One In A Million being erased from history

everyone has their taste, but to me it's too political of a song, which makes it a bit un-rock n roll I guess. I'd hate to drive the streets with the lyrics 'immigrants and f**, they make no sense to me' blasting out of the window. I can see why it's omitted. the lyrics pissed off Slash to not a small degree, with his immigrant background. A crack in the friendship probably started there and then.

as for the song itself, it's a bit flat. there is not much variation the whole song through. Don't see the appeal myself. Remove the offensive lyrics and what remains is a generic americana song that goes nowhere really.

Edited by action
  • Like 1

I find the demo a lot better than the studio version. Good song and good instrumentally. On Spotify it actually is the most popular song from Lies after (obviously) Patience and Used To Love Her.

I think we'll never see a Lies reissue or whatever just because of the song though.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Like 3

It's a good song. The lyrics never bothered me because I understand what he was trying to say, but I can see why a lot of people didn't get it. It could have used a bridge or something though, just to give it a little bit more variation. 

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

36 minutes ago, estrangedtwat said:

In my top ten GNR songs for sure.  Even with all the racist shit.   It is what it is, and it's a product of its time.

Axl said as far back as 1999 that he wanted it erased from the record.  Thankfully we'll always have our copies.

this

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, -W.A.R- said:

Removed it from what? OIAM wasn't on LLAS.

No But the B-Sides and EP's CD is basically Live Liek A suicide and LIES.. Putting Shadows in LLAS and omitting One In A Million from the LIES side..

41 minutes ago, action said:

I can see why it's omitted. the lyrics pissed off Slash to not a small degree, with his immigrant background. A crack in the friendship probably started there and then.

I don't think it was Slash's "immigrant background" that caused the issue.  More likely his half black background caused him to have somewhat of an issue with the "n-word" being used in the song, in a non-flattering context.

As much as the music bangs, it's the sound of a coddled, white millionaire having a tone deaf temper tantrum and coke meltdown and is possibly the most embarrassing thing a band of that size and stature has ever done. It's to the band's credit that they want to forget about it. If you want to sing along and pretend you're sticking it to some invisible boogie man, you still can, whatever, but you're nuts if you think this band in 2018 is ever want to go near that song again.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, mr-fukaji said:

As much as the music bangs, it's the sound of a coddled, white millionaire having a tone deaf temper tantrum and coke meltdown and is possibly the most embarrassing thing a band of that size and stature has ever done. It's to the band's credit that they want to forget about it. If you want to sing along and pretend you're sticking it to some invisible boogie man, you still can, whatever, but you're nuts if you think this band in 2018 is ever want to go near that song again.

That song was likely written long before he became a millionaire. Appetite was not an immediate success. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I doubt and hope it's not ever removed from Lies, it's a killer tune. I can understand though in this type of situation with a set where they get to pick and choose what's included that they left it out.

57 minutes ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

I think you misunderstand the intention of the song and the meaning of its lyrics.

No, I completely get it. It's Guns n Roses, they're very easy to get, they're a big dumb rock band. That's why I still very firmly believe it's a withering, anemic piece of shit dressed up by a guy who needed a mealy mouthed excuse to cover his ignorance, which he thankfully realized. 

Edited by mr-fukaji
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1