Your thoughts on the Shadow of your Love single?

13 hours ago, WhazUp said:

I would say this is a possibility, and if you add on the addition of the fact that they probably added a SHIT ton of processing like compressing the shit out of it (based on the dynamic range level), EQ, and tons more, you can radically change the tone of each individual part of the drum set to where it would sound like a totally different kit even

It is amazing how much you can alter the sound of things with DAWS and basic plugins nowadays, they probably just imported the multitrack tapes into ProTools, edited the crap out of everything, slapped on a new Slash solo and whatnot.  I like the result overall, I wish it was a bit less squished dynamically but I like the mix overall, and the drum sound.  But there is do doubt that it is heavy altered from what it probably originally was

On May 4, 2018 at 10:31 AM, soon said:

Also, do you figure thats Adler counting it in?  I dont much know his pre-stroke voice and dont recognize the voice.

Actually the drums have been really piquing my curiosity in a few ways.  Theres the question of whether this version has had its tempo digitally altered (quantized) and though I have no idea and find that highly unlikely even for Guns, there are a few things in the drums that could speak to that.  Through out the song Adler is modulating back and forth between straight triplet shuffle to a faux-triplet shuffle.  On its own that seems like a very Adler thing to do, especially so early on in his professional recording life.  But sometimes when a tempo is quantized things that fit in one tempo/metre no longer work in the changed meter. This is especially the case when a part isnt in perfect time. From what I understand the band didnt record to a click, at least not with Clink at the helm.  So when stuffs out of time then you get into quantizing some sort of compromise.  Or you quantize in sections.  Sometimes things that technically musically 'work' after this process still stand out to the human ear as unnatural.  This could contribute to the two types of shuffles. But mainly, to my ear, theres a hint of a poorly quantized note on the kick between 0:27-0:35 on the video version, namely one of the hits around 0:30.  

Not saying it is, but theres aspects to the drums that leave room for questions, imo.

And I just quoted myself twice within 5 minutes, haha :facepalm:.  But I couldnt figure out a better phrasing for where Im coming from.  Mostly Id love to hear peoples thoughts on the possible quantize quirk between 0:27-0:35 pretty much on 0:30ish there is a kick that seems to be linking the slightly different drum patterns and feels very mechanical to my ears.  Not that Im entrenched with the thought that their is tempo editing, just fun to geek out on it.  I think you've since made lots of great points on what else could be going on with the drums.

As you say there is so many ways to to use audio gear to change and make it sound like a different kit or even player.  I think the treatment on the crash and splash is different then classic Adler; less emphasized in mix with a thinned out, less percussive tone.  Between no gated reverb on snare and the distant cymbals some of Adlers core features that give him that explosive kinda attack are absent.  Thats how it sounds to my ears at least.

I wish mix wasnt so squished too.  Id been bracing myself for worse, so Ill happily take this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tucknroll said:

Guys it's not about remembering,  it really is a feeling and you know if it's you playing. Might sound stupid to folks who don't play but you know when you hear it

As a musician though, I do know that you can alter the sounds of recorded things dramatically.  And if something is altered, that you haven't heard in over 30 years, it is entirely possible that the person could feel like it isn't them when it isn't them. 

• GNFNR 1

All the ‘die hard ‘ fans here are what brought this site and it’s greatness to even exist , and in those many years of waiting and hoping , we did not tear any member down ( especially for a disease that more than one original member has) so you can throw barbs at Steven but chances are you started liking this band because of axl or the original replacements, you weren’t Around when the fan base was phenomenal, you attack a founder you ain’t gonna skate without some pushback 

• Like 3
  • GNFNR 1

21 hours ago, NachoLZ said:

He can reach the same notes and stuff, but the tone of his voice has changed, its obviously a recording from the 80s.

No it's not! it's new vocals! It's funny how people say he's at his best when he's with ac/dc and then they say he's different with GNR. That's called fiction!

1 hour ago, Fourteenbeers said:

His vocals are different on this version. More rasp and a bit faster as well.

On 5/14/2018 at 3:37 PM, Propaganda said:

See I told you! It's obviously re-recorded! Axl's vocals are new, the guitars are from Slash and are new, and the Drums are from Frank and are new as well...

Axl's vocals are definitely 100 percent not new

7 minutes ago, Ratam said:

Glad me you said this, i be bored said that not new Axl vocals :shrugs:

I am surprised people think this is 2016-2018 Axl!  This is obviously Axl from 1986, hell not even Axl starting from 1988 would ever sound exactly like again, he has very distinct "vocal eras" 

• Like 1

Just now, WhazUp said:

I am surprised people think this is 2016-2018 Axl!  This is obviously Axl from 1986, hell not even Axl starting from 1988 would ever sound exactly like again, he has very distinct "vocal eras" 

His vocals are a very young guy 

1 minute ago, soon said:

I believe she means that she's getting tired off repeating that its not new axl vocals.  I have a 95% comprehension of @Ratam but I might be wrong in this case? :) 

You are riiiigggghhhhtttt!!!!:lol: you deserve a award🌞👍

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

It is possible that the Adler brothers do not realise the nuances of the three versions and are merely making a direct contrast with the ubiquitous Sound City and Pasha versions, and that Steven has forgotten the Clink recording; the line, ''even Slash guitar solo (sic) is totally different then the original'' seems to indicate this sort of direct comparison, but then Steven was adamant (''that's definitely not me'') and it is not as if Guns haven't pulled this stunt before - and not lied about it also. 

I agree with this 100%!

I believe Adler is comparing the drums on the released track with the Pasha demo and notices that it's different and thus discards it, but hey what do I know?

3 hours ago, WhazUp said:

As a musician though, I do know that you can alter the sounds of recorded things dramatically.  And if something is altered, that you haven't heard in over 30 years, it is entirely possible that the person could feel like it isn't them when it isn't them. 

Another thing to consider is most guys especially pros can tell you what exact instruments they played a song on. I think Steven would know. I may be wrong but I also don't hear izzys hollowbody guitar at all. Slashs sound doesn't sound like the afd amp either 

56 minutes ago, Tucknroll said:

Another thing to consider is most guys especially pros can tell you what exact instruments they played a song on. I think Steven would know. I may be wrong but I also don't hear izzys hollowbody guitar at all. Slashs sound doesn't sound like the afd amp either 

It wouldn't be. He stole that amp from SIR when they were rehearsing for Appetite, then when the album was near completion SIR stole the amp back!

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Fashionista said:

Wouldn't SOYL have been recorded during the AFD sessions? 

If this boxset's version is the ''Mike Clink version'' it was a demo which preceded Appetite; the whole thing was a sort of rehearsal of Mike Clink - p.281 of Reckless Road has the information.

2 hours ago, The Real McCoy said:

Shadow is rocketing up the rock radio airplay charts! From #22 to #12 this week - and the most added song with the biggest increase in spins for the second week in a row!

Cool last time I heard today it was at 16??? I heard them play it today on 102.5 wdve. The first time I heard it in a car stereo. It sounded good, the DJ mentioned that they had never heard the track and she said it should have been on Appetite. 

I think next week it should get more plays and hit it's stride. I think it will definitely be in the top ten, that would be cool to see it break into the top 5 

• GNFNR 1