Your thoughts on the Shadow of your Love single?

I still believe that it is the original recorded tracks, heavily remixed with tempo editing. Axl talked about wanting to update the drum tones from that era. If one takes away Adlers famous snare tone and then quantizes it away from Adlers swing, it is for all intents and purposes no longer an Adler performance - but I think it still is constructed off of his original performance.

For one thing; the drum pattern choices are a bit shaky here and there. Would be weird to settle for that in a re-recording for this billion dollar NITL GNR era.

The 'modern' drum tone also goes along way in presenting this as a "brand new single."

Edited by soon

10 minutes ago, soon said:

Its something that happens frequently enough in the industry. A session musician is paid for the session, not royalties. The name on album and the royalties still go to the official player. Mostly with drummers, but it can be any instrument. Lead guitar also being common in rock. Theres the one Kiss album where Ace doesn't really know which parts are him or not. Or how Jon Keltner seems to have done at least some drum work on Pettys Damn the Torpedoes.

Heres Courtney Love calling the move a 'classic rock cliche' about how Hole producer Beinhorn had Dean Castoronova ghost play on Celebrity Skin (even though it was an open secret given that the original drummer bailed as a result).

"Patty, who's been my drummer for years and years and years, she had like a two-year living-in-a-tent crack existence [in] downtown [Los Angeles]. I did this very "classic rock" horrible thing where I let the producer tell me that she sucked, let him play me a tape—this is so, like, out of the rock bad cliché book—let him play me a tape of her sounding the worst, that he had basically cobbled together. He'd kept a guy on retainer the whole time [...] I ruined her life for two years because I kicked her out of the band for the duration of the record."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celebrity_Skin#Drum_tracks

the kiss stories are atrocious, lots of ghost players

i believe psycho circus "reunion" album is the worst of them all by far!

hey, but it's KISS!

• GNFNR 1

2 minutes ago, soon said:

I still believe that it is the original recorded tracks, heavily remixed with tempo editing. Axl talked about wanting to update the drum tones from that era. If one takes away Adlers famous snare tone and then quantizes it away from Adlers swing, it is for all intents and purposes no longer an Adler performance - but I think it still is constructed off of his original performance.

For one thing; the drum pattern choices are a bit shaky here and there. Would be weird to settle for that in a re-recording for this billion dollar NITL GNR era.

The 'modern' drum tone also goes along way in presenting this as a "brand new single."

i wonder how axl would feel if his voice was "updated" or "heavily remixed with tempo editing" or suffered anything similar, so much so that "for all intents and purposes" it would be "no longer an Axl performance".

seriously...

the fact that axl or whoever in GNR what is left of GNR thinks he (them) is (are) entitled to do something like that to somebody else, specially to a former comrade like Adler, shows you all you need to know about how much he (them) respects other people "art" or "input" or "work" or whatever you wanna call it...

8 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

i wonder how axl would feel if his voice was "updated" or "heavily remixed with tempo editing" or suffered anything similar, so much so that "for all intents and purposes" it would be "no longer an Axl performance".

seriously...

the fact that axl or whoever in GNR what is left of GNR thinks he (them) is (are) entitled to do something like that to somebody else, specially to a former comrade like Adler, shows you all you need to know about how much he (them) respects other people "art" or "input" or "work" or whatever you wanna call it...

If it turns out Im correct, then I would feel strongly about it too. Im confident in my observation, but its just a guess along with other theories so far.

But Axl did a similar thing to Brian Mays Catcher solo, right? In that he cut and paste and made a 'new part.' And May had a similar response as Adler in not recognizing it.

Axl seems to have got really excited about using digital in studio and it seems he has only figured out the cut and paste part, so all his excitement is channeled to that activity, lol. Im sure Axl didnt mean any disrespect to May, though. 

7 hours ago, Gnrcane said:

This is not a difficult mystery to solve by Steven.  If he gets paid performance royalties then it is him (or at least some of it is).  If he doesn't, then it's not him.

Agreed, good sense 👍

6 hours ago, soon said:

If it turns out Im correct, then I would feel strongly about it too. Im confident in my observation, but its just a guess along with other theories so far.

But Axl did a similar thing to Brian Mays Catcher solo, right? In that he cut and paste and made a 'new part.' And May had a similar response as Adler in not recognizing it.

Axl seems to have got really excited about using digital in studio and it seems he has only figured out the cut and paste part, so all his excitement is channeled to that activity, lol. Im sure Axl didnt mean any disrespect to May, though. 

looks like axl hasnt learned anything (in more than one way/sense) with the brian may cut and paste fiasco

seriously

16 hours ago, ludurigan said:

seriously...

lol yeah poor Stevie sitting on his millions. Fuck Steven.

10 hours ago, ludurigan said:

looks like axl hasnt learned anything (in more than one way/sense) with the brian may cut and paste fiasco

seriously

Lol 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/5/2018 at 3:23 AM, Derick said:

I can’t stop listening!!!!! It’s AWESOME!!!!! Great production!!!!

P.S.: Did you guys realized that it’s Melissa Fkn’ Reese on the backing vocals? :lol:

YES, AND DID YOU HEAR FRANK'S TOUCH...

The high hat in the verses and bridge is what makes clear to my ears that its Adler. And especially the fact that the weighty strikes and the swing feel of the high hat comes and goes through out the song - which is especially an Adler trait.

Lots else could be said, but for me thats where I draw my personal conclusion from.

• Like 1