Your thoughts on the Shadow of your Love single?

1 minute ago, WhazUp said:

You can quantize specific parts of the drum part using beat mapping without messing with the rest of the track, however that is assuming that any of that was done at all.  I personally, just my own opinion, think that Adler heard simply a heavily processed, heavily EQ'd version of an old drum take he probably didn't hear since they recorded it, and it didn't sound "right" to him

Wait, wait... are you trying to tell me that a 53 year old stroke victim,  may not remember a drum take on a song he did 32 years ago after a long struggle with addiction?   Well, now sir, that is just preposterous. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Order of Nine said:

I get that. But if he's "swinging" the beat or out of time those other tracks that are playing along with him would then need to be redone. There's no way in hell they edited his drums in protools and had a perfect sync with the rest of the tracks.

Unless for example, he messed up very quickly on a fill but the rest of the band kept the same time and he caught up with them quickly.  But this is all hypothetical anyways, I am just making up hypotheticals to where quantizing could be used lol personally I don't think his performance was edited using time based editing like that, I think they just processed the shit out of it and made the tone of the drums sound very different

1 minute ago, DeadSlash said:

Wait, wait... are you trying to tell me that a 53 year old stroke victim,  may not remember a drum take on a song he did 32 years ago after a long struggle with addiction?   Well, now sir, that is just preposterous. 

Hell I can barely remember what I had for dinner last weekend :P

Just now, WhazUp said:

Unless for example, he messed up very quickly on a fill but the rest of the band kept the same time and he caught up with them quickly.  But this is all hypothetical anyways, I am just making up hypotheticals to where quantizing could be used lol personally I don't think his performance was edited using time based editing like that, I think they just processed the shit out of it and made the tone of the drums sound very different

Gottcha. 

But is he complaining about the tone and timber of the drums or the actual performance/take???

3 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

Hell I can barely remember what I had for dinner last weekend :P

Idk... He sure remembers to play along to Appetite everyday and complain at interviews. Is this selective memory syndrome???

The tone could have been adjusted with eq, a different mix, or the mastering. But if he's talking about the actual performance then I highly doubt that was all quantitized and miraculously synced up perfectly with vocals, bass, and three other guitar tracks. No way in hell. 

4 minutes ago, Order of Nine said:

Gottcha. 

But is he complaining about the tone and timber of the drums or the actual performance/take???

Based on the video, the actual performance because he was talking about how the song was essentially the same drum wise as Reckless Life, but his drumming sounds on par with the other demos of SOYL that are out there so honestly I have no idea what he really means here :lol:

My best guess would be that the heavily altered tone of the drums altered his perception of the performance.  But that is just a guess, but I do trust my own ears and feel comfortable with guessing that

Edited by WhazUp

5 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

Based on the video, the actual performance because he was talking about how the song was essentially the same drum wise as Reckless Life, but his drumming sounds on par with the other demos of SOYL that are out there so honestly I have no idea what he really means here :lol:

Hahah. Yeah, possibly he doesn't know as well as to what he's complaining about!! 's entertaining me to say the least. It's makeing me suspicious that it's NOT him on the take. Yes that beat is very similar to Reckless and Nice boys. 

On another note I can't see Duff and Slash being to cool with editing/quantizing drums digitally in pro tools to "fix" an entire performance. They would just want the take redone just like any other sane rock musician with punk roots like those two. This isn't a prog/metal band where some heavy editing would be more common place. I just dont see it happening. 

Either his brain and memory is fried or Frank really did a take. 

Edited by Order of Nine

My thoughts on this in a sentence: '86 Axl, '86 Izzy n Duff, Slash pretty much totally rerecorded, '86 Adler pro-tooled to death with triggers (the intro sounds exactly like the Live and Let die b-side intro but the song is slower), with Melissa on backing vocals doing the "oooohs".

Just now, MillionsOfSpiders said:

Yeah, don’t post the song and tag Steven in it and then tell a fan that nothing is altered.

Nothing would be easier. 

Seriously, do we know if there is any legal angle to saying it is "unaltered?"  Didn't like the Traveling Wilburys use those names to get around legalities?  Do we know with any certainty that this isn't a "Yeah it's totally unaltered! <wink wink>" type of deal?  

2 minutes ago, DeadSlash said:

Seriously, do we know if there is any legal angle to saying it is "unaltered?"  Didn't like the Traveling Wilburys use those names to get around legalities?  Do we know with any certainty that this isn't a "Yeah it's totally unaltered! <wink wink>" type of deal?  

Maybe @Blackstar could answer that, I have no idea. 

Slash’s girlfriend is not a spokesperson for the band though, what she says cannot be taken as official word, although I don’t think she would bullshit us at all. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

Slash’s girlfriend is not a spokesperson for the band though, what she says cannot be taken as official word, although I don’t think she would bullshit us at all. 

We have Troccoli saying it's the 1986 recording as well.

I'm still leaning towards believing Troccoli and Meegan. I don't understand why anyone would be lying about that. I don't think it would be a bad thing if (some of) it was rerecorded. Why lie about that?

Brian May didn't recognize his solo either, did he? In this day and age you can tweak so much I wouldn't be surprised if Steven didn't recognize something he played over 30 years ago.

• Like 3

It is possible that the Adler brothers do not realise the nuances of the three versions and are merely making a direct contrast with the ubiquitous Sound City and Pasha versions, and that Steven has forgotten the Clink recording; the line, ''even Slash guitar solo (sic) is totally different then the original'' seems to indicate this sort of direct comparison, but then Steven was adamant (''that's definitely not me'') and it is not as if Guns haven't pulled this stunt before - and not lied about it also. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

Even less of a reason to spend money on this is they re-recorded shit with the new members.

And this is based on....?

*edit I see Adlers brothers post.

Maybe they did... maybe they didn't and Adler just doesn't remember exactly what was recorded, or exactly how many cuts they made of the song or how many times Slash laid a solo down for the song. It sounds different to AFD without question.

It sounds weird in comparison to AFD, but I think it's good.

Edited by Tom2112

7 hours ago, DeadSlash said:

I'm not sure that the Wilbury nicknames were because of legalities. It was probably just humorous. The case of the Travelling Wilburys was very different anyway. Musicians signed to different labels formed a supergroup and recorded albums of original material, so there had to be a settlement with each one's label.

GnR released a song other versions of which were officially released by the same band in the past. It's a song that is part of the back catalogue. The publishing rights and the ownership of the back catalogue are clear. All the songs of that era are credited to all five of them as songwriters (plus additional credits for co-writers, like in this case Paul Huge/Tobias), so Steven will get royalties regardless of whether he plays on this version or not. He doesn't have ownership of the back catalogue though, meaning that his permission is not needed to use the songs he is credited as songwriter or plays on (same goes for Izzy). Axl, Slash and Duff (and the label) have ownership of the back catalogue.

• GNFNR 1

On May 2, 2018 at 7:05 AM, soon said:

The dynamics are definitely scooped in a way that suits computer and cell phone speakers. They just hardly hint at the gusto of Adlers gated snare sound in this mix - its like they removed the gated reverb and replaced it with something to hint at it.  More like a multi band compression with a punchy and sustained decay on the high-mids of the snare.  Kick sounds pretty bad imo.  Just dead flat.

Im happy that my snare analysis from May 2 in the Destruction is Coming thread turned out to be so close to what the engineer shows in the tutorial vid.  He'd obviously adjust his approach for specific tracks and drummers, but yay!

Edited by soon
  • Like 1