Tracks Missing From The New Box Set.

I'm a collector of old demos and recordings from GN'R. Before the box set was even announced, I was making my own CD of all the demos, I see that several recordings are missing. Why did they choose to leave these out? Perhaps they are saving them? I assume all the Mystic studio recordings are missing? Here's a list of what I know are not included. Forgive me if the list is not complete, but due to the fact they left some songs out I will continue making my own tack list of the recordings they did not include.

Jungle: at least 3 versions exist

Back off Bitch: has 2 versions

Don't Cry: has 2-3 versions

Cornshucker: demo recording

OIAM: Demo recording

Heartbreak Hotel: has 2 versions

Jumpin' Jack Flash: has 3 versions

Mr. Brownstone: a poor quality version

SCOM: a poor quality version

Nightrain: has 2 versions

Rocket Queen: has 2 versions

- Mystic Studio (August '85) :

'Welcome To The Jungle' + 'Anything Goes' + 'Don't Cry' (officially released) + 'Back Off Bitch' + 'Think About You'

-> ALL of these were bootlegged in the late 80's.  Recently surfaced in pristine quality by Troccolli. 'Heartbreak Hotel' was also recorded, but was not on the demo, and never bootlegged.  

- Sound City Studios (June '86):

'Out Ta Get Me' + 'Rocket Queen' (2 takes) + 'Nightrain' + 'My Michelle' + 'You’re Crazy' + 'Paradise City' + 'Move To The City' + 'November Rain [Acoustic] + 'Shadow Of Your Love' (officially released) + 'Reckless Life' + 'Think About You' + 'Welcome To The Jungle' + 'Don’t Cry' + 'Nice Boys + 'Back Off Bitch' + 'Anything Goes' + 'Mama Kin' + 'Heartbreak Hotel' + 'Ain’t Going Down'  [Instrumental] + 'Jumping Jack Flash' + 'Jumping Jack Flash' [Acoustic] + 'November Rain' [Piano] + 'East Coast Junkie' [Acoustic] / 'Move To The City' [Acoustic]

-> ALL of these were bootlegged in the late 80's.  Other stuff was recorded but never bootlegged: 'Cornchucker', 'The Plague', ... Most run at the wrong speed/pitch.

- Pasha Studios (August '86)

'Reckless Life' (offically released) + ' Nice Boys' (offically released) + 'Move To The City' (offically released)  + 'Mama Kin' (offically released) + 'Shadow Of Your Love' (offically released) + 'Welcome To The Jungle' + 'You're Crazy' + 'Heartbreak Hotel' + 'Jumpin' Jack Flash' + 'Mr. Brownstone' + 'Nightrain' + 'Sweet Child O' Mine' + 'Don't Cry'

> ALL of these were bootlegged in the late 80's.  Without fake crowd noise.  8 of these were surfaced in pristine quality by Alan Niven.  The rest run at the wrong speed/pitch.

Edited by Nikki_Sixx
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, EvH said:

A shame that the amazing Sweet Child demo with the cool fade in, slower tempo and alternate solo isn't included. Baffling, even.

Or the (Alt. intro) Nightrain. It's my favorite, or the Anything Goes (Alt) Lyrics. Love that stuff.

On the subject of tracks missing from the box set, can someone help me please?

which of these Heartbreak Hotels is the one from the Sound City Sessions?

also, what is that compilation album that the first one is on? When was that released? I can't seem to find anything about it via Google search.

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Like 1

I hope there's 1 hidden track on this box set or more than 1 hidden tracks , like they did on the spaghetti incident.

and about the live tracks, I think they are saving this tracks to release in a future Live box set.

I am more interested in this live tracks more than this "unreleased " tracks on this box set.

22 minutes ago, houseri said:

Crash Diet is missing... great great song so BIG disappoinment for me that the song isn't on the box set.

There is a few which also were AFD sessions however may have also been recorded during UYI sessions with Bring it Back Home, Sentimental Movie, Too Much Too Soon, Just Another Sunday. Honestly don't think any of these worth the cut?? 

Cornshucker was surely recorded as a joke but can't see that appealing to too many female fans hence the exclusion.  

I think in the future there will be a definite remaster of the Illusion albums where we will see Ain't Goin' Down w/lyrics as well as maybe Just Another Sunday. 

What about the actual Appetite Sessions?

