Your thoughts on the Shadow of your Love single?

Yes crash diet would have been awesome mastered! And thanks Sosso( I was thinking that maybe this was Steven’s first time hearing it along with us and from the mastering some things gets smoothed out or tweaked( but If he doesn’t recognize his own beats I can’t call him a liar( paging Holmes and Watson , Holmes and Watson , never been bored with this great band 🤙🏼😎

And I heard shadow on radio on my way to work , I was so pumped it felt like I was heading to a concert or something more exciting than work!

• Like 1

Waiting to listen to the whole song once I get the cd.

The little bit I heard of it was that it was okay and understood why it wasn't on AFD. I don't think Axl sounded as good as he does on other songs. Was it recorded a different way?

So GNR released it as a single since it's on a rock chart now? Weird.

I bet AFD goes to Number 1 when it is released in June.

I doubt the Dallas radio station will play it. They probably don't even know it was released. this place sucks!

Edited by dontdamnmeuyi2015
More complaining. lol

3 hours ago, soon said:

But another thing to inform this mystery is: who counts the song in?  I cant place the voice.

GREAT question...

Typically the drummer.  Here who the fuck knows.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, tony adler said:

He’s on the liner notes(as the drummer) hard to believe they are gonna pay someone who did not play or write on the song a boat load of money, having said that , Steven might have been getting paid either way, so they might have thrown frank on there , but I think that would be illegal ( don’t know how royalties work)

It wouldn't be illegal. But one would think that if they had someone else play drums but presented it as just a remaster of the old recording (i.e. as Steven on drums), wouldn't they expect that Steven would say it wasn't him?

3 hours ago, soon said:

But another thing to inform this mystery is: who counts the song in?  I cant place the voice.

I thought the same thing when I first heard it: who is that?  Because it doesn't sound like any one of them.  If, for some absurd reason, they replaced Adler's drumming, who would they replace him with?  Freese? Because it's not Frank, right?

Edited by MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Propaganda said:

See I told you! It's obviously re-recorded! Axl's vocals are new, the guitars are from Slash and are new, and the Drums are from Frank and are new as well...

Axl cant sound like that, dont be foolish cmon.

2 minutes ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

I don't know about these things, but is it possible to feature Axl's original vocals over new music?

Totally.

I think everything is possible with today's technology. They could cut and paste every note, every word and make it all brand new.

It could be a hybrid of both old and new, just using the best of each instrument or version they had.

3 minutes ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

I don't know about these things, but is it possible to feature Axl's original vocals over new music?

Very much so. They'd have had to go back to the original tracks though, and consequentially do a whole new mix. 

To be honest, I might be in the minority but I would rather have all the demos like Jumpin Jack Flash etc rerecorded with the band they have now than the original stuff. 

Because that way it would at least be kind of new.

But who knows, I could imagine them recording everything again, even if it says "1986 sessions". Remember Live Era? That also said "Tokyo '92" when it was more like "Axl's basement '99" and Axl never spoke about it and acted like it was all original.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

I thought the same thing when I first heard it: who is that?  Because it doesn't sound like any one of them.  If, for some absurd reason, they replaced Adler's drumming, who would they replace him with?  Freese? Because it's not Frank, right?

It doesnt sound like Frank's voice to me, either.  I wondered if it could be a pre-stroke Adler, but I think it kinda-maybe sounds like the voice of someone older then 20 whatever when this would have (in theory) been originally recorded?

Not that it has to be the drummer who counts it in, but as mentioned, it often is. I still think theres good reason to believe its Adler with digital changes tbh.  Who knows, but to my ears there is unnatural notes in this performance that I dont think Freese would come up with. It'll be everyones last guess knowing GNR! lol

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, TheGeneral said:

To be honest, I might be in the minority but I would rather have all the demos like Jumpin Jack Flash etc rerecorded with the band they have now than the original stuff. 

Because that way it would at least be kind of new.

But who knows, I could imagine them recording everything again, even if it says "1986 sessions". Remember Live Era? That also said "Tokyo '92" when it was more like "Axl's basement '99" and Axl never spoke about it and acted like it was all original.

I'm with you, I would love to hear some of old tracks rerecorded with the current lineup. 

• Like 2

I heard Adler on triple m (radio station) and saw on Adlers instagram live video (same interview) that he has no idea who did the drums on Shadow but it isn't him. Said its not his  drum setup and style. 

Do you think the drums were re-recorded? Or were they Rob Gardners or even.... Frank? If they were re-recorded by Frank he did a top job.

But yeah I have a feeling the guitar licks and solo are re-recorded and touched up by slash too. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Propaganda said:

He does sound like that when he's not jumping around and running around. As a matter of fact, he can even do better than that in the studio!

He can reach the same notes and stuff, but the tone of his voice has changed, its obviously a recording from the 80s.

40 minutes ago, NachoLZ said:

He can reach the same notes and stuff, but the tone of his voice has changed, its obviously a recording from the 80s.

What's really interesting about this is that no matter what the final answer is - New? Old? there will be people who don't believe the official answer.

Axl's voice on this is like that dress from 4 years ago