Your thoughts on the Shadow of your Love single?

21 hours ago, WhazUp said:

I would say this is a possibility, and if you add on the addition of the fact that they probably added a SHIT ton of processing like compressing the shit out of it (based on the dynamic range level), EQ, and tons more, you can radically change the tone of each individual part of the drum set to where it would sound like a totally different kit even

It is amazing how much you can alter the sound of things with DAWS and basic plugins nowadays, they probably just imported the multitrack tapes into ProTools, edited the crap out of everything, slapped on a new Slash solo and whatnot.  I like the result overall, I wish it was a bit less squished dynamically but I like the mix overall, and the drum sound.  But there is do doubt that it is heavy altered from what it probably originally was

If they have multitrack tapes available from back then that they can isolate the drums from. The overall playing of the drums feels different though, not like how Steven played back then. All of his signature energy isn't there (to me anyways). Basically imagine during the Ritz '88 show when he's all smiling and happy, when I hear this song I don't imagine that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Order of Nine said:

Cool last time I heard today it was at 16??? I heard them play it today on 102.5 wdve. The first time I heard it in a car stereo. It sounded good, the DJ mentioned that they had never heard the track and she said it should have been on Appetite. 

I think next week it should get more plays and hit it's stride. I think it will definitely be in the top ten, that would be cool to see it break into the top 5 

It should at the very least crack the top 10 next week.

47 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

If they have multitrack tapes available from back then that they can isolate the drums from. The overall playing of the drums feels different though, not like how Steven played back then. All of his signature energy isn't there (to me anyways). Basically imagine during the Ritz '88 show when he's all smiling and happy, when I hear this song I don't imagine that.

That can be a lot of factors, even something such as compression - which they used fairly liberally here, can effect dynamic range and therefore effect overall energy.  If they used a shit ton of EQ, and used time based effects such as reverb on the drums differently that will affect the overall sound as well.  

To me, overall I do hear the "Popcorn-ness" of the drums however yeah it definitely is a different sound they went for in this new mix than what they were going for in the late 80's

19 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Maybe they did... maybe they didn't and Adler just doesn't remember exactly what was recorded, or exactly how many cuts they made of the song or how many times Slash laid a solo down for the song. It sounds different to AFD without question.

Is It possibile that Steven is not receiving credits for this release of SOYL? So he could state he's not the One playing drums in this version....

Edited by Italian girl

1 hour ago, Italian girl said:

Is It possibile that Steven is not receiving credits for this release of SOYL? So he could state he's not the One playing drums in this version....

He's in the credits on Spotify :shrugs:

• Confused 1

Mainstream rock is really a niche chart. I thought it was bigger but it's actually not :D  If you pay a bit you can have "insider" info and there's a dude on Muse's boards who has it posts Muse stuff and he wrote this:

"#3(-) Alternative Songs - Over 2,400 weekly spins and 8 million audience
#11(+1) Mainstream Rock (New Peak) - 2 million audience"

SOYL is a bit under Muse's song so I guess it's around 2 million audience too. That's like nothing in USA

Edited by Nicklord

10 hours ago, Italian girl said:

Anything is possible, but why they would try and cut him out would be the question. He's not getting writing credits, he would just be receiving a mechanical royalty so that would be a marginal royalty percentage.

I would imagine that credit is being given, but in the music industry crazy things happen every day so who knows :D

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Nicklord said:

Mainstream rock is really a niche chart. I thought it was bigger but it's actually not :D  If you pay a bit you can have "insider" info and there's a dude on Muse's boards who has it posts Muse stuff and he wrote this:

SOYL is a bit under Muse's song so I guess it's around 2 million audience too. That's like nothing in USA

Imagine if GNR went on late night TV and performed the song and put a little effort into promoting it, then you would see a shift in numbers. 

Those numbers are small though, but not surprising. BUT for a 30+ year old song to be number 2 in any chart is a positive, and maybe it leads to more releases.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Tucknroll said:

Another thing to consider is most guys especially pros can tell you what exact instruments they played a song on. I think Steven would know. I may be wrong but I also don't hear izzys hollowbody guitar at all. Slashs sound doesn't sound like the afd amp either 

I definitely hear Izzy's playing on that song, sounds more like a les paul though than a hollow body, which he used from time to time. Do we know what session that version SOYL came from? maybe it was a session before the official recording of AFD, there's a lot of room for tonal changes if the mic was move an inch one way or the other, or if they turned the Amps settings up or down.

I agree that most pros can tell you exactly what gear they used on a particular album or song... but a lot of musicians can't too, a lot of them especially in the early days plug in and play and don't worry too much about the makes and models, or microphones used or how the mics were set up... I REALLY doubt Steven was in the studio thinking about all that stuff. Steven might be interested in that stuff now, but back then he was a ball of energy and he just wanted to play, if they set up a set up pots and pans he would have played on that! 

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

3 hours ago, Nicklord said:

Muse is a joke and at best are like background elevator music "rock" 

27 minutes ago, Order of Nine said:

They put on a hell of a live show tbh, I saw them a couple of years ago and it was a great show.  Their more recent albums have gotten more mellow but their early albums are pretty hard rockin'

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Order of Nine said:

Uhhh says you

Showbiz-Black Holes is a phenomenal run of records. Their more recent albums may not be as good, but there is still a lot of solid material to be found. Matt is an insane talent, especially on guitar. They kick ass live, too.

• Like 2

Just now, ZoSoRose said:

Uhhh says you

Showbiz-Black Holes is a phenomenal run of records. Their more recent albums may not be as good, but there is still a lot of solid material to be found. Matt is an insane talent, especially on guitar. They kick ass live, too.

I just strongly disagree they are rock. I suppose Brian Johnson solidified them as a rock band when he jammed with them.

They just don't have a rock band energy or attack to me.

3 minutes ago, Order of Nine said:

I just strongly disagree they are rock. I suppose Brian Johnson solidified them as a rock band when he jammed with them.

They just don't have a rock band energy or attack to me.

They are a rock band for sure :headbang:

• Like 3

I'll relisten. But they have never rocked hard to me. I guess my standard is different.

I've had people tell me maroon five is a rock band too, I think the mainstream standards have kind of blurred the line imho.

Edited by Order of Nine

1 hour ago, Order of Nine said:

How is this not rock?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9lP1mQT7pM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXN9acC9edU

Or if you want from the latest record 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcNEC9NaJuE

They have some pop songs like Madness but that's like saying GnR aren't rock cause they did Patience

Edited by Nicklord
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Order of Nine said:

I'll relisten. But they have never rocked hard to me. I guess my standard is different.

I've had people tell me maroon five is a rock band too, I think the mainstream standards have kind of blurred the line imho.

Sure it has, but Muse is a rock band. No debating it