The three known studio sessions (Mystic, Pasha and Sound City) happened before the actual Appetite sessions

According to wikipedia, the band recorded the album at Rumbo Recorders in January 1987

After some weeks of rehearsal, the band entered Daryl Dragon's Rumbo Recorders in January 1987. Two weeks were spent recording basic tracks, with Clink splicing together the best takes with his razor blade. Clink worked eighteen-hour days for the next month, with Slash overdubbing in the afternoon and evening, and Rose performing vocals. Slash struggled to find a guitar sound before coming up with a Gibson Les Paul copy plugged into a Marshall amplifier. He spent hours with Clink paring down and structuring his solos. The total budget for the album was about $370,000.[2] According to drummer Steven Adler, the percussion was done in just six days, but Rose's vocals took much longer as he insisted on doing them one line at a time, in a perfectionism that drove the rest of the band away from the studio as he worked.[5] Final overdubs and mixing were done at Mediasound Studios, and mastering at Sterling Sound, New York City.[6]

i cant believe they didnt include the raw basic tracks without overdubs from the actual appetite sessions

i cant believe they didnt include the outtakes from the actual appetite sessions

i cant believe they didnt include alternate vocal takes from the actual appetite sessions

i cant believe they didnt include alternate solo takes from the actual appetite sessions

i cant believe that they stuffed this box with useless toys and didnt include all of this!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

On the subject of tracks missing from the box set, can someone help me please?

which of these Heartbreak Hotels is the one from the Sound City Sessions?

also, what is that compilation album that the first one is on? When was that released? I can't seem to find anything about it via Google search.

That compilation album is on itunes

Also just read which may indicate that the Vinyl on L&L is different to Super Deluxe "All of the bonus tracks appearing on 12” vinyl will only be available in the Locked N’ Loaded Edition box, including a reissue of the band’s first EP, Live ?!*@ Like A Suicide."

9 hours ago, NOVEMBER COMA said:

Also just read which may indicate that the Vinyl on L&L is different to Super Deluxe "All of the bonus tracks appearing on 12” vinyl will only be available in the Locked N’ Loaded Edition box, including a reissue of the band’s first EP, Live ?!*@ Like A Suicide."

Interesting. Where was this?

21 hours ago, ludurigan said:

What about the actual Appetite Sessions?

The three known studio sessions (Mystic, Pasha and Sound City) happened before the actual Appetite sessions

According to wikipedia, the band recorded the album at Rumbo Recorders in January 1987

After some weeks of rehearsal, the band entered Daryl Dragon's Rumbo Recorders in January 1987. Two weeks were spent recording basic tracks, with Clink splicing together the best takes with his razor blade. Clink worked eighteen-hour days for the next month, with Slash overdubbing in the afternoon and evening, and Rose performing vocals. Slash struggled to find a guitar sound before coming up with a Gibson Les Paul copy plugged into a Marshall amplifier. He spent hours with Clink paring down and structuring his solos. The total budget for the album was about $370,000.[2] According to drummer Steven Adler, the percussion was done in just six days, but Rose's vocals took much longer as he insisted on doing them one line at a time, in a perfectionism that drove the rest of the band away from the studio as he worked.[5] Final overdubs and mixing were done at Mediasound Studios, and mastering at Sterling Sound, New York City.[6]

i cant believe they didnt include the raw basic tracks without overdubs from the actual appetite sessions

i cant believe they didnt include the outtakes from the actual appetite sessions

i cant believe they didnt include alternate vocal takes from the actual appetite sessions

i cant believe they didnt include alternate solo takes from the actual appetite sessions

i cant believe that they stuffed this box with useless toys and didnt include all of this!

I think the other big surprise is no live recordings from the vault.  Soundboard live recordings from Roxy March 86 and Whisky  8/23/86 exist but in the hands of very few... also rehearsal tapes exist from early days.  Anybody ever hear Bloodshot Eyes?   It was rehearsed by GNR in the beginning but abandoned as it was an old LA Guns song...  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, kevinb said:

I think the other big surprise is no live recordings from the vault.  Soundboard live recordings from Roxy March 86 and Whisky  8/23/86 exist but in the hands of very few... also rehearsal tapes exist from early days.  Anybody ever hear Bloodshot Eyes?   It was rehearsed by GNR in the beginning but abandoned as it was an old LA Guns song...  

yes yes yes and there must be even more stuff we have no idea of...

for a second (after mitch lafon's post) i believed some of these early 86 recordings would be released...

never heard bloodshot eyes and YES, this is definetely another piece of the puzzle, along with all of the lost Hollywood Rose songs, LA Guns songs and who knows what other early pre-GNR songs that may still exist and we never had the chance to listen to

i suppose our best shot at listening to all of these is when someone releases or leaks them despite of GNR