Your thoughts on the Shadow of your Love single?

On 5/20/2018 at 10:06 AM, Iron MikeyJ said:

As far as Axl's live vocals go... this is my 2 cents: I would rather him sing the songs in a way that makes them sound good as opposed to how he sung them originally. When I listen to the Forum recordings, the biggest thing that I take away from that show (besides the fact Axl sounds great probably 80% of the time that concert) is his NATURAL singing voice is actually really good. I'm not talking about raspy Axl or Mickey or anywhere in between. I'm talking about Natural Axl, the one that songs the Seeker and Witchita Lineman. I feel he could use THAT natural Axl vocals on MOST songs and he would sound AMAZING, especially songs like November Rain and Estranged. Would he sound like he does on the album? No. And I think that's the REAL issue here, he still wants to show/prove he can still sing like Axl Rose with this amazing range. Which he can, just not on a nightly basis during a tour. 

My small piece of advice I would give him is simple, Don't sing the songs the way you think they should sound. Instead sing the songs in a way that makes them sound the best you can in 2018. Which I personally really enjoy his NATURAL singing voice, and I think November Rain, Estranged and perhaps CD songs like This I Love and TWAT would sound BETTER if he sang them this way.

I have to agree with you, it also wouldn’t hurt having Izzy there to sing Dust N’ Bones and 14 Years, Duff sing Attitude and maybe So Fine. Another huge thing would be add songs that are in his natural register like Bad Obsession, You Ain’t the First, Pretty Tied Up, Since I don’t Have you, etc. 

12 hours ago, default_ said:

Me too, Id love to have all the vinyls actually but not paying a thousand bucks. 

I live in Brazil and converting it to brazilian real (our currency) it turns into almost R$4k. R$4000 here is like four to five months of hard work for the average pleb. 

Here in Argentina is even worst, we need like $ 23.000 argentinian "pesos" to buy the box, just way too much, sadly.

• Sad 1

31 minutes ago, fernomenoyde said:

Here in Argentina is even worst, we need like $ 23.000 argentinian "pesos" to buy the box, just way too much, sadly.

Cos that's only for the rich.

This kind of stuff is cool for Kiss i guess. If i have to spend that kind of money it better be new music.

I am applying this to the band in general now and not just this boxset specifically but there is a strange incongruence generated by selling the aesthetics of (replica) rock n' roll-squalor at upper middle class prices. Makes me feel that the old dog-eared Appetite vinyl you've owned since the late '80s is still a superior and more authentic listening experience. 

PS

They should open up the ''Gardner studio'' as a fun fair attraction? $100 tickets to gawp at the location where Izzy spermed on Slash's leg (or was that Adler on Slash? Who cares?). Buy bottles of souvenir Nightrain at Moët & Chandon prices. 

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, fernomenoyde said:

Do you think the big box will make it to our stores? Who is going to buy that?

If you buy it online, you have to add shipping price and customs!! Would they even allow it at customs here? How much does it weight, I think it's a big box. :nervous:

1 hour ago, killuridols said:

Do you think the big box will make it to our stores? Who is going to buy that?

If you buy it online, you have to add shipping price and customs!! Would they even allow it at customs here? How much does it weight, I think it's a big box. :nervous:

i've just noted you're argentinian too! :o

And yes, i guess some specialized store is going to bring one big box, for no less than 50.000

I actually quite like this version, sounds definitely most mature from all of them. it's just ridiculous to pretend it's a new track and milk money from it. normal bands release such 30 years old relicts as goodies for free.

• Like 2

On 5/23/2018 at 3:41 PM, zombux said:

I actually quite like this version, sounds definitely most mature from all of them. it's just ridiculous to pretend it's a new track and milk money from it. normal bands release such 30 years old relicts as goodies for free.

Bands release b-sides all the time as singles when they release box sets or greatest hits.  Obviously they want something to promote it. 

I mean seriously how weird would it be to have a new 180 dollar deluxe box set and a new 2 disc version of AFD hitting shelves and NO single to promote it?

lol you guys complain about everything.  

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

I still cant understand why havent they put the so called "new single" on the album tho. It would fit the compact disc just well and the vinyl has a whole side full of nothing where they chose to put a fuckin hologram lol

I believe they would attract way more buyers of the vinyl only/CD only edition had they put SOYL on it as most of people considers the mix and master of the original as a masterpiece. Im seriously considering not buying the remastered edition as Im one of those. 

Its a fuckin re-issue, a bonus track wouldnt kill. 

Edited by default_

4 hours ago, default_ said:

I still cant understand why havent they put the so called "new single" on the album tho. It would fit the compact disc just well and the vinyl has a whole side full of nothing where they chose to put a fuckin hologram lol

I believe they would attract way more buyers of the vinyl only/CD only edition had they put SOYL on it as most of people considers the mix and master of the original as a masterpiece. Im seriously considering not buying the remastered edition as Im one of those. 

Its a fuckin re-issue, a bonus track wouldnt kill. 

It is such an iconic album,  they view it as perfect as the way it is.   The single is on disc 2 of the special edition. 

Personally I think AFD would be better with SoYL instead of Anything Goes but I can understand why they don't want to change such an iconic album. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Screamin' Demon said:

I personally like it - quite vivacious, has a groovy rhythm to it. More or less stands for what Gn'R were in their early days. Pity it seemingly won't make it into the setlist; Axl could easily pull this number off and many fans would feel reinvigorated by it alone. 

The setlist that was posted in the forum is almost certain to not be the setlist for this leg of the tour. Pretty sure it's just the set from the Forum last year with a couple songs blacked out. There's every chance they will play Shadow of Your Love, and you'd think it would be a bit silly of them not too given they just released it as a single. 

57 minutes ago, Caedo said:

The setlist that was posted in the forum is almost certain to not be the setlist for this leg of the tour. Pretty sure it's just the set from the Forum last year with a couple songs blacked out. There's every chance they will play Shadow of Your Love, and you'd think it would be a bit silly of them not too given they just released it as a single. 

Let's hope it isn't the upcoming setlist and that we do get some refreshments, Shadow Of Your Love included! :)

Edited by Screamin' Demon

I like the verse, but the chorus is kind of bland. All in all it feels like pretty much lika a b-side from an album that came out 30 years ago. It is cool that it is released in this box-set as a document of what the band was up to in this time period, and I hope they follow this release with UYI and CD- boxes sometime in the future. The pricing is pretty outrageous though. 

I don't really want to hear this live, if they want to bring in more 80s stuff (which I really don't think they need to do) I'd prefer reckless life, nice boys or move to the city. 

One thing I don't get: Adler said he doesn't *think* those are his drums on the new SOYL. But wouldn't it just be evident whether he is or isn't on the track from knowing if he will or won't be receiving royalties from the re release?

• Like 2

On 16/5/2018 at 5:17 PM, Order of Nine said:

First reminds me of Radiohead, the overhead mics on the drums seem way to hot, but possibly helps it to rock a little.  Bands like this, Marron 5, the killers, Coldplay, radiohead that type of thing it's just quirky pop that trys to rock but never fully takes flight inmho. Outta that batch I'd say the killers rock the most cause thier drummer actually creates that energy. 

I can get into Radiohead and the killers I love ok computer and the killers first release, but each are more easy listening pop more then they could ever care to admit 

Play this track before SOYL and I'm sure you'll notice the energy level difference. 

Too Whiny To Rock