Your thoughts on the Shadow of your Love single?

5 hours ago, Gibson_Guy87 said:

Ugh, I know what you're talking about. Any of the modern rock I listen to I discovered from either Spotify or recommendations from friends. A ton of what I hear on rock radio these days is so formulaic and bland. There's a few diamonds in the rough but most of it sounds the same to me.

There’s so many new bands releasing covers of classic rock songs right now they it’s just really sad. New rock bands can’t even write their own songs, for the most part. 

• Like 1

On 30/5/2018 at 9:50 PM, NovemberPain said:

6th on active rock chart. That's pretty high for a 30 years old demo. I hope management sees it as an opportunity to release new songs as there is interest on the band.

It will reach to first without doubt.

There are so many "rock charts" at Billboard. Which one matters the most? Because I only see Shadow at 6th on the "Mainstream rock songs", but it isn't on the "Hot rock songs" chart. It's kinda confusing

I think the way he sang that live may reopen the question of whether Axl did touch any of the shadow. I mean his vocal tone was really very close last night to the recorded version. Wouldn't be hard to imagine in a studio setting Axl could sing just like he did and nearly replicate those early vocals.

Regardless of the case, all the people who thought Axl couldn't sing this song like he used got a good ole rocket up their backsides!

• Like 1

On 03/06/2018 at 8:25 AM, The Real McCoy said:

There’s so many new bands releasing covers of classic rock songs right now they it’s just really sad. New rock bands can’t even write their own songs, for the most part. 

Or trying too copy the bands from the 70s ala greta von fleet. Robert plant toured oz last month and even when he was being interviewed plant mentioned  the lead singer sounds like robert during zep era.

• Like 1

They performed it really well in Denmark and Axl was on point. Which kinda highlighted how the song is rather static, lacking Guns signature dynamics. More like a selection for Duffs solo section rather then a Guns hit single.

On 01/06/2018 at 12:56 PM, ZoSoRose said:

My one friend texted me today saying how much he liked the "new" GNR song. He is in his late 30s/early 40s and saw the GNR reunion once at the Ford Field show. He is exactly the demographic that the band targets. He had no idea SOYL was all recorded in 1986, to him it was 100% new

Im hoping axl doesnt have a light bulb moment and release something off CD as the next single.

Edited by Sydney Fan
  • Like 1

I liked this song when I first heard it as a b-side (I think it was LALD single?) back in the early 90's. So not too excited about the "new" single, but hey at least they release something and I think it's cool they play it live in concert too. I'd love to see them put out at least an EP with new material but with the AFD rehash and all I dont see that happening.

17 hours ago, adamsapple said:

I liked this song when I first heard it as a b-side (I think it was LALD single?) back in the early 90's. So not too excited about the "new" single, but hey at least they release something and I think it's cool they play it live in concert too. I'd love to see them put out at least an EP with new material but with the AFD rehash and all I dont see that happening.

Not until after Slash solo and AxlDC I guess. Maybe then the UYI boxset or a NITL blu ray. 

20 hours ago, adamsapple said:

Not until after Slash solo and AxlDC I guess. Maybe then the UYI boxset or a NITL blu ray. 

Double post? Oh hell yes

Edited by wasted

"Steven went on record saying 'I don't think that's me playing drums on it'. I have talked to a couple of other people (who went) 'Yeah, you know....we changed the drums'" - Mitch Lafon, June 2018

"According to Tom Zutaut, who has heard the track, he thinks Steven was replaced too (on 'Shadow of Your Love')" - Alan Niven, June 2018

At the 1h28m50s mark

https://omny.fm/shows/rock-talk-with-mitch-lafon/a-flock-of-seagulls-kofi-baker-guns-n-roses#sharing

1 hour ago, ludurigan said:

"Steven went on record saying 'I don't think that's me playing drums on it'. I have talked to a couple of other people (who went) 'Yeah, you know....we changed the drums'" - Mitch Lafon, June 2018

"According to Tom Zutaut, who has heard the track, he thinks Steven was replaced too (on 'Shadow of Your Love')" - Alan Niven, June 2018

At the 1h28m50s mark

https://omny.fm/shows/rock-talk-with-mitch-lafon/a-flock-of-seagulls-kofi-baker-guns-n-roses#sharing

I want to know who these other people are that Mitch has talked to.

1 hour ago, MaskingApathy said:

I want to know who these other people are that Mitch has talked to.

that would be nice, huh? mitch is not telling you or me i suppose

i also suppose that more important than finding who spilled the beans is that for the umpteenth time we come to the realization that GNR whatever is left of GNR lies a lot -- and they are not any good at it

7 hours ago, ludurigan said:

At the 1h28m50s mark

This is not a difficult mystery to solve by Steven.  If he gets paid performance royalties then it is him (or at least some of it is).  If he doesn't, then it's not him.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gnrcane said:

This is not a difficult mystery to solve by Steven.  If he gets paid performance royalties then it is him (or at least some of it is).  If he doesn't, then it's not him.

not sure about that

GNR whatever is left of GNR operates in such a pathetic way that they are very well capable of replacing steven's drumming (to please the "vision" and the elevated taste of we know who) AND pay performance royalties to steven to cover it up

they have done worse

The most credible source about this would be Mike Clink. He had done the SOYL recording session and kept the tapes.

Steven doesn't seem to remember the Clink session at all. He remembers only one recording of this song (in the Live Like A Suicide sessions) although there were three.

Judging from the current live version, it definitely isn't Frank on drums.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ludurigan said:

not sure about that

GNR whatever is left of GNR operates in such a pathetic way that they are very well capable of replacing steven's drumming (to please the "vision" and the elevated taste of we know who) AND pay performance royalties to steven to cover it up

they have done worse

Its something that happens frequently enough in the industry. A session musician is paid for the session, not royalties. The name on album and the royalties still go to the official player. Mostly with drummers, but it can be any instrument. Lead guitar also being common in rock. Theres the one Kiss album where Ace doesn't really know which parts are him or not. Or how Jon Keltner seems to have done at least some drum work on Pettys Damn the Torpedoes.

Heres Courtney Love calling the move a 'classic rock cliche' about how Hole producer Beinhorn had Dean Castoronova ghost play on Celebrity Skin (even though it was an open secret given that the original drummer bailed as a result).

"Patty, who's been my drummer for years and years and years, she had like a two-year living-in-a-tent crack existence [in] downtown [Los Angeles]. I did this very "classic rock" horrible thing where I let the producer tell me that she sucked, let him play me a tape—this is so, like, out of the rock bad cliché book—let him play me a tape of her sounding the worst, that he had basically cobbled together. He'd kept a guy on retainer the whole time [...] I ruined her life for two years because I kicked her out of the band for the duration of the record."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celebrity_Skin#Drum_tracks