalog is like comparing Jungle to a ringtone.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Tonto said:

It's a lyric video, you're supposed to watch it and read the lyrics. It's not supposed to be November Rain part 2.

Check out this for example. Song is old as shit too, lyrics video is simple but it has the actual style used by Oasis. Not random litho stolen from Iron Maiden

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Nicklord said:

Check out this for example. Song is old as shit too, lyrics video is simple but it has the actual style used by Oasis. Not random litho stolen from Iron Maiden

If anything less effort has gone into that than the GN'R one. Don't see your point. Iron Maiden? GN'R have always used skulls and skeletons (Iron Maiden, not so much).

Edited by Tonto

2 hours ago, Nicklord said:

Mainstream rock (and mainstream in general) was always garbage. It's just that really good acts stood the test of time. Even in the early 90s you had so many garbage bands in the charts, remember Damn Yankees or INXS? No, but you do remember GnR and Pearl Jam.

Also billboard charts aren't riddled with older acts, current mainstream rock top 10 chart doesn't have a single band that released an album in the 90s. Alternative rock is even "younger" with Muse and 30STM being by far the oldest in there. Current top bands in both charts were formed in 2016 and 2017

Maybe none are in the top ten now but there's a ton mixed in there and it's a testimony of today's rock. There's really nobody new carrying the torch and making an impact. There's only one that comes to mind and they are not to rock, more metal.

3 hours ago, KURT19 said:

It kicks ass. I dig it.

My 20 yr old son, who loves GnR, made this comment:

"The song is okay. I gotta say I'm disappointed in the music video. They usually have great music videos but I guess they're old now. It was pretty lame."

:lol:

Lyric videos are always lame. Pretty sad that they decided to this the easy way. They've should done the video like WTTJ & ISE from Live Era was, a cool live clips.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ruttu69 said:

Lyric videos are always lame. Pretty sad that they decided to this the easy way. They've should done the video like WTTJ & ISE from Live Era was, a cool live clips.

Who says that won't happen later? Lyric videos are usually released first and are then followed up with the real video later on. Why don't you wait a little before labeling it the "easy way".

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tonto said:

Who says that won't happen later? Lyric videos are usually released first and are then followed up with the real video later on. Why don't you wait a little before labeling it the "easy way".

Yeah hope so, but this is GN'R we're talking about :D video for Better is coming soon too.

57 minutes ago, Edward Nigma said:

Any chance people in the UK will be able to view/listen to SOYL on YouTube in the near viewer, why can't we watch it on YouTube?

I dont know.  Do you typically have access to VEVO content on YT in UK?  It often would say VEVO in bottom left of official music videos.

Either way, see if you can watch it directly on VEVO.com?

https://www.vevo.com/artist/guns-n-roses 

https://www.vevo.com/watch/guns-n-roses/shadow-of-your-love-(lyric-video)/USUV71801295 

(Vevo is a music video channel partnership between major labels such as Guns North American lable Universal along with Warner and... A&M (?) plus Google - who own YT - and some others)

• Like 1