Your thoughts on the Shadow of your Love single?

4 hours ago, soon said:

It doesnt sound like Frank's voice to me, either.  I wondered if it could be a pre-stroke Adler, but I think it kinda-maybe sounds like the voice of someone older then 20 whatever when this would have (in theory) been originally recorded?

Not that it has to be the drummer who counts it in, but as mentioned, it often is. I still think theres good reason to believe its Adler with digital changes tbh.  Who knows, but to my ears there is unnatural notes in this performance that I dont think Freese would come up with. It'll be everyones last guess knowing GNR! lol

I thought it sounded like Duff's voice

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

I thought it sounded like Duff's voice

Yeah, I think Duff could be the one counting it in too.  But m not sure.  Sounds most similar to Duff, though.  

I guess the question is if Duff would've been the one counting in a recording in 1985 or whatever?

26 minutes ago, soon said:

Yeah, I think Duff could be the one counting it in too.  But m not sure.  Sounds most similar to Duff, though.  

I guess the question is if Duff would've been the one counting in a recording in 1985 or whatever?

He counted in Patience didn't he?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

I don't know about these things, but is it possible to feature Axl's original vocals over new music?

Oh yeah, if you heard all the Chinese Democracy demos as they leaked over the years Axl's vocal track is always the same. 

18 minutes ago, NovemberPain said:

Maybe they replaced Steven's drums with Rob's or even Frank's to cut royalties from Steven. Maybe after those comments he did and his brother did, gnr took measures although I think as a less possible scenario.

If that happened I would die laughing. 

I have to say..

All the debating about Frank vs Adler drumming styles and nuance's that Frank can't "replicate" 

Isn't it TELLING that almost the entire forum is divided on who played the drums on this??? If Adler had such a signiture style and fingerprint why is it that half of the forum swears it's Frank???

I for one think that if Adler would have played the drums behind a curtin for OTGM and MM on the last tour HALF of you would have still thought it was Frank. 

Who occupies the drummer throne is not as relevant as some would like to claim. The division here proves it. A signature player would always shine thru.

6 minutes ago, NovemberPain said:

Probably everyone here. But knowing GNR...

I would be laughing at Adler, the guy just can't seem to grasp any ounce of tact.

Either way SOYL rocks. I happen to think minor things we're tweaked sometime recently since it was released just for the sake of making it radio ready. If not some re recording some other takes/tracks added in. 

Edited by Order of Nine
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, soon said:

That's a good point. That said, is this a possible Duff count in from 85-6 or is this a Duff count in from 2018?   

The whole song comes off as re-recorded to some extent to me, it doesn't sound like a 30 year old demo. But the count in does. My immediate feeling was the song was re-recorded but the count in was as is.

40 minutes ago, Modano09 said:

The whole song comes off as re-recorded to some extent to me, it doesn't sound like a 30 year old demo. But the count in does. My immediate feeling was the song was re-recorded but the count in was as is.

Basically This. You guys do understand Duffs voice, the count in and the add-in riff are probably from different takes, or even from different days. It's all is copy & pasted. Sounds good though.

Edited by 31illusions

7 minutes ago, 31illusions said:

Basically This. You guys do understand Duffs voice, the count in and the add-in riff are probably from different takes, or even from different days. It's all is copy & pasted. Sounds good though.

I think it's sort of a LIES thing, the count in is from a demo and added to make it sounds "authentic" to the box set theme. 

This is easy. They had the master tracks. Every instrument is recorded individually. They quantized Steven's drum track. Probably re-recorded all of the guitars and bass. Added Axl's original vocals from 1986... (Which are probably a never heard vocal take.... oh and also, I don't care what anyone says,  I do not buy that these are new vocals, he sang way better in '86 and it makes zero sense to re-record the vocals) into the mix, and then boom. There you go. Steven doesn't think it's him because the drum track is quantized, and not to mention, he probably doesn't even remember recording it.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Order of Nine said:

Hahahaha!!!

What a slap in the face to all the Adler fans here. 

I honestly don't know how it all works but unless he has some physical copies of demos nobody's heard before, I don't trust him to remember specifics from 30 years ago, for some reason. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, soon said:

Fairly certain, as Ive stated in greater detail in earlier threads, that they have quantized his playing (digitally adjusted tempo).  Theres a few familiar quantizing tell tale quirks to it, including notes that are technically in time but stand out to the human ear as unnatural and also that the the shuffle he plays modulates back and forth between two approaches to triplets through out the track.  Ive asked folks who've uploaded it to their recording software to see if its in perfect time, but I guess no ones had the opportunity yet.  Ive run a metronome to it and it seems as though it is in time, although with dropped notes (intentionally done as part of the arrangement) and the way Izzy plays everything with syncopation, it makes a simple metronome a little difficult to zero in with - would be ideal to get a digital confirmation.  I think that due to - as Steven says here - they didnt play to click track and kept errors that quantizing wouldve been a miserable piecemeal kinda a task.  Because it can confuse the software.

If this version is in time, that would have to indicate that its been altered because the chances that it just happens to be in time (if it is in time) seem to great for coincidence.

But another thing to inform this mystery is: who counts the song in?  I cant place the voice.

I would say this is a possibility, and if you add on the addition of the fact that they probably added a SHIT ton of processing like compressing the shit out of it (based on the dynamic range level), EQ, and tons more, you can radically change the tone of each individual part of the drum set to where it would sound like a totally different kit even

It is amazing how much you can alter the sound of things with DAWS and basic plugins nowadays, they probably just imported the multitrack tapes into ProTools, edited the crap out of everything, slapped on a new Slash solo and whatnot.  I like the result overall, I wish it was a bit less squished dynamically but I like the mix overall, and the drum sound.  But there is do doubt that it is heavy altered from what it probably originally was

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 1

Question....

If that is Adler, why would they want to quantize his signiture drum "swing" seeing if it's that important? And if that was in fact the case that means all the other tracks would not nessacrily match up!!! 

Edited by Order of Nine

6 minutes ago, Order of Nine said:

Question....

If that is Adler, why would they want to quantize his signiture seeing if it's that important? And f that was in fact the case that means all the other tracks would not nessacrily match up!!! 

You can quantize specific parts of the drum part using beat mapping without messing with the rest of the track, however that is assuming that any of that was done at all.  For example, if you have the multitracks you can take what the snare hits are doing during a given fill and slightly nudge just that part closer to the parameters you lay out for the grid from the beat mapping.  Quantizing can be a lot more complex now than simply lining up everything to a click track, it is actually scary how much you can do with it!

I personally though, just my own opinion, think that Adler heard simply a heavily processed, heavily EQ'd version of an old drum take he probably didn't hear since they recorded it, and it didn't sound "right" to him.  

Edited by WhazUp

2 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

You can quantize specific parts of the drum part using beat mapping without messing with the rest of the track, however that is assuming that any of that was done at all.  I personally, just my own opinion, think that Adler heard simply a heavily processed, heavily EQ'd version of an old drum take he probably didn't hear since they recorded it, and it didn't sound "right" to him

I get that. But if he's "swinging" the beat or out of time those other tracks that are playing along with him would then need to be redone. There's no way in hell they edited his drums in protools and had a perfect sync with the rest of the tracks.